Beginners and Beyond

Bad ass Image: Mt Everest (Read 527 times)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

This is an amazing image, a smartphone wont do it justice. Photo technology has come a long way from the first digital camera...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/Gigapans/EBC_Pumori_050112_8bit_FLAT/EBC_Pumori_050112_8bit_FLAT.html

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Wow! That was pretty cool.  Thanks, sly.

paulski66

miscreant

This is an amazing image, a smartphone wont do it justice. Photo technology has come a long way from the first digital camera...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/Gigapans/EBC_Pumori_050112_8bit_FLAT/EBC_Pumori_050112_8bit_FLAT.html

I heard the guy who created this image talking about it on NPR the other day. An amazing technical achievement; I can't imagine the time it must have taken to seamlessly stitch all of those smaller images together, and calibrate the lighting, etc.

Apparently, if you zoom into the right areas, you can see climbers on the mountain.

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

If you look at the snow filled 'V' center screen, top third of the image and zoom all the way in you can see a train of climbers.

Following it up looks like could be a few tent camps.

Nasreddin Hoja

It's a Breashears photo.   He's famous as the guy who carried up an IMAX camera on Everest during the disastrous 1996 climbs and his book "High Exposure" was fab.  He started climbing living out of a cardboard box in Jackson during winter.

I'm a huge fan. 

yeoldefatguy

The thing about seeing images like that is there is no real perspective. It always looks like you should be able to see somebody walking around on the rocks. I'm guessing they are around or maybe a little above base camp, which is around 16 or 17,000 feet or something like that. Then you realize they are more than two miles below the summit. Holy crap.

ETA. I figured out the controls. Still holy crap.

Jess runs for bacon

It's a Breashears photo.   He's famous as the guy who carried up an IMAX camera on Everest during the disastrous 1996 climbs and his book "High Exposure" was fab.  He started climbing living out of a cardboard box in Jackson during winter.

I'm a huge fan. 

I need to read that. I am a huge Everest nerd. There's a new book out about the Mallory & Irvine I need to read too.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Wow! That is pretty incredible! Thanks for posting that!

YAYpril - B-Plus

Super cool. Thanks for sharing.

Wandering Wally

It was interesting to zoom around.  Found a few climbers.  Also found several of the temporary bridges in the ice field.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

shu_runner

Awesome!  Thanks for the link.

YAYpril - B-Plus

If you look at the bottom of the V, above the crumbly horizontal part, there's another caravan of climbers and some of their buddies are climbing ahead of them. Cool. I sent it to my husband and he said there are climbers EVERYWHERE. He's a first person shooter video gamer so he has a good eye for this sort of stuff.

Nasreddin Hoja

On one of my climbing sites, this past Spring, they used Google Earth to locate some missing climbers in Peru.  Was pretty interesting the way they did that right in the thread.  Located the tent, the deceased climbers and sent the Responders straight to the site.

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=1887836&tn=260

delicate flower

Cool stuff.  Sheesh, base camp is like a city of tents. 

<3

Samurai in Training

30 minutes looking at this photo.  Amazing.