Beginners and Beyond

To Boston or not to Boston MonDAILIES (Read 54 times)

happylily

My prediction was 100 seconds to spare. Last years was 62 seconds...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Home! Tired, sore and ugly. In more positive news, the neighbors dog barked like a lunatic when I pulled up as he usually does, and hasn't stopped since. Hooray for normalcy.

delicate flower

5 miles at 8:02 pace.  After yesterday's run, I was expecting something slow and sore.  After an easy first mile, I got loose and felt really good.  I was dreading my tempo run tomorrow but now I think I'll be ok.  

<3

I'm a Bears fan, so...

+1. I knew they'd be bad this year, but...

My newly adopted homies are not getting off to such a great start either. As if I needed more help hating the Packers - they've beaten both my teams in 2 weeks.

And I've never tried a 1-mile time trial either. I've sometimes wondered, but apparently not enough.

Dave

LRB

+1. I knew they'd be bad this year, but...

My newly adopted homies are not getting off to such a great start either. As if I needed more help hating the Packers - they've beaten both my teams in 2 weeks.

And I've never tried a 1-mile time trial either. I've sometimes wondered, but apparently not enough.

The Lions play there in two weeks, so you they have that to look forward to at least. We may not win another game in my lifetime the way them losers have played the past two weeks.

Based on my 5k PR, McMillan says 5:59. Garmin says my fastest mile (at least in the ~6 months I've had this watch) was 6:21, which was at the very end of that 5k. It also shows the final 0.1 as 5:32, which sounds kind of crazy.

Dave

Cyberic

Appetite is back, decision about today's dailies topic pretty much final. I still have tomorrow off work. Things are looking good 

LRB

Based on my 5k PR, McMillan says 5:59. Garmin says my fastest mile (at least in the ~6 months I've had this watch) was 6:21, which was at the very end of that 5k. It also shows the final 0.1 as 5:32, which sounds kind of crazy.

You would be surprised at how fast you can move for twenty to fifty steps here and there. It's actually pretty cool, until you start to slow down. lol.

You would also be surprised at your mile time if you ever gave it an honest effort. That usually doesn't jive with MRT though, so it's really not fair to judge any race times from the 10k down unless you are training specifically for them. In my opinion that it, others may have a different experience.

bluerun

Super B****

All this talk of mile time trials is making me want to run one. 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

All this talk of mile time trials is making me want to run one. 

I'm guessing those need a lot of concentration, and are more difficult to execute correctly than longer distances. I mean there's less room for error. But that is only a guess, since I've never raced anything that short.

bluerun

Super B****

I'm guessing those need a lot of concentration, and are more difficult to execute correctly than longer distances. I mean there's less room for error. But that is only a guess, since I've never raced anything that short.

I find mile time trials vastly more difficult than mile races.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

If given the choice I would do 200 and 400 meter mile paced repeats, 1000 and 1200 meter intervals at 5k pace, and mile repeats and 3 to 4 mile steady state runs at 10k pace. One workout of each over a 10 day period for a season, with an occasional 10 to 12 mile long run thrown in.

But, if the TT is really bugging you....

From the Internet.

Hm I really do need to find a mile race, then!

Running really hard all alone is hard.

From the Internet.

Not sure I would use a training run for the sake of comparing equivalents (actually I wouldn't) but I get your point.

Keep running, you will get all that was lost and then some.

Yeah that's a good point. I felt like I left everything I had out there, but without other people around, and looking at my watch, and watching for traffic, it's really not the same thing as an actual race.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I ran a bit more than usual over the weekend, so I took today as a rest day.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.