Beginners and Beyond

New toy for father's day (Read 132 times)

No more marathons

Give me data - lots of data.

Got a new toy for father's day - a foot pod to go with my garmin 210.  Wanted it to gather cadence info.

Used it for the first time today on my regular noon time run.  Wasn’t sure what to expect – have never bothered to count my steps – but always assumed that I was on the low side off the theoretic ideal of 180.  So my results today were a little surprising – especially in their consistency.  My overall average was 178 and a max of 184.

Of course, one run doesn’t tell you much, but wondering what if any experience any of you have, and how do you use this info to help your workouts (if at all)?

Follow-up question would be does anyone know or track what their cadence is, and/or do you care.

Note to LTH:  I know, run by feel, don’t rely on HRM, garmins, etc, etc.  Just wondering what those who like gadgets and the hoi polloi have to say. Wink

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Garmin good!

Something I do now that I never used to is that I strap in my garmin but I don't look at it until I'm done or at least at the last quarter mile of whatever run I'm on.

Only exception would be on track days.  If I'm doing 400 repeats or something, I'll check and reset each 400 but otherwise I just don't look.  That way I don't get bummed too early in a run and if I'm running particularly fast that day I'll just be pleasantly surprised once I'm finished.

Randy

Love the Half

I love the fact that my Garmin allows me to go out and run without worrying about the route and it just plugs in the data.  I typically don't look at it until it's uploaded unless I'm doing something like a tempo run.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

Oh yeah.  And my new Father's Day toy was a Nathan Minimist vest.  It took a bit of time to get the straps adjusted where I wanted but I did a 17 mile long run with it and only went through about half of the 1.5 liter bladder.  I think it will be great for slow long runs (not all of my long runs are slow) and ultras but I can't imagine folks wearing that extra weight in a road race.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

catwhoorg

Labrat

My main use for footpod data is to get at least semi-accurate information during TM workouts.

IF I'm just easy running I tend to skip using it, its all the same pace and log whatever my TM says. (the calibrated footpod and TM usually are within 1-2%, the main variable being the pair of shoes)

But if I'm doing tempo or intervals on the TM, then I attach it and log the data.

My cadence is about 170 during easy runs, upping to 180 during intervals.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Docket_Rocket

I love my footpod.  Enjoy!

And Happy Father's Day, all.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

I track my cadence with a foot pod (all data stored on Garmin Connect).  I really don't do anything with the cadence data though other than saying "Huh, that's interesting."  My cadence is usually right in the 190-195 range but was higher when I ran a 5K two weeks ago.  Like you though bluesky, I don't what that number says about my running.

HOORAY TOYS!

<3