Beginners and Beyond

There is no easy way to say it so I'll just be blunt: MonDAILIES (Read 40 times)

delicate flower

And then proceed to come to a dead stop in the middle of the road. Or even better, start walking against the pack to try to find friends or parents.

Fortunately this race offered a kids one mile run, plus a 5K.  So most of them did one of those two races.  The 5K starts 10 minutes after the 10K, so it was clear sailing for me.  I was pretty much completely alone from mile 1 to the end of the race.

<3

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

At least with the kids, often they will shoot out ahead of you, before burning themselves out after a quarter mile or so.

If only they would run that far first. My experience has been about 50m then they come to a full stop.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RunningWithMyDog

My day started off kinda cool.

I was at an announcement this morning for funding to refurbish Massey Hall - think of it as Canada's Carnegie Hall.  They had a few artifacts on display - including the events book that had a listing for the wedding reception held on December 28, 1908 for Tom Longboat - the winner of the 1907 Boston Marathon.

10 km on treadmill at lunch: done.  Here's the weird bit: my watch said I was 10 seconds slower than the machine.  Yeah, I'm used to them disagreeing on distance, but on time?

I'll run another slow 6 km home.  Spring has finally arrived in Toronto.

LM17: I've developed a foolproof method for ensuring people never steal my shoes: I wear them a few times.

RunningWithMyDog

And then proceed to come to a dead stop in the middle of the road. Or even better, start walking against the pack to try to find friends or parents.

I ran a 5k across the Brooklyn Bridge and back last year - what a clusterf*ck.  It's the narrowest race ever - and they don't shut down the pedestrian walk on the bridge for the race, so you are running through crowds - including bicycles.

At the start, there was the inevitable kid who shouldn't be at the front.  We run about 100 yards out, and I notice his shoelace is completely undone, and there's a good foot of shoelace on either side, dangling, ready to trip him.  I let him know his shoelace is untied, so he immediately stops and starts to drop to tie it.  I managed to avoid him, but I heard his (I'm guessing) father scream, "NO, BILLY, GET OFF THE ROAD!!!!!"

Good times.

Quote from Half Crazy K 2.0 on 4/30/2018 at 12:11 PM:

^^This.  Every. Damn. Time.

LM17: I've developed a foolproof method for ensuring people never steal my shoes: I wear them a few times.

RWMD, let's see if you come to the same conclusion I did on the identity and goal of the shoe thief:  The shoes in question are about 12 years old.  They have been downgraded multiple times, and are (now were) the emergency flip flops I keep in the trunk of my car.  So: old AF and pretty rough.  They are Rainbows--which if you're familiar with the brand you know--they mold to your feet.  These are old, so they're very molded.  There were various flip flops around on the floor and cubbies when I was looking for my missing shoes, none were the same color leather as mine.  And finally, I had shoved them into the cubby with my bag, so to get them out you would have to really pull, and chances are good you would pull out the bag too.

All this leads me to conclude: this was on purpose, and not just someone who accidentally took the wrong shoes.  One millisecond after putting them on, you'd know they felt wrong, and they were a totally different color from every other pair there.  And IDKH you would have gotten them out without wondering why your shoes are stuffed in with someone else's bag.

Who wants nasty old flip flops?  Serial killers, that's who.  You wait for it, we're going to hear about a yoga studio killer who stalks his victims by stealing their old ass shoes while they're down-dogging, so he can sniff them in his basement until he strikes.  As killers do.  When I go missing, this is the trail you need to follow.

RunningWithMyDog

RWMD, let's see if you come to the same conclusion I did on the identity and goal of the shoe thief:  The shoes in question are about 12 years old.  They have been downgraded multiple times, and are (now were) the emergency flip flops I keep in the trunk of my car.  So: old AF and pretty rough.  They are Rainbows--which if you're familiar with the brand you know--they mold to your feet.  These are old, so they're very molded.  There were various flip flops around on the floor and cubbies when I was looking for my missing shoes, none were the same color leather as mine.  And finally, I had shoved them into the cubby with my bag, so to get them out you would have to really pull, and chances are good you would pull out the bag too.

All this leads me to conclude: this was on purpose, and not just someone who accidentally took the wrong shoes.  One millisecond after putting them on, you'd know they felt wrong, and they were a totally different color from every other pair there.  And IDKH you would have gotten them out without wondering why your shoes are stuffed in with someone else's bag.

Who wants nasty old flip flops?  Serial killers, that's who.  You wait for it, we're going to hear about a yoga studio killer who stalks his victims by stealing their old ass shoes while they're down-dogging, so he can sniff them in his basement until he strikes.  As killers do.  When I go missing, this is the trail you need to follow.

Or...

Let's just say there's a guy - let's call him Running With My Frog.

He has a 6 month old puppy who so far has chewed drywall in three rooms, chewed through numerous electric cables, and most importantly three pairs of my his shoes - running, dress and some topsiders.

It's getting kinda expensive - and RWMF has noticed that the dog only goes after the stinkiest shoes.

So he concocts an elaborate plan...one so clever that no one will ever suspect him...

RunningWithMyDog

By any chance did you write a little movie called Sharknado?

Docket_Rocket

Sheesh, LawyerMom!  Catch the shoe thief!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bert-o

I lost my rama

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

I've been listening to the My Favorite Murder podcast.  This may have some bearing on my active imagination re: serial killers who want my shoes.

But someone totes stole them.  Not an accident.  Not possible.  I'm never going back to that studio because their clientele are assholes.  Serial killer assholes.

delicate flower

I ran 5 miles.  Little league has started.  I park at little league fields and the bike path runs behind them.  The huge lot was packed.  Looked like three games going on.  Summer is almost here!  Sometimes after my runs if there are games going on I'll hang out and watch a little.  Love that baseball.  No watching today though because it was 49 degrees and fts.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

Upper body weights and core work.

sdWhiskers

I ran 5 miles.  Little league has started.  I park at little league fields and the bike path runs behind them.  The huge lot was packed.  Looked like three games going on.  Summer is almost here!  Sometimes after my runs if there are games going on I'll hang out and watch a little.  Love that baseball.  No watching today though because it was 49 degrees and fts.

Our Little League season is almost over...