Beginners and Beyond

Crazy Thursday Penguins! (Read 8 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

So my nephew (the youngest) is ... let's see ... seven now.  On Tuesday he was at reading camp and complained that his stomach was hurting.  He went to the bathroom, pooped, and it was just blood and clots.  So the folks freaked out and called my sister and had him transported to the local hospital, where they also freaked and had him transported to the Children's hospital in Charlotte.  Long story short, he was diagnosed with some type of diverticulitis and they had to do surgery to remove part of the small intestine that was bleeding.  He had a couple of transfusions, but as of this morning (surgery was last night), he was sore, but feeling better.

And what I didn't tell my mother, because she didn't need to worry (and she would've) is that I did a home test last night for sleep apnea.  I won't find out the results until the end of August, but it was certainly interesting trying to sleep with all the wires and things.  I don't suppose there's any other good way to test for apnea, but I wonder if I ever fell asleep deeply enough to have an episode.  I certainly had weird dreams about the wires and all!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

HM - wow - that poor kid.  I hope he gets better quickly. I can't imagine trying to sleep with wires etc.But then, I've seen C-PAP masks and can't imagine trying to sleep with that either.  I have enough trouble with insomnia.

Hot and humid here - feels like of 95 this afternoon. I may take a rest day. I've been having trouble sleeping and think I may be feeling overtired. I don't do enough to qualify as over-trained, but my legs are tired and so am I. It's supposed to cool off tomorrow and Saturday, but with rain. Better than humid heat.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  I went to OTF and ran 1.95 while there (power day, so easy, fast, faster, WTF, repeat).  I have Pilates and 6 miles tonight.

HopesMom, OMG, wow.  Sorry about your nephew. I didn't know diverticulitis could happen that young. Hope he gets better soon.  I would be having weird dreams with the wires too.

Ginny, rest!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Just found something terrible happened to a friend of mine.  I've been asked to keep it quiet for a bit.  No details. 

Docket_Rocket

I'm sorry!  This Thursday has sucked for you. Sad

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Easy day today.  3.2 miles this morning through a very nice park.  Rest day tomorrow, along with getting my back injections tomorrow for my spinal arthritis - I am down to one time a year now, which is a lot of improvement thankfully - and then I have 2 races this weekend.

So sorry, HopesMom...you are having a helluva mentally bad day!   Hope things get better for your friend and your nephew.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Actually, I think it's mostly yesterday that sucked, today is just the aftermath.  Yesterday is also the 2-year anniversary of a dear friend's husband's death.  We've decided in future years that July 26th should not exist.

I'm sorry!  This Thursday has sucked for you. Sad

GinnyinPA

HopesMom - I'm sorry that this has been such a hard day for you and the people around you. I hope you can help your friend.

D - nice work on the OT.

Scotty - enjoy your rest day tomorrow. I hope the shot helps.

We went to the state park for a very hike. Ben spent most of the time in the creek, so he was happy. I enjoyed the cool shade.