Beginners and Beyond

REPORT AND PHOTOS: HOCUS POCUS 5K (Read 9 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below. 

Link to a slideshow of just the photos: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2057%20Hocus%20Pocus%205K

BEFORE THE START

My 57th race of 2016 was Hocus Pocus 5K, a dog friendly event that supported the local Animal Defense League.  This was my first race of 3 races I had scheduled for the Oct  29 - Oct 30 weekend.  This one was held on Oct 29 in the morning at Valero Energy Corporation headquarters.  Valero is a Fortune 100 company and one of the biggest refiners in the world.  Also a good community neighbor as it sponsors and supports a lot of local events, universities, and schools.  This is a popular annual event and this year there were over 600 registered.  I don't know if that included dogs.    Lots of people and dogs in costumes and there was a costume contest also.    I was onsite about an hour before the 9 a.m. start time and wandered around getting some photos.

Sit means SIT, Scottydog.  lol.

photo 001_zpspqltinuf.jpg

photo 002_zps6iu3tdnv.jpg

photo 003_zpsrmkbxmza.jpg

photo 004_zpsljobe2pt.jpg

photo 005_zpsvrrvul12.jpg

photo 006_zpsg7g1huvg.jpg

photo 007_zpse5frz4kh.jpg

photo 008_zpsyqdyptjn.jpg

photo 009_zpsqijzivpd.jpg

photo 011_zpsycpnyf8e.jpg

photo 012_zpsmueuq8ts.jpg

photo 013_zpsimmekgs8.jpg

photo 014_zps1dhzqjjs.jpg

photo 015_zpsowkqmp0m.jpg

photo 016_zps4mifk3ko.jpg

photo 017_zpsap8gkdl5.jpg

photo 019_zpsnpke6yqq.jpg

photo 020_zpsluyeqqbl.jpg

photo 021_zps3xllwnr2.jpg

Me and Race Director Virginia

photo 022_zpscq3qw6uf.jpg

Virginia with local Fox News TV station reporter  Hanna Trippett (if I remember correctly)

photo 024_zpsofidhkgu.jpg

Very nice lady who graciously let me have this "Beauty and the Beast" photo.  I am sure you can figure out who is the beauty.  

photo 025_zpsxd5dv30r.jpg

photo 026_zps43klof4k.jpg

photo 028_zpsdmjkcydr.jpg

photo 029_zpskxoqio6f.jpg

photo 030_zpso5ih0yaz.jpg

photo 031_zps9sdy5wh1.jpg

Two of my pals, Bill and Duke - very speedy, they finished in 20-something.

photo 032_zpsk1vkbhwo.jpg

photo 034_zpsyxdyaq0v.jpg

photo 035_zpsxppneanj.jpg

In the start line crowd....

photo 036_zpsallzfvof.jpg

photo 037_zpsgqfgn9ca.jpg

All those orange shirts are the tech tees that participants got

photo 038_zpscav3yipk.jpg

photo 039_zpstwuxzgos.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Start at Valero, down to a local trailhead, then an out-and-back on off-road paved trails and then back to Valero to finish. For some reason, our 9 a.m. start turned into a 9:30 start, with us waiting for a while in the start chute.  Finally we go got going and it was all good.  With the exception of a downhill to the trail - which was an uphill on the way back to Valero - the course was pretty flat.  I did pretty good, felt pretty strong and ended up with a 33: 44 chip time, good enough for 2nd in my age group.  Nice thing about getting older, your age group is usually smaller than the other age groups. As slow as I run, my personal strategy is to try and outlive the competition 

photo 040_zpsfa9dnyly.jpg

photo 041_zpsura2zchy.jpg

photo 042_zpsnorhjvqg.jpg

photo 044_zpskxpq0blt.jpg

photo 045_zpsbesymmsh.jpg

photo 047_zpsnst2yjuk.jpg

photo 048_zpsksc4owlr.jpg

photo 049_zpsl5juiwst.jpg

photo 050_zpsupswgpee.jpg

photo 052_zpsmvksdwtk.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

My first stop - the Shiner Beer table.   Enjoying a cold one. photo 027_zps5qdtdjd3.jpg

photo 060_zpspxab5da9.jpg

And then...wandering around getting more photos.

This kid ran the whole thing in this outfit...that must've been quite warm!

photo 053_zpsq7kv6jnf.jpg

photo 054_zpsbj5j6x2c.jpg

photo 055_zpszujaqwzw.jpg

photo 056_zpsllc7zt6l.jpg

photo 057_zpspcrrp6vi.jpg

photo 058_zps8e961khu.jpg

Our music man

photo 059_zpsf9r0gnhs.jpg

photo 062_zpsraubvraj.jpg

photo 063_zps2wdmcjiv.jpg

photo 064_zps9ds57c0p.jpg

photo 065_zpsvhmgefcq.jpg

These two are now thinking "Mmmmmm.....lunch!" 

photo 066_zpsyun8xeix.jpg

photo 068_zps8hcddwfs.jpg

photo 069_zps38sbnebe.jpg

photo 070_zpswjkojnbj.jpg

photo 071_zpshcdxoc6e.jpg

photo 073_zps3tbpb9ur.jpg

photo 074_zpsmjr7jyyh.jpg

photo 075_zpsu9lu5jy1.jpg

Me with my pal, Emma, the official dog of Run Wild Sports. Whenever I visit the store, I always bring her a treat.

photo 077_zpsc7fsquqj.jpg

Team iaapweb.com

photo 078_zpss52fyx0i.jpg

EPILOGUE

Put on by Carrera Races, which always throws a good event.  Timing and results done by iaapweb.com, a very good local race management and race coaching/training company.   Nice course, lots of post-race goodies - and lots of free snacks and freebie little food bags for the doggies - nice quality tech tees.  I do several Carrera Races events over the year and they do not disappoint - although there was a little disruption in this one with the start time and a delay in the awards ceremony, but not a really big deal.  Definitely would do this one again and recommend it.   Mucho thanks to all the folks who made this one happen for us:  sponsors, volunteers, law enforcement, Valero for the use of their campus, etc.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Love all the doggie costumes, as well as the more common people in costume.  Folks in SA do seem to enjoy dressing for the occasion.