Beginners and Beyond

Race times in sigs (Read 260 times)

Hip Redux

I don't care to put my times in my signature.  If someone cares that much, they can check the PR section of my log.  I think people here have a pretty good idea what kind of runner I am sans the PR sig.  That said, I don't see it as bragging, and even if some was bragging, so what.   Put them there, don't put them there...I don't mind either way.

That's ok, we know you'll hoar yourself out via other methods.

Big grin

delicate flower

That's ok, we know you'll hoar yourself out via other methods.

Big grin

I know you are wondering why I have not posted today's run on Facebook.  Don't you worry...it'll be out there as soon as I get home from work and download the data.

<3

Sloooow.

I'm very proud of my 33 minute 5K time, but after seeing the mocking over times I would be ecstatic with, I took it down. Is it bragging to be proud of an accomplishment?

Docket_Rocket

Put it back on, missy!

I'm very proud of my 33 minute 5K time, but after seeing the mocking over times I would be ecstatic with, I took it down. Is it bragging to be proud of an accomplishment?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

And that's what really pissed me off about that thread.

You should feel OK in posting your 5K time because it was an accomplishment you are proud of (whether or not it is "bragging" is sort of irrelevant, IMO!).    In reality, our biggest competition is with ourselves - not with people in internet land.   If we get a new PR and beat our old time - that is really the accomplishment that we're after, no?   I'm never going to be a sub-20 min 5k person, but when I knock off time against my old best, I should feel that I've done something pretty cool... regardless if someone else has a "better" time than me.

Docket_Rocket

You should feel OK in posting your 5K time because it was an accomplishment you are proud of (whether or not it is "bragging" is sort of irrelevant, IMO!).    In reality, our biggest competition is with ourselves - not with people in internet land.   If we get a new PR and beat our old time - that is really the accomplishment that we're after, no?   I'm never going to be a sub-20 min 5k person, but when I knock off time against my old best, I should feel that I've done something pretty cool... regardless if someone else has a "better" time than me.

^ This.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MothAudio

I guess it's often about finding people who have similar times to mine, and comparing their workouts to mine.  Do they run their easy miles more slowly?  More quickly?  What times are they aiming for on their speed workouts, etc.

Also it helps me to put some workouts in perspective.  A 4-mile tempo if you're running 7 minute miles is a totally different workout than if you're 3 min/mi slower, for example.  And IMO a 10K is an entirely different race depending upon how close or far away your time is from your lactate threshold.

Well said. As was previously mentioned, this is a running forum, so a little bragging should be acceptable. Of course, some people bitch about every little thing. I don't display my PBs because they were all set in the early 80s but I don't care if anyone else does. I don't judge a person by their race times but by their character. If you spend any time in a given community you'll learn who knows what. My 10k PB is 39:49, from 1982. My Master PB is 43:25, from 2009. I believe I'm much more knowledgable runner now than I was back then. Doing something isn't the same as understanding how you do it. And some people just aren't willing to share or lack the ability to effectively communicate. The list of people I turn to for advice is short, for the reasons mentioned, but ATST do not believe those individuals have a monopoly on sharing of information.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

RSX

Am I supposed to be mocking the runners who can't beat my college times or the ones I can still beat now? At what point do I compare age graded times? (just kidding)

Hip Redux

I don't judge a person by their race times but by their character.

I like this.  Smile

(Can we ask that people start putting in their sig lines if they are a-holes or not?  :P lol)

Docket_Rocket

Well said.

PS, glad to see you here!

Well said. As was previously mentioned, this is a running forum, so a little bragging should be acceptable. Of course, some people bitch about every little thing. I don't display my PBs because they were all set in the early 80s but I don't care if anyone else does. I don't judge a person by their race times but by their character. If you spend any time in a given community you'll learn who knows what. My 10k PB is 39:49, from 1982. My Master PB is 43:25, from 2009. I believe I'm much more knowledgable runner now than I was back then. Doing something isn't the same as understanding how you do it. And some people just aren't willing to share or lack the ability to effectively communicate. The list of people I turn to for advice is short, for the reasons mentioned, but ATST do not believe those individuals have a monopoly on sharing of information.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

YAYpril - B-Plus

I have friends who can run a sub-2 hour HM on 20mpw. Do their accomplishments make me less proud of my own? Nope.

MrNamtor

I don't have a problem with people having times in their sigs.  It shows they are competitive in their running and that's a large part of what it's about for them. Many of the times are averagish anyway, but they've got it out there in front and more power to you if that's your game. I think people run for different reasons though and all of those reasons are good.

Now ridiculing another person's time? No. Someone who does this needs to go to another forum where that's acceptable.And in fact many of them have, which is a good thing.

#artbydmcbride

Attention hooring, bragging, complaining, feeling superior to others, witty comments, real information, sexual innuendo, personal attacks, it's what the internet is for, it's the entertainment we are all here for !  Cool

I like when folks put the names of the races in their sig lines, it's how I know where to see Jack Klompus race!  Big grin

Runners run

Hip Redux

I like when folks put the names of the races in their sig lines, it's how I know where to see Jack Klompus race!  Big grin

I don't put upcoming races because I don't need throngs of my followers showing up and making a scene.  I like to stay low key like that.

Big grin

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

So... you're saying I should not take the bait........ I will go sit in my corner now and think about this and try and use my head more clearly rather than getting defensive Big grin

The top of the muffin is the best part Lily, heck why eat the rest of the muffin when you can enjoy just the top and give the boring part to your dog, or cat, or kid?

LOL +1

I didn't really see anyone specifically claim posting race times was bragging. I saw someone making disparaging comments about someone else's race time, primarily to be insulting and to bait that person. And that person took the bait & responded, and there was an argument about posting race times, how offensive it is to ridicule them, and whether someone could beat someone else in a race that will never happen. However this was not really a discussion about race times, it was just people seeing how much they could piss each other off.

So in any case it really seems to be a non-issue, as demonstrated by most of the posts on this (more rational) thread. It's a running forum, people talk about all aspects of running, and race time is one of them, which happens to be concise enough to be captured in a sig line. And yeah it is bragging a little, as everone who posts them worked hard to achieve them.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)