Beginners and Beyond

Two for two in 2014 (Read 76 times)

No more marathons

Ran my second race of the year this afternoon  Both this 10k and an earlier 4 mile were hosted by local breweries (Oskar Blues for the 4 and Pisgah Brewing for today's race).

Now have two Phat old man PR's and two age group wins this year.

The 10k today was to be a finale hard effort before Boston.  I wanted a PR, but wasn't sure that was possible - no taper and the course was unfamiliar.  turned out to be rolling hills.  knew I needed 7:16 or so to get the PR, and was on pace ( thanks to my trusty Garmin) thru 3 miles, but mile 4 had a sustained upgrade and I fell to 7:40.  Got back on pace for the 5th mile, and got a pleasant surprise with the finale half mile mostly down hill.  Wasn't sure where I was at that point, had no energy to look at my time, but a strong (albeit wheezing like an old man) finish got me in with a 22 second PR @ 44:49.  12th overall (about 100 in the race) and an easy age group win (may have been the only one over 60 in the race  .

Now an easy 10 tomorrow and start to taper for Boston.  Starting to feel a little confident about a goal of 3:45 to 3:50.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Love the Half

Racing with beer.  Pretty sure it doesn't get much better than that.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Racing with beer.  Pretty sure it doesn't get much better than that.

+1.  Congrats on the PR and AG win.

Docket_Rocket

Congrats on the PR and AG win!  Well done.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Starting to feel a little confident about a goal of 3:45 to 3:50.

Excellent!

Congrats on the race!  Have you raced a 10k this close to a marathon in the past?

No more marathons

Excellent!

Congrats on the race!  Have you raced a 10k this close to a marathon in the past?

Not quite this close - 5 weeks before my last marathon in early 2013 (which was my previous second life PR) and a trail 10K three weeks before my BQ in Oct 2012.  And my overall half marathon PR was set one week before my overall marathon PR.  Of course, that was several decades ago when I was young and foolish.  (as opposed to old and fool of shit now  ),

MTA - today was to be a semi recovery MLR and I wasn't sure what to expect given yesterday's effort.  So watch was running but I was not looking at all.  Ran mostly easy but pushed up a few hills.  Ended 10.6 miles with an average time better than my most optimistic MGP.  So feeling a little more confident.

He's a leaker!

Pinktastic

Nicely done!   Congrats on a great race!   Good luck in Boston!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

workinprogress11

Congratulations on the PR and AG win!  I hope you have a great race in Boston.

happylily

Bravo! Very strong running, it bodes well for Boston. Congratulations! 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Congrats, bluesky! Best of luck in Boston!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Awards, PR's, beer, Boston...hell yeah!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your races!  Good luck with Boston!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

No more marathons

Thanks everyone for the Boston well wishes.

Not having a "need " for any particular time might very well lead to a good run.

On thing came up that put a bit of a damper on my 10K time.  I did an age graded check and found that I'm still about a minute off of my best time as a 32 year old.  Here I was thinking I'm finally back on track, only to see I have quite a ways to go.  Once Boston is done I'll have to either shit or get off the pot - put some real effort into 5K and 10K training (which, in my mind means hitting the track on a regular basis) or decide the hell with it and take what I can get.

Fully into taper mode now - actually took a planned day off today.

He's a leaker!