Beginners and Beyond

Report with Photos: Mustache Dache 5K (Read 39 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

Mustache Dache 5K.  This was my 65th race of 2013.  Event was held on November 23, 2013 at 9 a.m. I ended up managing to finish in 33:16 chip time.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

The Mustache Dache 5K support Movember, the global men’s health charity, combat prostate and testicular cancer.  Similar to "Race For The Cure" this is a national event with races held in November in various cities across the US.  You can find out lots of info about this event on the Mustache Dache website: http://mustachedache.com/about/.    San Antonio had a 'cold front' move in on Friday, the 22, and by Saturday morning the temp at start time was a whopping 41 degrees, with a 'feels like' temp of 37 - COLD for we South Texans - and wind of 11 - 20 mph. Rain threatened, but the rain did hold off, thank goodness.  Even with the crappy weather, a very nice turn-out for this event, about 600 participants, and lots of folks in costume.  The race was organized by Carrera Races,  in my humble opinion, one of the
    Top 3 local area racing companies that do race organization, packet-pick up, etc.  Carrera Races often works with one of the other Top 3 local companies - iaapweb.com, who does course set up, race timing, etc., and they did the timing for today's race.

The race venue was an area called Eilan, a community with luxury hotel, luxury apartments, businesses, etc. These are a couple of the buildings we passed by during the race.

Nice tech-tee race shirt in the goody bag...

The race bibs had a mustachioed running 'super-hero' on them

Before The Start

With the cold weather, chip pickup, the vendors, etc. were located on the ground floor of the parking garage.  This was much appreciated because it let us get out of the wind while we participants were waiting for the start.   Eilan Management also graciously opened the lobbies of a few of the buildings for us so we could stay warm.  And also use warm inside restrooms instead of porta-potties, which was also appreciated.

I wandered into the garage and found Race Director, Virginia, one of the nicest people ever, with friend and race volunteer

I got my timing chip and Virginia kindly attached it to my shoe, since my arthritic fingers have problems gripping small items - I always have problems tying those twine-thingys for the chip - and then I wandered around and got some pre-start photos of participants, volunteers, et al...

On The Course

The course was 2 loops around the Eilan area, with a couple of hills along the way for each loop.  We got quite lucky with the weather because at start time the wind dropped a little - it only hit us on just a couple spots on the course - and the threatening rain did not come at all during the race. It did not feel all that cold to me when I was at start line, so I ditched my hat for the race, and just wore my headband.

This lady carried that pan and roller for the whole race.

After The Race

I ran in the last 1.3 miles nonstop, got my breath back, and then got some post-race photos. You will see folks wearing medals.   Every finisher of the Mustache Dache gets a "mustache" medal.  Here is a close-up photo of mine

Post-race, near the finish line area.

The back of their shirts...funny...get it?  I really  'must dache".....lol...

After that I went back into the parking garage....and saw two guys with beer...

So I went and got some.  Alamo Brewery lagers, good stuff! They had a choice of dark or light....I chose the light...

There was also Miller MG64 available too.  After I indulged in my light ale, I continued on my photo quest.

Oooops,. cut the guy's head off above.....retry...

These guys were giving out dark chocolate "mustache on a stick."  They were gooood!

My pal Bernadette was an age-group winner.  AG awards were the "Mustache Dache" glass/goblet she is holding.

EPILOG

Even with the unusual November weather for us - it is usually in the 60s and 70s this time of year for us in San Antonio - nice turn-out and a very fun event.   If you have a Mustache Dache in a city near you, definitely do it!   Lots of fun for a good cause.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

I still say San Antonioans (?Confused?) must be the funnest people ever.  This race looks like such a hoot, even if y'all also looked cold.  Glad you had a good race.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

LRB

41 degrees?  Some of the people were dressed as if there was a minus sign in front of that number.  lol

Zelanie

Scotty- Looks like another fun one!  Nice that you were able to come pre-mustached.

GinnyinPA

Love the mustaches and t-shirts.  Looks like a fun event.

happylily

Love all the mustaches, Scotty, but yours will always be my bestest. Big grin Congratulations to Bernadette on her AG awards! Those bibs and medals were pretty nifty. Cool race, congrats on your 65th race of the year!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I am so jealous of the warm weather.  Congrats on #65,