Beginners and Beyond

Training and Running Your First Half (Read 130 times)

Sloooow.

Lots of brilliant information, thank you all so much!

I've only been running for 11 months. For most of that time I was focused on time running, rather than miles. Also, only 3 days a week per C25K! Lol.

I think I'll aim to build to 25 over the next couple of months, I think that is doable. Then a goal of 30-35 peak miles. I struggle a lot with thinking I am taking time away from my family by running too much.

Love the Half

Lots of brilliant information, thank you all so much!

I've only been running for 11 months. For most of that time I was focused on time running, rather than miles. Also, only 3 days a week per C25K! Lol.

I think I'll aim to build to 25 over the next couple of months, I think that is doable. Then a goal of 30-35 peak miles. I struggle a lot with thinking I am taking time away from my family by running too much.

Everyone has to find the right balance between work, family, and exercise.  For me, I had to put exercise in place of things I used to do.  I have a very nice plasma television downstairs and you could just about put a rock through it I watch so little these days.  The time I used to spend watching television is now spent running.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

hog4life

Coralie, I have been running for about 5 years. I've had a couple of setbacks that required some extended time off. I have completed 4 halves.

On the first one, I didn't follow a plan, just kept running and ramping up, no speed work, 3-4 days running, long run at 10, average 20-23 mpw with maybe 28 peak. This one hurt pretty bad as one of my setbacks was prior to this that caused me to miss quite a few runs. I did quite a bit of walking after mile 9. I was sore for many days after this one, but was still pleased with what I accomplished.

The last one was a much better experience as I had a complete training cycle with no interruptions or setbacks.  I averaged about 38 mpw with a peak of 45, 2/wk speed work, 15 mile LR, much more confidence about my fitness, no walking.

All the advice here is solid, the more you can run/build, the better experience you will have. As you continue training through the summer, start thinking about some goals, and if training doesn't go as planned, be prepared to adjust your goals as you get closer to race time. You can and will do this!

Brilliant

I have been running almost 2 years so I don't have expert advice but can tell you what I've done.

I ran my first half after only 6 months; I was barely up to 20 miles per week but had completed a long run of 12 miles so I figured I was ready.  If by "ready" you mean, I can slog through this distance and say I've done it. Roll eyes

My last half was over a year later, and I was still only at 20 miles per week average but had been running that consistently.  So it was a better base.  My time was much improved but I still felt it was somewhat of a struggle to the finish.

...I think I'll aim to build to 25 over the next couple of months, I think that is doable. Then a goal of 30-35 peak miles....

I think you are wise to put your goal race off until spring. Your goal sounds like what I'm doing.  I'm at 25 mpw now, and I am putting almost 6 months between my last half and my next one so that my weekly mileage will be 35 by then.  Also, remember the "rule" (guideline?) that your long run should be no more than 25-30% max of your weekly mileage.  I broke that so many times, but now that my weekly mileage is a bit higher I don't have to. Smile

Love the Half

I'll add one more thing about finding the right balance.  In addition to finding the right balance between work, family, exercise, and other obligations you also have to find the right balance between improvement and injury.  One of the themes you have seen in this thread is that the more miles you can run, the better off you'll be.  That's true.  It's also true that the quicker you ramp up your mileage and, quite bluntly, the more miles you run, the more you risk injury.  Everyone has their limits.  Person "A" who has been running for a year seems to handle 50-60 miles per week without a problem while Person "B" seems to get hurt every time she exceeds 40 miles.  There is a tendency for everyone to think that A is doing something right and B is doing something wrong but the reality is that everyone has limits.  If A tried to run 80 miles per week, she'd get hurt.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to know in advance where your balance lies.  You may be one of those folks who could handle 60-70 miles per week within a year.  You may be one of those folks who needs to be much more cautious.  Anyone who tells you they can predict which will be accurate for you is lying or ignorant.  It just doesn't work that way.  You have to figure it out through a bit of guesswork along with paying close attention to how you feel.

No matter what your plan says, if you feel like you need a day off, take it.  If you don't feel like running hard that day, don't.  Conversely, if you think you can run a few more miles than is called for in a plan, go for it.  I wouldn't advise doing extra speedwork for a bunch of different reasons.  Certain aches and pains are OK.  Some aren't and, once again, no one can tell you if a particular ache or pain is just a normal adjustment to running or the beginnings of an injury.  As a general guideline I use though, I ask myself whether running makes it worse.  If I start running and the discomfort fades, then I'll run through it.  If I start running and the pain gets worse, I'll call it a day.

