Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #147 (Read 29 times)

bluerun

Super B****

I had my blood drawn today for a covid-19 antibodies test which apparently is a three-part draw (IGG, IGM & IGA) that detects if you had or currently have it. Then I came home to see on the news that test results for antibodies is wrong almost half of the time.

Bahahaha I had that done a couple of weeks ago, but they just gave positive/negative results, so yesterday I had it done again. I think it's all a load of crap but the guy came to draw my parents' blood and since it wouldn't cost me anything I didn't care if he took mine too. Not like I need it or anything.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

it's all a load of crap

Exxxxxxactly. On a related subject, someone who was sick with the same virus I had tested negative for C19 antibodies. He was so sure he had it, he was willing to bet on it, as was I. What a complete effin S show this whole thing has been and continues to be. smh

Half Crazy K 2.0

I had my blood drawn today for a covid-19 antibodies test which apparently is a three-part draw (IGG, IGM & IGA) that detects if you had or currently have it. Then I came home to see on the news that test results for antibodies is wrong almost half of the time.

Yea, the lab report I got basically says it doesn't rule out the possibility of covid19. Mine only looked for IgG, the ones that develop a while after the infection.

I read this article the same day I got my results. From what I've read, the nasal swab flu test isn't super accurate either.  I know a strain of flu went through my office around the same time, it clearly was outside of what was in our required flu shot. I'm the only lucky on to get pnuemonia and oddly DH never got sick. Everyone else had it go through the entire family, no one got spared.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Exxxxxxactly. On a related subject, someone who was sick with the same virus I had tested negative for C19 antibodies. He was so sure he had it, he was willing to bet on it, as was I. What a complete effin S show this whole thing has been and continues to be. smh

I feel like I've let people down with the negative results. A lot of people have been certain I had it.

sdWhiskers

If I had been sick a few months ago, i'd be curious. But the accuracy of these tests currently is just too poor.

Bad data isn't better than no data. And trying to draw conclusions about the population based on crappy tests (as well as complex biology that isn't well understood) contributes to current shit show.

Runshortii

If I had been sick a few months ago, i'd be curious. But the accuracy of these tests currently is just too poor.

Bad data isn't better than no data. And trying to draw conclusions about the population based on crappy tests (as well as complex biology that isn't well understood) contributes to current shit show.

If I thought the antibody tests were more accurate I would get one, but there’s just no standardization or anything of them. Plus even if you do have antibodies, no one yet knows how long you’re immune for anyways.

Docket_Rocket

Yeah, especially with the amount of companies making these tests with no guidance or regulation, it's hard to predict which ones are good and which ones aren't.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I feel like I've let people down with the negative results. A lot of people have been certain I had it.

I know. People were more convinced that I had it than I was, which, it wasn't like I had to be convinced, I just didn't think about it initially I guess.

LRB

Truth.

My employer is providing the tests which is why I was asking a lot of questions while there (versus asking before deciding to take it). I've said it time and again that they are some incredibly sharp people but with these tests and the lowering of the bar by the FDA for said tests, it's literally a coin toss. I'm not done asking questions and hopefully I'll learn more regardless of if the coin lands on heads or tails.

bluerun

Super B****

My dad definitely had it (and has antibodies), and he is not... the most careful about keeping his germs to himself. So I was exposed to it. Antibodies or not, if I was going to get it, I would have gotten it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog