Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Donavon's Run St. Patrick's Day 5K (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 16th race of 2014, held on March 15, 2014.  Donovan's Run St.Patrick's Day 5K is the ORIGINAL St. Patrick's Day event of San Antonio, started many years ago.  A very popular annual event.  Race venue this year at Lady Bird Johnson Park, a local park with 'greenway' paved trails. Weather was cloudy, spitting rain at us a bit before the start, 66 degrees and a whopping 93 percent humidity.  Maybe 300 or so participants, maybe more than that.  I ended up being 4th in my age group (60-64) with a finish time of 33:43.   The first guy in my age group did it in 21-something.  Speedy old farts in my age group!  Except for me.

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

Before The Start

Your host for this report with some "Green People."

Registration/Timing Chip volunteers

Green Elvis (right) and friends

Doesn't that kid right behind this guy look kind of like a young Barack Obama?

These folks are wearing the nice green tech-tees that were in the race goody bags.

Me and the "Two Sallys" of my running club.   Both my 'running crushes' and both have Great Legs.

This guy was our starter, using his bagpipes to get us going

On The Course

We did a small lap from the start line to the trailhead and then it was on to the cement trails for an out-and-back, then back up to the trailhead, and a return lap to the finish line.

The river ran to the left of the trails on the way out

I've made the turn-around point now and am on the right side of the trail heading back toward the finish.

Finished up and got a pic of my friend Sally (wearing hat) coming to the fnish

At the top of the trailhead...this is the hill we went down starting out and had to come back up to finish

After The Race

Apologies to the folks in these photos. Between the humidity and me sweating all over my lens, some of these photos look very "TV Dream Sequence" and are probably not keepers for you.  However, you can pretty much make out who the folks are, even I did make some of them look like they are in the Witness Protection Program.

Yeah, post-race Guinness!  They had 3 types, a dark, a light, and another one I forget.

The line for the Guinness...popular stuff!

They also had sausages, one of which one lady in this group enjoyed

More Happy Finishers et al....

Green Doggies...

Our MC

"Ugliest Kilt" Contest

The Beethoven Dance Band that played for our entertainment and also did the National Anthem for us before the start.

Epilog

Aside from my photography skills, an excellent 5K, one that continues to be on my race calendar year after year.  Nice course, lots of good folks out there, nice post-race goodies, live music - and sometimes even 'guests' - one year some performers from Cirque de Soleil came out when they were in town for a show.  So with this race you just never know!  If you're ever in San Antonio around St. Patrick's Day, do this one!

Next up for me:  iRunTexas St. Patrick's Day Shamrock Shuffle on March 16, 2014.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Nice run, Scotty!  Looks like a lovely course!

I have been reading so many people's reports from up north about their snowy conditions and indoor running that on the first pass I read your report as "we did a small lap from the start line to the treadmill".   Glad you got to keep running on actual trails instead!

Good luck tomorrow.  My race today was also called the iRun.

SheCan

Lots of greenery in TX this time of year!    Seriously, it looks beautiful around there.

I love these people:

Its no fair, you have all the fun ones down in S.A. with you!  Congratulations on race # 16 of the year and 4th AG!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Cool pics, Scotty.

Even the trees were green!  Smile

GinnyinPA

Looks like a fun race, and a nice place to run.  I like the green outfits, very fitting for St. Paddys.  Guinness was a nice touch, though I'm not sure I could handle that at 8:30 a.m.

Who or what is the Brak Pack?  I've seen their t-shirts on other race reports?

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Way to keep up with the speedy old farts !!!!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

...... Green people lol, how can they see!? Is that some sort of thin fabric or something?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

delicate flower

Looks fun, Scotty!  Since when does Guinness offer a clear beer?

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Looks like a fun race, and a nice place to run.  I like the green outfits, very fitting for St. Paddys.  Guinness was a nice touch, though I'm not sure I could handle that at 8:30 a.m.

Who or what is the Brak Pack?  I've seen their t-shirts on other race reports?

The Brak Pack is a group of runners that meets for group runs during the week.  They usually start and finish in local Brackenridge Park, hence the name "Brak Pak", as "Brak Park" is the shortened local-slang name for the park.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

...... Green people lol, how can they see!? Is that some sort of thin fabric or something?

I don't know exactly what the fabric is, but it is a very thin material and you can see through the face-mask park of it.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Looks fun, Scotty!  Since when does Guinness offer a clear beer?

The Guinness I had was called "Harpers" .  It's like a pale lager and tastes like that.  It may not be actual Guinness, maybe it's a subsidiary brew of Guinness.  Anyway, the Guinness truck was serving it and it was gooooood!

Docket_Rocket

Nice job, Scotty!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Pinktastic

Wow!  This one looks like it was a TON of fun!   Congrats on another Pinktacular race, Scotty!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.