Beginners and Beyond

A progress report of your year thus far: How is it shaping up? (Read 84 times)

LRB

I just completed my tenth event of the year Friday, and will now take a few days off from running to chill.  There have been highs and lows but all in all I am still chugging along.

Injury-wise I had a back strain in late May and some groin thingy this past month or so but neither of them has affected my running too much.

I credit that to my emphasis on strength and flexibility work this year, which probably saved me from a stint on the bench.  Especially with that back thing, that one scared the shit out of me!

What about you, have you reached your goals thus far or are you just beginning to train for them?

Has injury derailed your goals or do you think you will still attain them despite being hurt?

Give yourself a grade for the first 6 months of the year.

bluerun

Super B****

Well... I wanted to PR in every race distance in 2014, and I've only got the five mile left (unsurprising, as I've yet to run one).  So I suppose it's been successful in that respect.

But I've -- no joke -- been injured all year.  Since January 5, anyway.  So not successful there, but if my body is a hateful piece of ****, it simply can't be helped.

As long as I don't get another fracture, I can train through this dumb body for my first marathon... which would be a feat of truly epic proportions. 

I'd give myself a B-.  (For the first six months of the year, since... July has barely started!)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I guess I am doing OK. I'm up to about 40-45 mpw, which is where I want to be. I'm also running every day now and it seems to help. At some point I would like to be closer to 50 mpw but I'm good for now. I have been racing less this year probably because of the endless marathon training I have been doing. Now that that is over (for now) I want to get faster and pr in my 5 and 10K times.  We'll see. It seems like right now I am running just for the fun of it and I think that is how my 38 day streak is still going. I just like it. With no marathons on the horizon I am doing more intervals and shorter tempo runs and it's fun.

For a grade I would say B or B+.

LRB

since... July has barely started!)

I fixed my own post.  Thank you for pointing that out! 

bluerun

Super B****

I fixed my own post.  Thank you for pointing that out! 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

My goal this year was to stay injury free all year. By that I meant never take more than two consecutive days off in the year. That means I have to train smart. In that aspect I'm doing ok. But I'm not totally injury free. Far from it. Had to stop playing hockey because of a groin injury I got from doing lunges that were probably very ugly. I managed to not miss a single day of running, but some days, the first mile was a bit painful. So maybe a C+ in that aspect.

I don't race often, and didn't have any specific objectives in mind when I started the year, but I always have an objective coming into a specific race. My 'ambitious' objective was sub 43:00 for a 10k and I did 42:24. It was a mental victory as I proved to myself I could keep it up when it was real hard. But, I did a positive split race. Went out too fast and just tried to hold on. I'll give myself a B+ for that race. I'm tough, but have a lot to learn on how to race.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Hmmmm.  I guess I give myself a B. I want to run a 5k in under 5 minutes. Hasn't happened yet and I don't really have high hopes for one over the summer due to heat & humidity (or close to ideal summer weather this morning and freaking hills). That said, I feel like I have gotten my 5k times back to where they were 2 years ago. Last year I tried to increase miles (for me at least) and sacrificed speed work to do it. My 5k times reflected that.  All 5 5ks I have done this year have been just under or over 26 minutes.

I have stuck to Daniels' red plan and have 2 weeks left, so that's a win in my book.  I've been running 4, usually 5 times per week for the last 2 months, something I have never done.

Cyberic

I want to run a 5k in under 5 minutes.

Docket_Rocket

So far, the year has been going great.  I am behind on the number of marathons I planned on running but the month before surgery was bad.  I am actually ahead of where I wanted to be mileage wise post surgery so I cannot complain.  Too bad this year has been horrible weatherwise because my asthma is worse than last year.  But very happy to be running without abdominal pain.  You never know how much you were hurting until you hurt no more.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

on my way to badass

My goals started with my first 10K. I did better than I had hoped. 2 weeks later I had a disappointing 10K. I learned that I need more time. I did PR a 5K as well during the training cycle for the 10K. Now I am a week into a HM training cycle. I hit all the workouts. I have broken the 12m/m barrier in my workouts. I kept up with my running all through the horrific winter. So far I give it an A.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Zelanie

Hmm, it's going OK, I guess.  2014 is only my second full year running, and I've had to come face to face with the reality that my improvements are going to be measured in seconds, not minutes, from here on out.  I had hoped for a bit more of the newbie improvements, but no such luck for me.

My spring racing season was a bust.  I did manage to PR in my first race, a 5K, but only because that was a soft 2012 PR.  Since then, I've had disappointing finishes at the 10K, 10 mile, and HM.  Some of it was bad luck and weather, but with the advantage of a little bit of hindsight, I think that a bigger factor was what I think was PF that I kept running through.  Now that I am feeling better, I am realizing how much it took out of me to run through it, although I told myself it was no big deal at the time.

However, overall miles are going well.  Last year at this time, I was injured and only just getting back into running after injuring my knee in my first HM.  This year, so far I haven't had anything like that, luckily.

Looking forward to a summer of solid miles as my marathon plan ramps up!  I'm hoping to add at least 500 miles to last year's mileage, and so far I am on pace to do so.

LRB

...I've had to come face to face with the reality that my improvements are going to be measured in seconds, not minutes, from here on out.

I feel where you are coming from but that is not necessarily written in stone.  From here on out is a long freakin time, especially for you.

No more marathons

Year had been going well, but nagging left glute and hamstring pain are worrisome.

Accomplishments so far:

Boston marathon - goal first set in 1982 - bonus of having run with DS

Senior runner PR in 10K

Senior runner PR in 5K

Senior runner PR in mile and 1500

Planning on running in state senior games in 1500 and 5000 at end of Sep and qualifying for National Senior Games next year - but this damn pain in the ass has me worried.  Taking a few days off, and planning on calling a couple of PTs to see in I can get an appointment.

Oh, and first ever tattoo completed yesterday.  You can teach an old dog new tricks.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

LRB

Oh, and first ever tattoo completed yesterday. 

Pics or it didn't happen!  

You know the rules. 

MothAudio

Focusing on just 2014 I guess you'd have to call it successful or at least pointed in the right direction. While I'll run 1000 miles less most of the miles last year were front-loaded before my event in August. I did run my 1st 100 mile week since the last ASW and my 1st 20 miler in three years. My only race was a slow 23:40 5k - my best [5k] result in 19 months. Admittedly, I haven't competed often. I'm still a l-o-n-g way from where I was 2 years ago * or where I should be but all things considered I'm on the upswing.

* Three minutes slower for 5k and 21 minutes for the half marathon.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile