Beginners and Beyond

Going from recovery mode right back into training, a question for you. (Read 88 times)

happylily

My question is that I have 4 weeks of recovery from my last 18 training weeks/2 marathons. I did a 50/70 Pfitz plan, average weekly mileage overall was 59 miles. In four weeks, after my recovery, I want to start the 60/85 plan. But I'm not sure whether it's reasonable, given that I have not built up the mileage for it and will be coming off low mileage weeks, due to recovery. What do you guys think? The first week of training starts at 65 miles. The last week of recovery is 41 miles. Should I add more miles to my last 2 weeks of recovery? Or should I cut some miles off my first two weeks of training? Or maybe I should just not care about it and just dive in, without concern about the jump in mileage. I don't know what to do...  For what it's worth, I feel fine at the moment and I have no pain. I feel like I could start training tonight, but I know it's a false feeling. I'd probably be unable to maintain my training paces.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Or maybe I should just not care about it and just dive in, without concern about the jump in mileage. 

Not sure why you're asking, you know this is what you'll do anyway. 

Kidding. As you know of course I have no real advice whatsoever.

Dave

happylily

Not sure why you're asking, you know this is what you'll do anyway. 

Kidding. As you know of course I have no real advice whatsoever.

Grrr... I'll let you know that my New Year's resolution is to be less stubborn and more willing to train/race in a smart manner. Thanks for the vote of confidence. 

Actually, thanks for replying, even if with just a joke. 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

To me, that many mpw is insane! I suppose I would cut some mileage off the first two weeks and consider it "base building." Wait and see what LtH, Goo, Fuzzy, and wc have to say.

workinprogress11

I know a lot less about this than those mentioned above, but that quick jump in mileage scares me. I think you would be better served easing into it a little more slowly. You don't have to follow the plan to the letter. You are so conditioned as it is that a few lighter weeks aren't going to derail the plan.

happylily

I know a lot less about this than those mentioned above, but that quick jump in mileage scares me. I think you would be better served easing into it a little more slowly. You don't have to follow the plan to the letter. You are so conditioned as it is that a few lighter weeks aren't going to derail the plan.

Jack and Amy, yes, you both make sense. I was considering doing that. I don't have to run all the miles in the plan, I'd be okay if I came out of it with 50 miles less overall. So that could help the easing into it. Thanks for chiming in!

Love the Half

I'd ease into it a bit.  The question is not whether you could handle a 70 mile week right off the bat.  You could.  Hell, you could run 100 miles next week if you wanted and it's highly unlikely you'd get hurt doing it.  Unfortunately, doing either might leave you so fatigued that you'd have to cut back the week after that.  This has been my weekly  mileage post marathon:

I had hoped to be around 70 this week but bronchitis and running don't mix so I'm having to sit on the couch for a few days.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

I would tinker with the plan so that you can start at a lower mileage but make the increases a bit  more aggressive until you are where you're supposed to be with the plan.  And even if you don't end up getting to the 85mpw peak, maybe do a 75-80 instead if your body cannot handle the 85mpw.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

Thanks LTH and D.. I can definitely easy into it. I think I'll try to end the recovery with 44-48 miles in the last week, instead of 41, and then start the first week of training at around 55 miles and build on that over the next 4 weeks. Hopefully by week 4 or 5 of the training, I will have caught up with the plan. If not, no big deal.

You are right, Brad, that a sudden mileage increase would only leave me more tired in the following weeks. It would be counter-productive...

I agree with LtH. Ease into it. My opinion is you could probably jump right into it but I think you'd be better off in the long run taking a couple weeks to catch up to the plan.

MothAudio

Don't cheat the recovery. I'd ease back into the schedule when it begins. Would this be another 18 week schedule? If so, I would definitely ease back in. Also think about the big picture, consider the training and racing you've done this year and ask yourself "what do I need?"

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

happylily

Don't cheat the recovery. I'd ease back into the schedule when it begins. Would this be another 18 week schedule? If so, I would definitely ease back in. Also think about the big picture, consider the training and racing you've done this year and ask yourself "what do I need?"

Very wise words, Mike. Thanks a lot.

And thank you as well, Fuzzy!

I'm guessing that easing back into the higher mileage is the "right" answer, but I also feel that when you've been in marathon training mode for not months but years, you can sort of do what you damn well please, within reason.