Beginners and Beyond

One done, four to go TuesDAILIES (Read 35 times)

RunningOnSand

Y'all have some nice workouts today!

I didn't check in over the weekend, but got 5 on Saturday, 8 Sunday and 7 Monday.

5.3 TM miles during lunch today.

I keep setting weekly mileage goals (and missing them), but I think I need to change my focus to monthly goals.  I usually do my LR with my SIL and which day we run it depends on when she has to work.  So sometimes it's on Saturday, sometimes Sunday.  My training log weeks are set up to be Sun-Sat, so this can really throw off my weekly totals.  I don't want to change my weeks to Mon-Sun because of how Map My Run's app displays totals (can change it online, but can't change it in the app), so I think I have to change my thinking and instead focus on hitting monthly goals.  I know shifting a run by one day doesn't really affect my training, but the weekly totals mess with my head when I don't reach the goals (even though I'm on track/ahead for monthly totals).

How do y'all set up your logs and do you focus more on weekly mileage or monthly or some other measurement system?

I can totally relate. I have always done Sun - Sat, and my coach does Mon - Sun. So I actually just changed all my logs to Mon - Sat (I keep a google doc spreadsheet) and actually this has relieved me greatly, b/c I also sometimes switch my Sat LR's to Sun LR's and this doesn't mess with my weekly mileage. IDK. It seems like a lot of runners do it that way so in a way I feel like it flows better?? IDK if that makes sense at all. I do focus on weekly mileage right now but that's b/c I'm part of the mileage game and that's set up as a weekly total, and for my own personality i need to hit the smaller mileage goals to nail my bigger mileage goals. Clear as mud? Big grin

I ran my last quasi workout before my HM on Sat! did a dynamic warmup, then did 20 min up, 6x400 @ 2:00 (8:00mm pace -- I think 5k pace?) w/2min JR's, 20 min down. 7 miles total. Felt sufficiently difficult. Big grin But not too bad.

Time to be with the cherubs. Enjoy your food tonight, everyone!

sdWhiskers

How do y'all set up your logs and do you focus more on weekly mileage or monthly or some other measurement system?

When my coach initially suggested doing it Mon-Sun I was like "what?! Nooo!"  but after like 2 weeks it became second nature. I think in terms of Mon-Sun all the time now, for the exact reason you mentioned. Switching my LR between Sat and Sun doesn't matter at all.

I set a goal for 2017 to hit 100 miles for each month and I've extended that to 2018. This keeps me running consistently even when I have no races lined up.

GinnyinPA

I used to be Sunday to Saturday, but like you, my long run day changes all the time. It didn't really bother me to have some weeks longer and some shorter, but when I started this last training cycle I decided to just switch to Monday through Sunday so it would look more consistent.

It was unusually warm here (73) which affected my run badly. That and some lingering congestion meant I had no energy, no breath and no legs. I did 7 miles with 6 or 7 strides, but it was a struggle. I think I'm going to move tomorrow's tempo run rather than try it and fail, dismally.

Half Crazy K 2.0

5 miles. I had the opposite problem from being so cold I was numb. We at least tied a record high today, maybe broke it. It was 78 when I was driving home. Quite a swing from the 2 inches of snow Saturday night.

I do Monday through Sunday. I tend to shift runs around, so this way it doesn't matter which day I do a long run. I prefer Sundays, but will shift if I have something to do or if the weather sucks.

Cyberic

I'm Monday to Sunday. Makes more sense for a running schedule IMO, for all the reasons already mentioned.

Where is my mileage focus at? A little bit of everywhere. Consistent weeks will lead to consistent months, which in turn will lead to consistent cycles, and so on. I would say... months.

delicate flower

5 hilly af miles done.  I had to bail on the track workout because apparently outdoor high school  sports don't have a winter off season down here. 

<3

Docket_Rocket

I have always been Monday to Sunday. Because that's the only right way to do it, of course. 

Pilates, weights, and 6 with hubby.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Coastal

Another vote for Monday thru Sunday.  Why?  Just because, I guess.  However, I have thought of going to a ten day cycle as it is supposed to be better for older runners.  Just seems like a hassle to set it up.

A little over 6 on the TM tonight.   Felt tired, almost bagged it and went home.  Glad I got it in because I supposed to have meetings tomorrow after work.

I have always been Monday to Sunday. Because that's the only right way to do it, of course. that seems to be the way all running logs and training plans are set up. 

^this.

I like tracking weekly mileage because I enjoy the sense of accomplishment of being done with my Sunday run, usually a LR (however you measure it), and posting my total for the week.

Dave