Beginners and Beyond

<3's and FE and Polls, oh my! (Read 285 times)

mucknort

All Righty, folks. I got the answer to what the heck FE meant from Diana (Forum Encounter, a term I've never seen used on any other forum besides here and RWOL.  Even urban dictionary doesn't list this definition for "FE"). Thank you, Diana.

My next question I'll throw out to everyone. I'd make a poll, because I think for a question like this a poll would work easily. But this forum doesn't offer a poll option. If you'd like to vote for adding a poll option, you can follow this link and post something and maybe Eric (Admin) will add the feature: 

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/e1041f1880d34a2aa92dde1c40242226/resume#focus

But I digress, so here's the question. I keep seeing <3 used around here and wonder what does it mean to most members of the B&B? I went to urbandictionary.com for this one, too, and the votes there for best definition are split a number of ways. Here's the 4 main ones:

-Turn your head to the right and it looks like a heart ("I <3 you!!!").

-Turn your head to the left and it looks like a scrotum ("You've got <3 to say that!").

-Go back to the right and it's an ice cream cone (Chocolate <3 are teh best!).

-Turn your head to the left again and it looks like a hat on a butt, also known as asshat (The OP of this thread is such an <3!).

Or is the definition all over the place here, as well, and you just need to look at the context?

(When the <3 had a FE with a B&B member at a race and expressed his undying <3, she shoved her <3 into his <3.)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

I am a big fan of love so I use it as a heart - in fact if you type it in Facebook it actually appears as a heart.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

cmb4314

But I digress, so here's the question. I keep seeing <3 used around here and wonder what does it mean to most members of the B&B? I went to urbandictionary.com for this one, too, and the votes there for best definition are split a number of ways. Here's the 4 main ones:

-Turn your head to the right and it looks like a heart ("I <3 you!!!").

-Turn your head to the left and it looks like a scrotum ("You've got <3 to say that!").

-Go back to the right and it's an ice cream cone (Chocolate <3 are teh best!).

-Turn your head to the left again and it looks like a hat on a butt, also known as asshat (The OP of this thread is such an <3!).

Or is the definition all over the place here, as well, and you just need to look at the context?

(When the <3 had a FE with a B&B member at a race and expressed his undying <3, she shoved her <3 into his <3.)

LOL 

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

"FE" is also the NYSE ticker symbol for FirstEnergy Corporation.

Just sayin' .... Smile

Which, of course, means little to most people, but since I used to work there, I always think of the company when I see FE.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

"FE" is also the NYSE ticker symbol for FirstEnergy Corporation.

Just sayin' .... Smile

Which, of course, means little to most people, but since I used to work there, I always think of the company when I see FE.

It's also the symbol for the element iron.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I <3 FEs.  I've meet some of my best friends from FEs. 

Running is dumb.

xor

Just for clarification on seeing FE "here and RWOL", it's totally an RWOL thing.  Old school RA folks have no idea what it means either.

When I see "FE", I think iron, but that's because I'm anemic.  And yes I do get that it should be Fe.

eric has indicated that he's open to polls.

Eric (admin) is also Eric (developer) and Eric (owner).

My personal opinion of polls is that a poll feature is fine, but a lot of the polls on RWOL were kind of nonsense and people tend to post interesting comments anyway... that's what makes a thread fun.   Also people using poll data and extrapolating it out to the bigger population - yeegads.  So if polls show up or not, it's ok by me.  I like to read posts.

happylily

My answer: you're crazy. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

mucknort

My answer: you're crazy. Big grin

Why, Thank You!

I'd seen FE over on RWOL and didn't ever pay it much attention, but my interest was piqued when I read in the "Cookie" thread that Mandy makes awesome cookies but she only shares with members "she'd had an FE with". It was driving me crazy trying to figure out what I had to do to "FE" Mandy in order to get me some cookie action. Now that I know what it means, and that I won't be anywhere near WI for a while, I'm a sad cookie.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

I <3 FEs.  I've meet some of my best friends from FEs. 

Me too, but the other FE. Not Iron, but the power company!

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Sorry, Mucknort!  Those are my rules.  I make spectacular cookies, but they either have to travel with me or you have to travel here to get them.

Running is dumb.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

<3 is a heart-symbol from way back.  I am not sure we used it on Usenet, but definitely on mailing lists and e.g. Livejournal.  If you want to be ironic you can say "I less than three you!"  Or you can use actual html:  &hearts; = ♥

mucknort

Sorry, Mucknort!  Those are my rules.  I make spectacular cookies, but they either have to travel with me or you have to travel here to get them.

Oooh, okaaay. I'll add it to my pre-race checklist.

-Shoes

-Clothes

-hammer gel

-race packet

-If race is not in Midwest, check to see if MM is on Race List.

-If race is in Midwest, check to see how far drive is to MM

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

-If race is not in Midwest, check to see if MM is on Race List.

If it's not a trail race or an ultra, I probably won't be on the list.  That narrows things down for you considerably.   

Running is dumb.

xor

<3 is a heart-symbol from way back.  I am not sure we used it on Usenet, but definitely on mailing lists and e.g. Livejournal.  If you want to be ironic you can say "I less than three you!"  Or you can use actual html:  &hearts; = ♥

We didn't use it on usenet because we didn't love anything except ST:TNG.

(I'm lying. I vaguely recall it may have come up sometimes because I remember jokes about ice cream cones... <o  and <oo vs <3  )