Beginners and Beyond

Anyone else experience this? (Read 148 times)

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

This is my first week back in training since having to take a week off to deal with a crapola sinus infection and antibiotics.  I climbed back on my legs this week and my feet have been feeling as if they were dipped in concrete and my thighs feel as if they are weighted down.  I'm not hurt or sore; just tight.  On good advice, I've definitely taken it easy this week in regards to effort.

What is this and why does it happen to me every time I take 3 or more days off from running?

Half PR:  1:34 (August, 2012)

Marathon PR:  3:45 (October, 2012)

Next race:  ???

Next Marathon:  2015???

Love the Half

When you take a few days off, you're going to be a bit stiff when you start back.  On top of that, you can be nearly symptom free but your body is still using energy to fight the infection and that's energy you can't use to make your legs turn over.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

MrNamtor

When I take a few days off from running, it's just the opposite of what you guys are saying -  I feel really fresh and my legs feel great.

Guess that just shows how different everyone is. One thing matt is that you didn't just take time off, you were sick and on drugs. These things affect me too. Diet as well. If I'm sick, not eating right and/or taking meds I'm going to feel like crap, which can definitely include stiff legs.

Mmmmm...beer

Read a blurb in RW today that said after 3+ days off, you start to lose the adaptations your body has made to running, such as in your tendons, ligaments and joints.  So if that's true, then it would make sense that you feel tight after a week off.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

Thank you for the responses, all.

I'm going to attempt a long run today; shooting for 18.  Again, it will be by feel only.  Not really worried about pace right now but I know I need the time on my feet.  May is just around the corner...

MrNamtor

Read a blurb in RW today that said after 3+ days off, you start to lose the adaptations your body has made to running, such as in your tendons, ligaments and joints.  So if that's true, then it would make sense that you feel tight after a week off.

Didn't read that, but somehow that seems not to be true.

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

I am completely frustrated.  My congestion has moved into my chest and I'm staying put for the day.  I've never had these type of delays happen in the middle of any training cycle.  I don't really have anyone in real life that I can talk to about what I'm feeling because it (understandably) sounds trite to "complain" about having to take time off.  I'm now reconsidering the Half next weekend and am pretty certain that my time goals for May are shot.

MrNamtor

I am completely frustrated.  My congestion has moved into my chest and I'm staying put for the day.  I've never had these type of delays happen in the middle of any training cycle.  I don't really have anyone in real life that I can talk to about what I'm feeling because it (understandably) sounds trite to "complain" about having to take time off.  I'm now reconsidering the Half next weekend and am pretty certain that my time goals for May are shot.

Don't ever lose sight of the fact that you are in it for the long haul. Rest when you need to rest. And look forward to being healthy and feeling great and strong.

Luke79

Didn't read that, but somehow that seems not to be true.

I agree.

happylily

No. A week off because of sickness and then another week of slower running because you're not 100% back does not mean that your race in May is ruined. It's not like you just started running recently, right? You did a half last August, so you've been running at least a year...

Most of us end up having to take at least a week off during a training cycle. Better a cold than an injury... And you can still do your half next weekend. Since it's a time trial for you, remember that you were sick recently and adjust your result a little, accordingly. No big deal. Plus, you still have time for another time trial about 3 weeks before your marathon. A 10k would be best.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

My schedule got completely screwed up the week or so before my first half.  I still managed to hit the time I was expecting - I got a few quick runs in right before to get the cobwebs off and it was fine.

The bigger problem IMO will be if you are not back to 100% illness wise for next weekend.  So a few days off now to rest up seems more important than ending up not fully beating the cold because you tried to keep running your training runs.

I don't think May is anything to worry about now either!

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

No. A week off because of sickness and then another week of slower running because you're not 100% back does not mean that your race in May is ruined. It's not like you just started running recently, right? You did a half last August, so you've been running at least a year...

Most of us end up having to take at least a week off during a training cycle. Better a cold than an injury... And you can still do your half next weekend. Since it's a time trial for you, remember that you were sick recently and adjust your result a little, accordingly. No big deal. Plus, you still have time for another time trial about 3 weeks before your marathon. A 10k would be best.

That's definitely some good news.  I've been marathoning since 2010 and have been consistently working out since high school.  I guess that all counts!

I did a quick 6 miles today and my legs handled everything well.  My respiration seemed ok if not a little bit more winded than normal.  I'm going to run the half this Saturday with no time goals in mind.  I know I'll get caught up in the heat of the moment but I'm pretty sure my body will dictate my pace at this point.

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

Don't ever lose sight of the fact that you are in it for the long haul. Rest when you need to rest. And look forward to being healthy and feeling great and strong.

So true.  Thanks.