Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos 2019 Race 50: Dragon's Den 5K 10K Half (Read 11 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Below is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252050%2520Dragons%2520Den%25205K%252010K%2520Half?sort=2

Full report below.    

BEFORE THE START

My 50th race of 2019 was the Dragon’s Den 5K on August 17, my last race for a while, as I have to take a month off after my pacemaker surgery on August 22. There was also a 10K and a half marathon. Put on by – E-Dragon Productions, this event was held in the VERY hilly Pearsall Park, which is located close to Port San Antonio (formerly Kelly Air Force Base) and Joint Base San Antonio Lackland, the home of Air Force Basic Training.  The Half started at 6:30 a.m., the 10K started at 6:45 a.m. and we 5K folks brought up the rear, starting at 7 a.m.  Because Pearsall Park has pretty limited parking – especially when events are held there, I arrived a bit before the half started and got some convenient parking close to the start/finish area.  I’d already picked up my race packet the day before, so after getting my timing chip I got a few pre-start photos of various people.

After I parked, I saw this....so THAT'S what they did with the hat of the Wicked Witch of the West...

photo IMG_1277_zpsmgsvfowa.jpg

Me and friend Bernadette.  Had to get up early for this one...my eyes are open, I'm awake, I'm awake

photo IMG_1272_zpskwtsptdp.jpg

My friend here did the half, carrying the flag

photo IMG_1276_zpskpgwomuh.jpg

Various participants, supporters, etc.

photo IMG_1269_zpsz6y5jya1.jpg

photo IMG_1273_zpsdwgcp0v6.jpg

photo IMG_1274_zpszu1pesd2.jpg

photo IMG_1275_zpsjv9m5trt.jpg

photo IMG_1278_zpscffhwsor.jpg

photo IMG_1279_zpsrnda97bf.jpg

In the start area

photo IMG_1280_zpsxg8zj13r.jpg

MC Mark

photo IMG_1281_zpsipz2r7ah.jpg

photo IMG_1282_zpsdlupkkak.jpg

photo IMG_1283_zpsef8fwoqf.jpg

photo IMG_1284_zpsx2mguzk4.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Apologies in advance for photo quality, my old-time Canon point-and-shoot is not a great motion camera, so a few blurred photos, but you can kinda make out what is happening.  Just about right from the get-go this course started with the hills. The course surface was a mix of paved trails and off-road gravel, rocky areas, and dirt, with more off-road than on the paved surfaces.  One darn challenging course. I have not run or trained at this park in a while and I sure paid for it,  having to walk more on some of the hills than I had planned to, and ending up with over 12-minute miles and a finish time of 39:41.

Looking ahead of me, at the first hill we are going to climb.  This was less that 1/4 mile from the start line, so hills for us just about right off the bat

photo IMG_1285_zpsizo1mweg.jpg

On the hill now, and looking back down it

photo IMG_1286_zps9nenjhyh.jpg

When we got to the almost-top of the hill, we had another short climb.  Then it was level for just a short time, and then we went down this hill.  When I did the very first  inaugural Dragon's Den race at this park, way back when, this hill was an uphill for us before we headed to the finish.

photo IMG_1288_zpsreyt1qpv.jpg

photo IMG_1289_zps1kwrmsxz.jpg

photo IMG_1290_zpsgi66armt.jpg

photo IMG_1291_zps5klyjn9x.jpg

photo IMG_1292_zps4ssurstb.jpg

photo IMG_1294_zpsybesx727.jpg

When we got to the bottom of the hill, we went onto one of the park's paved trails.  This one had a few inclines  along the way, but nothing you could call a serious hill.  The paved trail took us to a turn that went onto an off-road dirt trail, where we did a loop through the woods. 

