Beginners and Beyond

The Half Marathon Race during Marathon Training (Read 267 times)

Anomalous

Did you find it necessary to complete the suggested half marathon race during your marathon training? There are only a limited amount of races during the week that I am scheduled to run the half, and unfortunately none of them are local or within reasonable driving distance. I know that doing the race is a beneficial way to help you gauge what your marathon finish time will be, but I may not be able to register for one. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

Trail Monster

Is there a half that works better for you? Closer to home and around the same time? It doesn't have to be the exact week in training but a half will get you a better idea of your abilities. Just switch out that week with the race with the week before or after it in your training schedule.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

During my last marathon training, I had no races from where to do them.  There were NO races anywhere near us because it was 100F down here.  Anyway, I was able to train without the predictor races and still PR at the marathon.  It is not the best option but if you have to, you have to.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Anomalous

Is there a half that works better for you? Closer to home and around the same time? It doesn't have to be the exact week in training but a half will get you a better idea of your abilities. Just switch out that week with the race with the week before or after it in your training schedule.

Right now, the only half that works is RnR Philadelphia. It is actually on the right date and on the east coast. The races that I've seen for the week prior and after are further away.

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

Anomalous

During my last marathon training, I had no races from where to do them.  There were NO races anywhere near us because it was 100F down here.  Anyway, I was able to train without the predictor races and still PR at the marathon.  It is not the best option but if you have to, you have to.

I understand, D. Thanks!

Just B.S.

Personally I don't think a predictor half marathon race is vitally important during training for your first full, especially

if one has done at least a few 1/2's in the recent months leading up to the full training. I think if  one has done a few

halfs (as you have done) and if they have pretty consistent finish times and are really in tune with their reasonable

marathon pace  you should be able to extrapolate a rough finish  time without a race.

Of course if you can get one in, with enough of a lead time prior to the marathon all the better but I don't think it's

worth interferring with a needed long run and  in the last 6 weeks of training I would rather skip the 1/2 and devote

myself to having a good solid build up of long runs.

Also a lot depends on the marathon you are doing.....elevations, expected temps, crowd size etc. A lot of factors

can come into play during the full that a 1/2 race cannot predict.

I had done 16 halfs prior to my first full  and gave myself a finish goal of 4:40 based on a 1,800 ft elevation gain

and came  in at 4:39. My 1/2 PR at the time was 1:59 but I knew with about 1,200 ft of gain in the 2nd half of

the race that the  +20 minutes for my first full was not going to happen. So I planned to go slow,  come across the

half around 2:10 (was actually 2:14) and save some energy for all those hills later on.

So in summary I wouldn't worry too much about getting in the 1/2 race. I would focus more on solid training for the

long runs and a race day strategy appropriate to the particular race.

Anomalous

Personally I don't think a predictor half marathon race is vitally important during training for your first full, especially

if one has done at least a few 1/2's in the recent months leading up to the full training. I think if  one has done a few

halfs (as you have done) and if they have pretty consistent finish times and are really in tune with their reasonable

marathon pace  you should be able to extrapolate a rough finish  time without a race.

Of course if you can get one in, with enough of a lead time prior to the marathon all the better but I don't think it's

worth interferring with a needed long run and  in the last 6 weeks of training I would rather skip the 1/2 and devote

myself to having a good solid build up of long runs.

Also a lot depends on the marathon you are doing.....elevations, expected temps, crowd size etc. A lot of factors

can come into play during the full that a 1/2 race cannot predict.

I had done 16 halfs prior to my first full  and gave myself a finish goal of 4:40 based on a 1,800 ft elevation gain

and came  in at 4:39. My 1/2 PR at the time was 1:59 but I knew with about 1,200 ft of gain in the 2nd half of

the race that the  +20 minutes for my first full was not going to happen. So I planned to go slow,  come across the

half around 2:10 (was actually 2:14) and save some energy for all those hills later on.

So in summary I wouldn't worry too much about getting in the 1/2 race. I would focus more on solid training for the

long runs and a race day strategy appropriate to the particular race.

I appreciate your feedback. You have really given me something to think about. Thank you! Smile

@runjerseygirl

Right now, the only half that works is RnR Philadelphia. It is actually on the right date and on the east coast. The races that I've seen for the week prior and after are further away.

COME SEE ME!!!!!

Do you even run?

Jess runs for bacon

Nikki, I'm not sure where you are at but there is also the Divas Half in Leesburg VA. It's about 3 hours or so from Philly and is in a beautiful area. I have family about 20 minutes from there and I hate Philadelphia so I picked that one Tongue

Anomalous

COME SEE ME!!!!!

LOL!!! We'll see. Smile The funds are the issue at the moment since I'll be traveling to two races next year. Eight ball

Anomalous

Nikki, I'm not sure where you are at but there is also the Divas Half in Leesburg VA. It's about 3 hours or so from Philly and is in a beautiful area. I have family about 20 minutes from there and I hate Philadelphia so I picked that one Tongue

Oh! That's where their new race is located.

Jess runs for bacon

Oh! That's where their new race is located.

It'll be a beast. Pretty hilly out there but what comes up must come down. Beautiful area.

YAYpril - B-Plus

I'm going to train for a September 8 marathon (my first) and there aren't any summer HM's in my area. I'm just going to use my goal spring HM on April 28 as my predictor.

delicate flower

Honestly, I feel the marathon training just gives me an excuse to "have to" run a half marathon during training.  Big grin  I personally wouldn't worry too much about not being able to run a HM though.  Your training should give you a pretty good idea of where you are.  All during training for my last marathon, my 'A-goal' for was 3:45.  I ran a HM four weeks out and all it did was confirm that 3:45 was doable on a good day.  If I hadn't run that HM, my goal would not have changed.

Granted, I am still a noob and have only been through two real marathon training cycles, so there is a pretty good chance I have no idea what the hell I am talking about.

<3

Anomalous

Granted, I am still a noob and have only been through two real marathon training cycles, so there is a pretty good chance I have no idea what the hell I am talking about.

LOL! I think you do, Phil.