Beginners and Beyond

Colchester Half Marathon RR (I'll try to be brief) (Read 89 times)

Great job! Big grin

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

LRB

I wish I could quantify how much faster I'll be on a flat course. 

Let's start with GMP. In fact, let's end it there as well. 

onemile

Thanks for the comments!  Now that I've had a little time to digest this, I'm feeling really good about my performance.

I wish I could quantify how much faster I'll be on a flat course.  My next HM is also hilly but has about 60% of the elevation gain as this one with nothing steep.  I ran that one in 1:38:23 last year.  This race I did Saturday, there are couple of hills you see in the road ahead and you just think "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck."  Anyway, I'm just having a hard time knowing what to shoot for next race.

I would shoot for 7:00 but you are fitter than me. Looking forward to seeing what you do!

delicate flower

I would shoot for 7:00 but you are fitter than me. Looking forward to seeing what you do!

One thing I love about Athlinks is that it makes race stalking so much easier.  Bring up a race's results, click on a person's name, and you can see all their other results.  Looks like this is the slowest HM for most people, and their times in their next HM improve by anywhere from a minute to 12 minutes.  I was looking at people around my finish time.  That gap shortens as you move closer to the front of the pack, which doesn't surprise me.  People winning races don't suck at hills like I do.

<3

Outstanding job, sir! What a difference a year makes. And even on a miserable course like this, you beat my PR by 12 sec. I do have some familiarity with those CT hills, and all I can say is bleah. I can see an RD laughing is butt off designing that uphill from 12 to 13. Brutal. You are in tremendous shape right now, anxious to see the results of the upcoming flatter HM. And obviously the Big One in 7 weeks.

Dave

LRB

One thing I love about Athlinks is that it makes race stalking so much easier.

Wow, I haven't been on that site in forever.

Probably should do that one of these days...

delicate flower

Outstanding job, sir! What a difference a year makes. And even on a miserable course like this, you beat my PR by 12 sec. I do have some familiarity with those CT hills, and all I can say is bleah. I can see an RD laughing is butt off designing that uphill from 12 to 13. Brutal. You are in tremendous shape right now, anxious to see the results of the upcoming flatter HM. And obviously the Big One in 7 weeks.

Thanks, DaveMichigan!  Truth:  The RD for this race hangs out on the mile six hill cheering, clapping, giving high fives, and running next to people going up the hill.  It's awesome!  "Where you from!?  First time doing it!?  How do like it!?"  My answers:  *inaudible grunt*

<3

workinprogress11

That course profile is nuts. Being from the flatlands, I can't imagine running a decent race there. You did a fantastic job and your training is certainly paying off. Congratulations!

bluerun

Super B****

That elevation profile looks kind of brutal.  Awesome result, if you ask me!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

MothAudio

Congrats Phil! I experienced a similar drop off from my master PB in one year so I know you must be excited to crack 1:40.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your improvement from last  year's race, Baboon, and good race for you!

When I saw "Colchester", made me think of my Colchester 10-miler some years back..which was in Colchester, England. We didn't have cows along the way...but some of us had to slow down as we made our way at one point through a flock of sheep crossing the road, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

Whoops I read this and then forgot to reply like 6 times.

That elevation profile is no joke, the hill all the way to the end would kill me! Awesome job on a tough course, can't wait to see how you do in a flat race!

Great job.

Zelanie

Redemption!  It must feel so good to leave last year's race in the past.  Your training this year seems to be going really well- good luck next time out (also, that is a brilliant use for athlinks. Smile )