Beginners and Beyond

Report with Photos: Daisy Paws For A Cause 5K (Read 34 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 50th race of 2013. This one supports Daisy Cares, - http://daisycares.com/about - a non-profit corporation created to provide pet food and medical care to needy pets. There was also pet adoption information, treats for the doggies, and some various vendors there. About 200 or so runners and walkers, some with dogs, some without.  Done in a San Antonio  area called Alamo Heights, and quite a hilly course.  My legs were still feeling some of the effects of the 5-mile VERY hilly Whine Run I had done on Monday, so I took this one pretty easy and pretty slow, finishing in 37:02 chip time, averaging just under 12 minutes per mile.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before The Start

Jockey Dog

Two lovely "sisters"

Beauties and the Beast

Getting ready to start..

On The Course

We ran and walked in the city of Alamo Heights, a very pretty little area in the San Antonio area.  Also hilly.  The last hill we climbed as we headed toward the finish was not all that steep, but it steadily climbed for a long way....9/10 of a mile long..and my legs sure felt it, lol.

After The Race

I got some water and then I decided to get some photos with some very pretty ladies.  Big grin

Of course I also got some photos of lots of other beautiful people there...and the beautiful doggies too.

Chillin' out, post-race.  He felt the way I did right after the race, lol. He was fine, though..just resting.

Epilog

Not a big turn-out today but that may be because on Sep 7 in the Austin-San Antonio Corridor area there were 8 other races, including the very popular Burning Pines 5K and 10K at Bastrop State Park.  Fall is coming and there are lots of events scheduled in our area Sep through December.  Although it sure didn't FEEL like Fall for us.  We had cool mornings for the past 3 days, yet on race day the humidity was back and the dew point shot up to over 70...it was VERY stick out there for this event, and temp at start time of 8 a.m. was near 80 degrees already.  Gotta love Texas weather.   Even so, everyone seemed to do okay with it, and Daisy Cares also had lots of 'tubs" of water out at the start/finish that the dogs could drink from, and they were even large enough for the dogs to wade in, which I saw several doing.  Good run for a good cause and I hope this one gets lots more turn-out in the future.   Maybe have it on a Sunday morning.  Not too many local events on a Sunday, and so less competition from other events.  Anyway, a nice event overall with somewhat of a challenging course, but that's okay too.  Definitely would do this one again in the future.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Looks like another fun run.

Congratulations on your 50th race of the year and for supporting man's best friend too!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Zelanie

Looks like the perfect race for Mr. Scottydog, except for those hills!  Glad you had a good time.

GinnyinPA

Sounds like a good race.  Did you have enough treats?

SheCan

What a super fun report!  Congratulations on race 50!  And what a fitting race it was too, and for such a good cause.  Looking at all the runners with their running companions just made me so happy.  Then again, the pet threads have always been my favorite.  Thank you for once again sharing a great RR with us, Scotty!

YAY@50th!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

1) Are nerd glasses a "thing" now?  Kinda cute... but still nerdy, lol.

2) That dog's owner must have been wearing Pearl Izumis, and is going straight to hell. Tongue

Oh and congrats on FIFTY races this year, Scotty!

happylily

1) Are nerd glasses a "thing" now?  Kinda cute... but still nerdy, lol.

2) That dog's owner must have been wearing Pearl Izumis, and is going straight to hell. Tongue

OMG... LOL... Jay... Big grin

Scotty, congratulations on another fun race! You captured perfectly the joy of the event. Lovely looking people with their loving friends. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

Look at all the DOGGERS!!!  My dog would go halfway then decide she's had enough.

<3

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

50 races in one year, wow awesome job!

I'd love to take Rocky to a doggie race....... but he'd have a cow trying to meet EVERY SINGLE DOG there, even during the race itself. We've got one coming up, but he still has a little over 3 weeks to rest (HW treatment).

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)