Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies - I'll take the 5th (Read 34 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I do mine on the TM b/c I do not trust myself to run fast enough for the entire time if I ran them on the track (and mostly my coach has me doing 800s, and I feel like I die a slow death each time he has me doing them). 

I find the best way for me to keep pushing at the track, especially for anything longer than 400s is to break the run into 200m sections.  For 800s, divide the goal time by 4 and that's my target for every 200 meters.  It make the 800 less painless and also keeps my on track by letting me check my pace fairly often.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

RunningOnSand

I find the best way for me to keep pushing at the track, especially for anything longer than 400s is to break the run into 200m sections.  For 800s, divide the goal time by 4 and that's my target for every 200 meters.  It make the 800 less painless and also keeps my on track by letting me check my pace fairly often.

Ooh, sage words of advice. Thank you!!! If I work up the courage to run on the track I'll definitely use this advice.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Ooh, sage words of advice. Thank you!!! If I work up the courage to run on the track I'll definitely use this advice.

I hope it helps.  I find the best way to do it is to find the mark on the track where the 200m race starts.  You go from there to the finish for the first 200m, then continue back to the start for the next 200m, and so on.  Good luck.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

LRB

There are all kinds of tricks of the trade to running speed at the track, some of which don't work for others. For me, the most effective one is the thought that I should be able to run any training pace for one stinking lap, or what the hell am I doing this for. Then, I basically just extend it from there. There are days of course when you are affected by outside influences or conditions, but for the most part, it's how I've gotten it done over the years.

ROS- Intervals on the TM? I would be terrified of flying off. Lol

Re: Not doing intervals on a measured course or track...Does your watch respond fast enough to get an accurate pace? I know my current one does not. Oh maybe your just timing .25 on the watch...that just dawned on me...do they have a button for that?

Thanks for the Bday well wishes. Probably no cake for me unfortunately...or alcohol. Drank one beer for DWs Bday last weekend and I was hammered. I’m such a lightweight I probably shouldn’t drink.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Docket_Rocket

I do intervals on the TM, Jake, but I am

not as fast as you so I don’t fall off it.

My trick to running track needs finding a track and there is none where I live.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

I'm not really worried if I run for .24 or .25 or .26 because my garmin is slightly off. Or if I run for 1:34 or 1:35 or 1:36.  I'm sure I get the same workout benefit.  And I'm not checking my watch and aiming for a pace on an interval. I'm running by effort.  So, the only thing running on the track really gives me is more accurate numbers in my log.  And that's not worth the effort to drive somewhere special to run, for me.

Runshortii

ROS- Intervals on the TM? I would be terrified of flying off. Lol

Re: Not doing intervals on a measured course or track...Does your watch respond fast enough to get an accurate pace? I know my current one does not. Oh maybe your just timing .25 on the watch...that just dawned on me...do they have a button for that?

For 200s it does take my watch a few seconds to catch up, but for those I'm generally just going for time anyway. For 400s my watch seems to catch up within .10 in and I try to just base those on effort.

The only intervals I've done on the TM were 1000s. I actually liked it because I just set the pace and held on for dear life. If I had been on the track/road I think I would have slowed down.

Runshortii

I'm not really worried if I run for .24 or .25 or .26 because my garmin is slightly off. Or if I run for 1:34 or 1:35 or 1:36.  I'm sure I get the same workout benefit. So, the only thing running on the track really gives me is more accurate numbers in my log.  And that's not worth the effort to drive somewhere special to run, for me.

This is my thinking too. Plus, I usually do my intervals on the same loop so even if the measurements are slightly off, I figure it still serves as a good tool as far as going back to look in my log to compare

Cyberic

I'm not really worried if I run for .24 or .25 or .26 because my garmin is slightly off. Or if I run for 1:34 or 1:35 or 1:36.  I'm sure I get the same workout benefit.  And I'm not checking my watch and aiming for a pace on an interval. I'm running by effort.  So, the only thing running on the track really gives me is more accurate numbers in my log.  And that's not worth the effort to drive somewhere special to run, for me.

+1

Half Crazy K 2.0

4.5 easy miles.

Docket_Rocket

Just passed 1000 miles for the year.  This is a bit lower than my pre-surgery years but still, super stoked because it's way ahead of what I had last year (surgery year). Big grin

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RunningOnSand

Just passed 1000 miles for the year.  This is a bit lower than my pre-surgery years but still, super stoked because it's way ahead of what I had last year (surgery year). Big grin

Nice work, D!

Cyberic