Beginners and Beyond

AlternateWednesDailies (Read 25 times)

RunningOnSand

Very. 10 miles with 16x400m w/100m recoveries + 2x200m w/200m recoveries. Reps were not super-fast, around LT/HMP. But it was a grind. Coach McMillan says “The goal is to fatigue yourself with the duration of this workout not the speed.” Mission accomplished. He also said to try to get faster with each repeat, and I did OK on that too.

#boss

Cyberic

Congrats on all the workouts, people!

Me, I ran easy 

Cyberic

That McMillan workout is different (from what I usually see). Interesting.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Fred, what's the wind forecast? Always my concern with races near the beach.

Salem, wherever the hell in the state that is.

HEY! That's the capital! And more importantly, DW's hometown. Actually, the "big city" to her hometown.

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred, what's the wind forecast? Always my concern with races near the beach.

It's in the10mph range, which is fine.  Also, some of the course is along tree-lined roads, which will provide some shelter from the wind (though if there aren't enough clouds, they'll also create an oven effect).

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

That McMillan workout is different (from what I usually see). Interesting.

I've certainly never seen anything like it. Stated purpose is "build stamina - lactate threshold speed." It's a bit unusual to see that kind of pace for short intervals, but he seems to like that - calls them "cruise intervals" (although more typically 800m w/200m rec). I don't think there's a single workout in this plan with anything faster than around LT pace.

Dave

Oh and I didn't post yesterday because it was kind of a crazy day. I had to leave the house at 6:30 for customer visits and was going to do 8 miles before that. Long story short, I could not get to sleep at all, and blew off the run so I could at least get a few hours of sleep. I had a long day, which included a flat tire, getting towed to a place to replace a tire I just bought a few months ago, and taking a Lyft to my next stop. Got home 5:30-6:00 PM and debated just skipping it completely, but decided to go out for 6. Which gives me a little red dot on my McMillan/Final Surge training calendar, for coming up short on my planned distance. Oh well, I guess my marathon's shot.

Dave

GinnyinPA

I ran 7 on a lovely 70 degree sunny afternoon.

Cyberic

I've certainly never seen anything like it. Stated purpose is "build stamina - lactate threshold speed." It's a bit unusual to see that kind of pace for short intervals, but he seems to like that - calls them "cruise intervals" (although more typically 800m w/200m rec). I don't think there's a single workout in this plan with anything faster than around LT pace.

Maybe it's taylored for older dudes? I know my body suffers more and more from speed work as I get older, so a plan like that seems interesting to me.

Cyberic

Oh and I didn't post yesterday because it was kind of a crazy day. I had to leave the house at 6:30 for customer visits and was going to do 8 miles before that. Long story short, I could not get to sleep at all, and blew off the run so I could at least get a few hours of sleep. I had a long day, which included a flat tire, getting towed to a place to replace a tire I just bought a few months ago, and taking a Lyft to my next stop. Got home 5:30-6:00 PM and debated just skipping it completely, but decided to go out for 6. Which gives me a little red dot on my McMillan/Final Surge training calendar, for coming up short on my planned distance. Oh well, I guess my marathon's shot.

Not a red dot !!! 

Not a red dot !!! 

I’m planning 7 instead of the scheduled 6 today, so will find out if I get dinged for going over too. The easy runs are actually in ranges of minutes, so I have some leeway, but still expect to exceed the upper limit.

Dave