Beginners and Beyond

Back to the Salt Mines Mondailies (Read 43 times)

The pain seems to come and go on lots of different running parts.  However, my right foot has been aching all day, most likely from all of the ass that it kicked.  My lower right calf has been grumpy all day too.  And after 11 miles of walking, my hips are unhappy.  My stomach feels great though despite the severe abuse I have been putting it through today.  More of the same planned for tomorrow.

Heh, I was getting at something else.

Dave

delicate flower

Heh, I was getting at something else.

Not noticeable, until it is.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

Just spent a bunch of time on the fellrnr site. I found his How Often to Run interesting--I had thought about going back to 4 days per week at the start of this year. That didn't last long, but it's something for me to think about, especially since I never feel "recovered" even at snail pace.

Coastal

Interesting reading on those links.  Heavy discussion.

LM:   Have you thought of going to a different training cycle if Sat/Sun don't work out for you?   As far as choosing a plan goes, as was already said, at some point it doesn't matter what plan, just so long as you pick one of the better ones and reasonably stick to it.  They are all good. Since you know certain types of workouts are problematic, find a plan that minimizes them or take a plan you like and make those tweaks.

Quickadder

Literally, my ONLY goal is to have fun.  I'm burned out right now with racing-racing,  so my "goal" is I want to finish the thing with a smile on my face.  Assuming this goes well, I think I'll be past the mental block, and can look at goals for the next one.

I know where I am, and I know what pace I could theoretically target (per the calculators) if I wanted to work that hard, but I really don't want to deal with the disappointment of almost hitting whatever benchmark.  If I have no time goal, I can't screw it up, you know?

So my goals are: don't get hurt training; enjoy the experience (no death march please); just keep running (no walking aside from aid stations); and finally, not be a total wreck for a month post-race.

LM, I know there has been loads of good advice on plans since you posted this, but not one has prioritized having fun.

I only have one marathon to my name so far, unlike most of the posters here, but I didn’t follow any plan other than to have fun. I was running around 30 mpw on 3-4 days including a Saturday LR followed by a Sunday trail run. Of course I enjoyed the first half of my marathon too much and had to run easy pace the last 10 in order to finish with a smile on my face.

I never set out to do a LR of x miles at y:XX pace, but did end up with two 20+ runs. The first one happened when I started out accompanying one of our Saturday group that had 13 miles at 9:00 pace on her schedule. I expected to drop off her pace after 5 or 6 miles, but completed all 13 (faster than my HM PR!) and then continued for another 8 easy. Get the idea?

I recently signed up for a marathon next March and intend enjoying training and running the race.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Cyberic

Sorry I don't have time to comment much these days. Busy.

I have had very good results off Hansons. 1st marathon, positive split by less than 30 seconds (don't remember the specifics), BQed by more than 10 minutes. Followed the Hanson's plan pretty much spot on. Did not make the LRs much longer, when I did. Read the whole book, and used their philosophy.

I like Daniels philosophy too. Been using his philosophy off and on in my training, and followed his plans twice. Once for a 5K (my first), and I did very good, and for my Spring 2017 half, in which I did very good also.

Although I like to train my own way, it seems I get better results from following canned plans. At least for the workout days.

onemile

LM, I know there has been loads of good advice on plans since you posted this, but not one has prioritized having fun.

That's because we don't run marathons for fun here. We have goals and train for them... the idea of jogging a marathon or not training your best doesn't really make sense to most of us. So we know training plans and we know training. All LM really has to do is increase her long run. She doesn't need a plan. But she asked about plans and we like plans...

Half Crazy K 2.0

Even for fun, there is some level of training that has to happen to avoid a 6-10 mile death march.

RunningOnSand

Even for fun, there is some level of training that has to happen to avoid a 6-10 mile death march.

This! Smile And I know this from personal experience. 

Even for fun, there is some level of training that has to happen to give you the tiniest possible chance to avoid a 6-10 mile death march.

fyp

Dave

Docket_Rocket

That's because we don't run marathons for fun here. We have goals and train for them... the idea of jogging a marathon or not training your best doesn't really make sense to most of us. So we know training plans and we know training. All LM really has to do is increase her long run. She doesn't need a plan. But she asked about plans and we like plans...

Ahem...

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ahem...

And this is why I love you.

onemile

And this is why I love you.

Yet Damaris pays a coach and always has a goal time in mind when she is running her marathons for fun 

Docket_Rocket

Yet Damaris pays a coach and always has a goal time in mind when she is running her marathons for fun 

But not to every marathon!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page