Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Docket_Rocket

Pink - well, crap.  Sad  I don't know if anyone really ever fully gets removed from the DL!

Nova - congrats on the progress!

As for me, ortho is now concerned that I've torn my labrum. (oh Mandy, where are you??)  He wants to continue with conservative treatment for now because I have seen some improvement (and because the MRI is supposedly incredibly painful itself), but if by November (November!!), I'm not at 100%, he's going to send me for the MRI with contrast.   Yippee joy.

Seriously?  Ugh!  Hopefully it is not one.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Oski, did you ask whether running will cause it to become worse or more torn?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Thanks Pink.  Smile  I hope you get some good news soon!

Yeah, sounds like surgery is the only real "fix" but many tears don't cause symptoms.  Nothing I have read on Dr. Google is even remotely positive - tough to diagnose, tough to treat, can cause arthritis down the road, etc. etc.

The doctor said to not go crazy running, but I'm wondering if I should stop and if I'm causing more damage.  I only do 10-12 miles/week at this point... but I don't need hip arthritis.   From what I read, my abnormal gait caused by me protecting the back can result in a labral tear - poor movement, repetitive movement, wearing down of the labrum...

Interestingly enough, my grandmother had life long problems with her right hip also - and she ended up breaking that hip after she refused a hip replacement (and that's ultimately what sent her down an ugly path of health problems).   I have a lot of similar traits physically with my grandmother, so I wonder if there's a genetic portion to how we move.

As an aside, I've been planning on getting a tattoo for her on that hip for a while.  I suppose I should wait and see if I need surgery first now, eh.

Hip surgery is so common now.  Ask the Dr if you have replacement now, will your problems go away?  If so, i'd opt for it.  On and have him sew the labrum while he's in there Wink

Hip surgery is so common now.  Ask the Dr if you have replacement now, will your problems go away?  If so, i'd opt for it.  On and have him sew the labrum while he's in there Wink

Oski - if you get opened up, you might as well just have them replace everything.

Dave

Singer who runs a smidge

"We can rebuild him.  We have the technology ..."

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Hip Redux

Maybe I'll get Baboon's surgeon and go superhuman!!

D - no, I didn't ask that specifically because he said it was ok to run as I have been.  But now I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Docket_Rocket

If she said OK, it sounds like it is.  Why worry?  I assume she was a doctor and not a therapist?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

If she said OK, it sounds like it is.  Why worry?  I assume she was a doctor and not a therapist?

It was the orthopedic physician's assistant.   I can't get in to see the ortho physician without a 4 month wait. Roll eyes

Hip Redux

So, to continue my quest to be the top poster in this thread Roll eyes here's the udpate from PT yesterday - she really does not think that I have anything going on with my labrum, and instead suspects that I have a "tight joint capsule" (I haven't yet consulted Dr. Google on that) in addition to the adductor tendinopathy.  We worked on the hip joint a bit yesterday and I will say last night's run was relatively painfree.... except that my ITB started acting up again.   I did some graston this morning so hopefully that will stay at bay.

Singer who runs a smidge

Tight joint capsule.  Sometimes I think they sit together in a back room and create new names for our problems.  "Yeah, she's back again with sore knees.  Let's see, we called it 'chondromalacia' last month.  This month let's go with 'patellofemoral syndrome'!  She'll buy that!!"

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

bluerun

Super B****

I'm going to whine about the fact that I missed my goal in my mile race today partly because of my stupid leg.  Doesn't my ITB know it's supposed to behave until after I've run a mile?!  Geez, can't I get even a little cooperation here?!?!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Docket_Rocket

So, to continue my quest to be the top poster in this thread Roll eyes here's the udpate from PT yesterday - she really does not think that I have anything going on with my labrum, and instead suspects that I have a "tight joint capsule" (I haven't yet consulted Dr. Google on that) in addition to the adductor tendinopathy.  We worked on the hip joint a bit yesterday and I will say last night's run was relatively painfree.... except that my ITB started acting up again.   I did some graston this morning so hopefully that will stay at bay.

Sounds painful.

I wish each one of us were rich.  I'm sure having chiros, PTs, and massage therapist available every day would help with what ails us.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

I'm going to whine about the fact that I missed my goal in my mile race today partly because of my stupid leg.  Doesn't my ITB know it's supposed to behave until after I've run a mile?!  Geez, can't I get even a little cooperation here?!?!

Oh no, frustrating!!  What was your goal?  Was this your first mile?

My ITBS has started to creep up again and I am trying like hell to keep it at bay.  At least I know what worked last time so I have a starting point of things to do.

D - I am spending a friggin fortune on getting better!   Argh.

bluerun

Super B****

Oh no, frustrating!!  What was your goal?  Was this your first mile?

My ITBS has started to creep up again and I am trying like hell to keep it at bay.  At least I know what worked last time so I have a starting point of things to do.

D - I am spending a friggin fortune on getting better!   Argh.

6:45, and it wasn't a reach at all; I ran a 6:50 time trial, for crying out loud!!  But yeah, it was my first mile race, so I was off on my pacing.  I can't blame it ALL on my knee, but it sure didn't help.

I know what worked last time... but it doesn't seem to be working this time!  And seriously, I wouldn't complain about spending all this $$ on fixing my stupid self if it actually WORKED.  Grrrr.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Singer who runs a smidge

My knees both hurt like crap all weekend.  And more people seem to be asking me "Are you limping?", which I guess means either they're worse or I'm showing it more.  Of course, yesterday evening I noticed they barely hurt at all, and they're still feeling good this morning.  I wish I could pinpoint SOMETHING that says "THIS is what makes it worse."  Roll eyes  (Also, THIS is what makes it better would be nice!)