Beginners and Beyond

Saturday Penguins are Shaking that Rump! (Read 27 times)

Zelanie

Congrats to Mitch and Jimmy!

I still came in a little flat today in my race.  24 seconds slower than last year on the same course coming off very similar training.  Not really sure what's going on other than progress isn't always linear, you can control the work you put in but not always when you see the results.

It was pretty quiet again where I was in the field, which is a part of it.  This year I was 32/90 OA and 4/15 age group, and it was pretty quiet where I was for most of the race.  Last year I was 57/108 OA and 6/14 AG, so pretty much right in the middle of things.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Finished my 16th race of the year this morning and posted my report and photos.  Yucky weather today.  Very cloudy, overcast, 66 degrees, storms threatening, and 93% humidity and a high dewpoint!  The rain did hold off for the 5K but the humidity was brutal.  I managed to finish in 33:43, even with an extra photo-stop along the way.  I have another 5K tomorrow morning.  I like the 60s temp, but hope that darn humidity level and dewpoint starts dropping!

Hope your boot camp went well, PAD!

Wow, Lauren, your 8-mile time is faster than my 10K time, lol.   Congrats!

Sorry the knee is still plaguing you, Jerry.  Ugg, taxes...I am so glad Gail is the accountant in our family.

Congrats on the new PR, Mitch!

Yay for your beautiful weather, Ginny!  About time you got a break from all that ice and cold!  Give Ben a paw-shake for me!

Did you get your long run in this morning, Jack?

Hope you had a very enjoyable lunch, Cherie!

Probably got to get used to running again, Damaris...your body is probably in shock that you started up again.  It probably won't take you long to get back to normal and back to your 'usual amount" of sweating.    Unless, of course, you're having hot flashes...

Congrats on your race, Zelanie.  Hey, the can't all be PRs, no matter how much we want them all to be.  You did great!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats to Mitch and Jimmy!

I still came in a little flat today in my race.  24 seconds slower than last year on the same course coming off very similar training.  Not really sure what's going on other than progress isn't always linear, you can control the work you put in but not always when you see the results.

It was pretty quiet again where I was in the field, which is a part of it.  This year I was 32/90 OA and 4/15 age group, and it was pretty quiet where I was for most of the race.  Last year I was 57/108 OA and 6/14 AG, so pretty much right in the middle of things.

4th in AG is great.  You'll be #1 in the next AG.  Congrats.

Zelanie

Damn,m Jerry, you're right.  I would have won the 40-44 AG.  Of course, there were only 2 runners in it!

Docket_Rocket

Jerry, we talked about the 13.1 Chicago, but did you like it?  Is it too big? 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Jerry, we talked about the 13.1 Chicago, but did you like it?  Is it too big? 

We have not run any Chicago HM's, only the Northshore (north suburbs) HM last June.  The Michelob ULTRA 13.1 race in June starts and ends about 5 miles south of downtown and runs on Lake Shore Drive.  Looks like about 3,000 runners.  The much bigger race (The Chicago HM) is in September and is in about the same location.  The problem with these is there are no hotels close by and parking is difficult.  Our DD ran the September race several years ago and really liked it.

Docket_Rocket

We have not run any Chicago HM's, only the Northshore (north suburbs) HM last June.  The Michelob ULTRA 13.1 race in June starts and ends about 5 miles south of downtown and runs on Lake Shore Drive.  Looks like about 3,000 runners.  The much bigger race (The Chicago HM) is in September and is in about the same location.  The problem with these is there are no hotels close by and parking is difficult.  Our DD ran the September race several years ago and really liked it.

Sounds small.  Great!

What are the usual temps in June?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

We froze last June at the Northshore race, but it was hot the week before.  For the most part, June is usually mild.

Looks like they run shuttles from Millenium Park downtown to the race which is near the Museum of Science and Industry.

Philliefan33

Hi everyone!  Just dropping in to catch up. It's good to see the usual crowd is here.

I am working on building mileage...the winter and work changes combined to sabotage my running a bit.  But I'm on my way back. I try to at least read the forum a couple times a week, but usually it's so late I don't bother to post.

SheCan

Congratulations, you still did well, and there is improvement in placement. Also, the longer you run, sometimes the improvements are less remarkable than in the beginning, but they're still there.  You're still way young in your running "career."  Great job on the race.

Philliefan-- so glad you took the time to post!  Miss seeing you more.  Glad you're working your miles back up.  When will your race season start, and do you have another Half picked out yet?

Had a nice lunch, and am now feeling super lazy!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Awesome job Zel.  You've put in some great training.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Philliefan33

Cherie, the 5K's are starting up now.   I will do a couple to support their charity but haven't made any definite plans yet. I'm registered for a 10-mile race on May 4th, but I doubt I'll be in racing shape for  that distance by then so it will be more like a long run at harder than normal effort.

I have a couple of HM's in October and November on the radar.

I miss being a regular here, but my workday is much longer now than before and something had to give.   But I'm making plans to change the situation as soon as I'm eligible for early retirement. (end of July 2015).

GinnyinPA

Cherie - good job on the recovery run.  How did it feel?  Hope your wine country luncheon was nice.

Margo - welcome back.  You've been missed.

Z - 24 seconds slower can be a question of dodging one other runner.  You did improve in your age group, which is good.  Next year, you'll place.

Scotty - sorry the humidity got to you so badly.  I hope tomorrow is dryer.

Our hike was a really nice one.  The snow is all gone, finally.  It made such a difference.