Beginners and Beyond

Procrastinating Saturdailies (Read 28 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

This is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever done. And I've done a lot of stupid things. It was not a race, it was a damn mountain climbing expedition. I am not even going to report my time, you'll have to check my log, and in doing so I insist you view the course elevation. Anyway, 1st AG, 4th M, 6th OA, because there weren't that many people dumb enough to run this.

Oh, and shoes were OK, but probably could've used crampons attached to them FFS.

Woah, that's some serious hill shit.

Damaris

lol that was exactly why I won. who puts out race effort at a race that is nearly 70 degrees and sunny at the start + stupid winds.

And I have never before had this happen but I got a big blister on my big toe wearing the Adios today. Otherwise they were fine for the distance.

Well I pretty much put out the effort, but IDK why, it was pretty pointless. Turns out I finished 9 min ahead of #2 AG, lol. Also no one less than about a minute in front of or behind me OA. There was a hill climbing ~400 ft over ~0.3 miles at mile 5, FFS. It seemed to go on forever. I was stupidly determined not to walk any of it, although if I had, I couldn't possibly have been going any slower. I guess I will just consider it the greatest hill workout ever. Looking forward to my 17 tomorrow. 

At least for the first mile which was pretty flat, I felt pretty good about the shape I was in, and how the shoes were working. Not that you can tell much from one mile, I guess now I need to run a normal race to validate that.

Dave

onemile

Well I pretty much put out the effort, but IDK why, it was pretty pointless. Turns out I finished 9 min ahead of #2 AG, lol. Also no one less than about a minute in front of or behind me OA. There was a hill climbing ~400 ft over ~0.3 miles at mile 5, FFS. It seemed to go on forever. I was stupidly determined not to walk any of it, although if I had, I couldn't possibly have been going any slower. I guess I will just consider it the greatest hill workout ever. Looking forward to my 17 tomorrow. 

At least for the first mile which was pretty flat, I felt pretty good about the shape I was in, and how the shoes were working. Not that you can tell much from one mile, I guess now I need to run a normal race to validate that.

I felt so good for my first 6:55 paced mile! lol Really, it felt super comfortable and then I hit the first turn around and came back into the wind and my mile 3 I was just baking.  By mile 4 I was firing my coach in my head and then when two super fit looking girls zoomed past me I completely gave up and decided to run the rest easy. (which I didn't do). And then I saw them walking back a half mile later coming toward me and they weren't even wearing bibs or partaking in the race.  

Anyway, I am calling mine a 16 mile with 13 at MP workout.

It's still a little demoralizing though.

At least I only have 6 miles for tomorrow.

At least I only have 6 miles for tomorrow.

You win.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My husband almost destroyed the TM he was so frustrated but both rollers are changed and my TM is silent and good to go.  Phew.

Damaris

No more marathons

This is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever done. And I've done a lot of stupid things. It was not a race, it was a damn mountain climbing expedition. I am not even going to report my time, you'll have to check my log, and in doing so I insist you view the course elevation. Anyway, 1st AG, 4th M, 6th OA, because there weren't that many people dumb enough to run this.

Oh, and shoes were OK, but probably could've used crampons attached to them FFS.

The grade adjusted pace on strava would put you two minutes and thirty seconds faster.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Half Crazy K 2.0

6.7 miles and strength training.

Onemile, congrats on the OA win. Sorry the time wasn't what you wanted, but heat & wind are a tough combo.

Runshorti, nice race! A 20 degree swing in that time sounds awful.

DavePNW, nice mountaineering. Was this a road race?

DavePNW, nice mountaineering. Was this a road race?

Yup. All pavement, through neighborhoods.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ran 6 outside. Only 82F, and that is very rare for April.  Unfortunately, it was windy and dusty and had to stop halfway to cough up a lung.  But overall, a nice run.

Damaris

The grade adjusted pace on strava would put you two minutes and thirty seconds faster.

That would still be a pretty pathetic time for me. IDK how they come up with that, but just looking at it now (for the first time ever). My GAP on the uphills is way faster (and closer to typical 10k pace) than on the downhills. Maybe because the downhills were so steep I was braking all the way down, and probably didn't get the calculated benefit. Also the mile 6 GAP sucked; it was pretty flat but the mile 5 climb destroyed me.

Dave

onemile

That would still be a pretty pathetic time for me. IDK how they come up with that, but just looking at it now (for the first time ever). My GAP on the uphills is way faster (and closer to typical 10k pace) than on the downhills. Maybe because the downhills were so steep I was braking all the way down, and probably didn't get the calculated benefit. Also the mile 6 GAP sucked; it was pretty flat but the mile 5 climb destroyed me.

I put mine into a temperature adjusted calculator and it gave me a 1:34  Ughhhhh. I'd like to think I am in better shape than that

I put mine into a temperature adjusted calculator and it gave me a 1:34  Ughhhhh. I'd like to think I am in better shape than that

As long as we keep our stories straight.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Take this for what it's worth and from my experience, but those calculators do not count the dewpoint (they count the % of humidity).  Higher dewpoints (as the ones you had today) do affect people more than % of humidity in terms of performance.  And dewpoints are something you can't acclimate to so it will always affect you no matter how ready you are to run in those.  So, don't be too sad.  The calculator is not perfect and does not count the effect of running in 60+ dewpoints.

Damaris

Runshortii

It's one of our first warm days around here so maybe there's an acclimation factor? Nice job though!!! That warm up of temps this morning was brutal

It's one of our first warm days around here so maybe there's an acclimation factor? 

Yeah, I believe this is a real thing too.

Dave