Good luck and stick around.  We're a bit dysfunctional in here but you will find that hanging out virtually with like minded folks may help to keep you heading out the door.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Also, remember the "rule" (guideline?) that your long run should be no more than 25-30% max of your weekly mileage.  I broke that so many times, but now that my weekly mileage is a bit higher I don't have to. Smile

That may work fine for someone running 6 or more times a week, but it needs to be adjusted if you run only 3-5 times weekly. For 3 times a week 40% should be okay and at 5 times a week I like to keep it under 35%.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

delicate flower

I had been running about six months but only three with any substantial mileage.  I was actually training for a marathon when the HM came along.  Because of marathon training, I had multiple runs of 13+ miles under me for the HM, plus about eight weeks of 40+ mpw.  So, I felt very prepared and the race went well.

<3

Bin Running

Can't help much as my 1st and 2nd was on very low mileage and I didn't enjoy it.

However, I think 20mpw is a pretty decent start. Continue to do what you are doing and I find pfitz plan quite good. This is the only plan I followed so I'm sure other plan shld be good.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

How long had you been running?   About 18 months (this time)

What was your base going into half-marathon training?   Average of about 17 per week with a high of 22.

What plan did you follow?  None

What was your peak mileage?  27, with long runs of 11

Ditto the numbers. I did follow the Hal Higdon beginner plan. It was enough to get my across the finish line in 2:16:20.

- Andrew

Mmmmm...beer

I had been running for six months before my first half, was averaging around 35mpw and had two long runs of 13 miles prior to the race, running six days a week.  I felt well prepared, and other than the crazy heat and going out a lil too fast, it wasn't too bad.  For my second one I was averaging around 50mpw and had around two dozen runs of around 13+ miles (most around 15 miles), was obviously much better prepared for that one.

Oh, forgot, no plan, just easy running.  You can look back through my log to see my training last July/August before my first half in Sept.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

I started running last July and wanted to run an inaugural half in my area the following March. I pulled my groin in December (stretched cold muscles), so I didn't train as much as I had planned. I got up to 27 miles one week and averaged around 25 for the month or so leading up to the race (also 5 days a week). I had a difficult time building up my long run, but did run 10 miles twice (once on my own and once as a race). My goal for the half was just to get some race experience, so I just treated it like a long run with spectators. It was a lot of fun. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Sloooow.

I'll add one more thing about finding the right balance.  In addition to finding the right balance between work, family, exercise, and other obligations you also have to find the right balance between improvement and injury.  One of the themes you have seen in this thread is that the more miles you can run, the better off you'll be.  That's true.  It's also true that the quicker you ramp up your mileage and, quite bluntly, the more miles you run, the more you risk injury.  Everyone has their limits.  Person "A" who has been running for a year seems to handle 50-60 miles per week without a problem while Person "B" seems to get hurt every time she exceeds 40 miles.  There is a tendency for everyone to think that A is doing something right and B is doing something wrong but the reality is that everyone has limits.  If A tried to run 80 miles per week, she'd get hurt.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to know in advance where your balance lies.  You may be one of those folks who could handle 60-70 miles per week within a year.  You may be one of those folks who needs to be much more cautious.  Anyone who tells you they can predict which will be accurate for you is lying or ignorant.  It just doesn't work that way.  You have to figure it out through a bit of guesswork along with paying close attention to how you feel.

No matter what your plan says, if you feel like you need a day off, take it.  If you don't feel like running hard that day, don't.  Conversely, if you think you can run a few more miles than is called for in a plan, go for it.  I wouldn't advise doing extra speedwork for a bunch of different reasons.  Certain aches and pains are OK.  Some aren't and, once again, no one can tell you if a particular ache or pain is just a normal adjustment to running or the beginnings of an injury.  As a general guideline I use though, I ask myself whether running makes it worse.  If I start running and the discomfort fades, then I'll run through it.  If I start running and the pain gets worse, I'll call it a day.

Good luck and stick around.  We're a bit dysfunctional in here but you will find that hanging out virtually with like minded folks may help to keep you heading out the door.

Thanks so much, LtH. I started hanging around in the Beginners Forum at RWOL when I started C25K, I migrated over here with you all after the spam attack. I mainly hang around in the Penguins thread.

My available running time would double if I would get up before the kids. I am going to start working on that. I also know that I will be injury prone, as I'm still 34lbs over-weight. That is why I've been increasing about 5% a week. I had some great advice recently that I was running my easy runs too quick, and slowing down has made a huge difference.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

We were running 20-30 mpw before our first HM in April.  We built our long runs up to 12 in the last weeks before the race, but I wouldn't say it was comfortable the last couple of miles, but at least we were confident that we could go the last mile.  If you ony go 10 for a LR, you might really stress out over a 13 mile race.  So, try to get to 13 since you have so much time.  I wouldn't worry about the time as you are assured of PR as long as you finish.

Good luck Coralie !!!