My friend, Sammy, coming toward me.  He was doing the half.

photo IMG_1296_zps8vhhtg7g.jpg

photo IMG_1297_zpscioies4z.jpg

This was a dog-friendly event.

photo IMG_1298_zpsincf8tym.jpg

photo IMG_1300_zps9e1u0nec.jpg

photo IMG_1301_zpsq6ixdmza.jpg

After finish the woods loop, we were greeted by our next challenge - going up this hill.  The majority  of people I saw here walked most of this almost-straight-up hill, including me.

photo IMG_1302_zpsdmzwrz8o.jpg

photo IMG_1303_zpsmoa0xbgr.jpg

Behind me

photo IMG_1304_zpszijgp39n.jpg

A little flatter when we finally crested the hill

photo IMG_1305_zpsxywiktii.jpg

Flatter only for a bit though, as we were heading to getting to where these people were already

photo IMG_1306_zps6sa5ehlw.jpg

photo IMG_1308_zpsqfgs1lzi.jpg

Up I go...looking behind me on this hill

photo IMG_1307_zpswo3lwlmc.jpg

After that, non-stop running - or more like shuffling, lol - to the finish. I still ended up 3rd in my 60-69 5K age group; I don’t know how that happened at the snail pace I was going, maybe there were only 3 in my age group. 

AFTER MY FINISH

Finisher medals to all.  Got my medal, got my timing chip removed and then went to my car where I had some ice-water waiting and just sat for a bit, relaxing and rehydrating.  Then it was off to enjoy some of the post-race goodies – which included  Shiner Beer, turkey legs, various fruits, sports drinks, and other items.   Wandered around sipping my beer and getting photos of the happy finishers of their various events.  Some of these people – especially the front-runners – were amazingly fast on these tough, hilly courses.  The guy that won the half did it in 1:27 and that course had some really large hills on it.  The 10K winner did it in 36:52 and the 5K winner was at 20:05.  I’d have to be scraped off the road, lol, if I ever tried to run at those paces.

Happy finishers, award recipients, supporters, volunteers, etc

Happy finisher with his turkey leg

photo IMG_1309_zpsrnqejjcl.jpg

photo IMG_1310_zpsqnlrzs47.jpg

photo IMG_1311_zpsqttlyfln.jpg

photo IMG_1312_zpsnlvyhdhe.jpg

photo IMG_1313_zpsv166ij3p.jpg

photo IMG_1314_zpstbbmubbe.jpg

Yay beer!

photo IMG_1315_zpsolkrvwy3.jpg

photo IMG_1318_zpsivnvxhho.jpg

photo IMG_1316_zpsixubohb9.jpg

photo IMG_1317_zpsbvzm6oa3.jpg

:Play that funky music, white boy."... thanks, Paul!

photo IMG_1319_zpspyrdayca.jpg

photo IMG_1320_zpsmypt6all.jpg

photo IMG_1321_zpskxdnr8gs.jpg

photo IMG_1322_zpsppnzmofa.jpg

photo IMG_1324_zpsgyt9trtk.jpg

photo IMG_1325_zps5vzkpik3.jpg

photo IMG_1326_zpseuqgqmyk.jpg

photo IMG_1328_zpse6wn0q03.jpg

photo IMG_1330_zps64ifilcp.jpg

photo IMG_1331_zps2f9xhkly.jpg

photo IMG_1332_zpslaev2zbx.jpg

photo IMG_1333_zpsnvczydrz.jpg

photo IMG_1334_zpsnvlurz2b.jpg

Happy 10K finishers

photo IMG_1335_zpswl1abthg.jpg

These two did the half

photo IMG_1338_zps9rfmv2vj.jpg

Cool-down after your race, anyone?  Splash-pad

photo IMG_1336_zpsjaabdcbf.jpg

photo IMG_1337_zps8r0rey34.jpg

EPILOGUE

E-Dragon Productions puts on various events over the year and all of the are really good quality events, and often on challenging course.  There were also speakers at various points along all the courses, playing music as you went along, that was a nice touch.  Finisher medals to all, nice quality race tees and/or singlets, and a nice little after-party post-race, with various food and drinks, DJ playing music, and nicely done unique ‘placque” awards for the age-group awardees, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, in each age group.   For the event at Pearsall Park, the park also has a ‘Splashpad” playground area, s after a race on a humid morning, you can remove shoes and socks and go wander around on the splashpad and get a nice cool-down.  A very well organized event, which I would do again – and train smarter, lol, for the next one – and one I would recommend to others.

Big thanks to everyone who made this one happen for we participants.  All the volunteers; iaapweb for timing, results, course setup, etc; law enforcement out there for us; all the sponsors and vendors; all the prepares of the great goodies afterwards, including Shiner Beer; and any others I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you all so much for what you do.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

That looks insanely hilly. Nice that there is the splashpad nearby.

GinnyinPA

Not a PR course, but nice training for someone who wants to do some trail races.

Good luck with your surgery. Keep us posted on your progress please.