Beginners and Beyond

Dumpster Diving (Read 126 times)

RSX

I joined a meetup running group in my area last year which has been great. Occasionally I take a look at other meetup groups that members belong to. Some belong to more than 10 (just the one for me) and a # of  them look interesting that I may not have thought of. However dumpster diving will not be 1 of the ones I look at, but the description below does sound intriguing. No offense to any of you who may include this sport as a hobby.

Boston area freegan and dumpster diving meetup

Do you want to reduce your consumer impact on the earth, humans, and animals? Are you concerned about the wastefulness of our consumer society? This new meetup group will soon have its first event. What kind of things can we do together? Dumpster dive to find useable goods, share skills on repairing bikes, clothing, computers, etc. We can also organize movie nights, reading groups, dinners-- whatever we like!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I joined a meetup running group in my area last year which has been great. Occasionally I take a look at other meetup groups that members belong to. Some belong to more than 10 (just the one for me) and a # of  them look interesting that I may not have thought of. However dumpster diving will not be 1 of the ones I look at, but the description below does sound intriguing. No offense to any of you who may include this sport as a hobby.

Boston area freegan and dumpster diving meetup

Do you want to reduce your consumer impact on the earth, humans, and animals? Are you concerned about the wastefulness of our consumer society? This new meetup group will soon have its first event. What kind of things can we do together? Dumpster dive to find useable goods, share skills on repairing bikes, clothing, computers, etc. We can also organize movie nights, reading groups, dinners-- whatever we like!

Don't knock it til ya try it!  Wink

Randy

RSX

Don't knock it til ya try it!  Wink

Do you wear goggles and is there a technique involved?

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Dumpster diving is actually a great lower back exercise! Think "core work".

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Hip Redux

Just think of all the possibilities!  Broken TVs!  Rotten food!  Hepatitis!

There is a goodwill in my home town that we call dumpster diving. There are big boxes of stuff. The boxes are like 4x4 and 3 feet tall. They weigh clothes and goods by the pound. My dad found a ping driver for like $1.50. We find lots of our kids clothes 2nd hand.

so this is like dumpster diving that has been presorted Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

When I was a kid we called it garbage picking...

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

LRB

When I first opened this thread a 6:00 am this morning I thought it said dumpster driving.  I even read the text and could not figure it out!  lol

Thank God for coffee!

obiebyke

I used to dumpster dive and it was awesome. There were 3 different places my friends and I went:

1. Breadsmith. The workers knew we were coming and sealed same-day bread in bags, so they were protected from anything else.

2. Whole Foods. Their policy meant they tossed anything remotely bruised, so we got tons of bananas that would just have one bruise on them and have smoothie/pina colada type parties

3. College dumpsters on move out day. Kids would toss out brand new stuff because they didn't want to drag it home.

I haven't dumpster dived (dove?) in years, but I approve.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

happylily

I used to dumpster dive and it was awesome. There were 3 different places my friends and I went:

1. Breadsmith. The workers knew we were coming and sealed same-day bread in bags, so they were protected from anything else.

2. Whole Foods. Their policy meant they tossed anything remotely bruised, so we got tons of bananas that would just have one bruise on them and have smoothie/pina colada type parties

3. College dumpsters on move out day. Kids would toss out brand new stuff because they didn't want to drag it home.

I haven't dumpster dived (dove?) in years, but I approve.

You are brave! I admire you. It's actually something I can picture my wonderfully eccentric, environmentally conscious and financially broke daughter doing. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

We used to do this when I was a kid, and we didn't have much.  Look for textiles.  The scrap they toss is great for quilts and pillows.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

TxDiverMom

I did it once and didn't really plan on it.  I lived and worked for about a year in Lafayette, La.  My house and hubby were still in Houston.  We had to get stuff for my apartment there.  When we were moving me in, hubby was throwing away our trash and saw 2 night stand/end tables in there that had absolutely nothing wrong with them.  They were a little on the cheap side, but fine for my apartment.  There was also a plastic laundry basket and a whole bunch of clothes that appeared clean and like they'd just been put in there.

We took the tables and the laundry basket and wiped them down.  During the year I lived there, I noticed that quite often people move out and leave their stuff or get kicked out and don't come back (they don't want someone to try to collect from them).  If I had been the dumpster diving type or maybe just tall enough t really see in the dumpster very well, I probably could have gotten some good stuff.  So apartment dumpsters might be a good place...sort of like college dumpsters.

RSX

I took a look through the site last night and got the idea that to this group, it was more a hobby than a way to get by. The opening statement makes it seem like a great thing to do for the environment. I read some of the posts, and 1 person lived in an affluent area. Another person was moving to a great area, but was hoping he/she could find this type of group out that way. Under different financial circumstances you do whatever you have to get by.

HobbitLegs

elevenses

It's not dumpster diving, but there is an unwritten code in our neighborhood that anything put out on the curb is for the taking. We've put out stuff we don't want and then have watched to see how long it takes to get picked up. We also got a computer desk that way.

DH likes to dive in the city's paper recycle bin for books and magazines.

Ric-G

can you count it as cross-training???

marathon pr - 3:16