Beginners and Beyond

Debut Marathon Coming Up, Opinions Wanted/Needed (Read 92 times)

Goorun

Some very good advice in this thread. Proud of you B&B.

I would say pretty much what SusanRachel said.

Most first time marathon runners never raced anything longer than 1/2, so the pace could feel slow and there is a great danger in that.

I don't think you have enough endurance to run what the pace calculator would suggest based on your best half.

Marathons have two halves which are not an equal distance. Stay on 4:20-4:25 pace till the 20 mile mark and than the second half starts.

Have a good experience. There will be a plenty of time to run more aggressively with the more training if you desire to in the future. 

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Nevrgivup

Some very good advice in this thread. Proud of you B&B.

I would say pretty much what SusanRachel said.

Most first time marathon runners never raced anything longer than 1/2, so the pace could feel slow and there is a great danger in that.

I don't think you have enough endurance to run what the pace calculator would suggest based on your best half.

Marathons have two halves which are not an equal distance. Stay on 4:20-4:25 pace till the 20 mile mark and than the second half starts.

Have a good experience. There will be a plenty of time to run more aggressively with the more training if you desire to in the future. 

I really like this advice. For a first-time marathon, I was always told to run it to finish. You don't want to run it too fast and than blow up at the end. I can't offer much advice myself because I've only run HM's myself, but will be doing my first this April. I can't wait to hear all about it.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del.