Beginners and Beyond

Smileys (Read 795 times)

Little Blue

Don't hate, lol cats are my fave.  Blushing smiley guy.

<-- you mean this guy?

Not hating at all.  I love lol cats, and am thoroughly entertained by such RRs.  And cats. 

xor

Blush  (actual blushing smiley guy...)

The smiley list here, while compact, is fun to ponder just to wonder "why THESE?"  I mean, most make perfect sense.

Then you get to the eight ball smiley.  Eight ball   I mean, I get the whole magic eight ball reference, but of all the 1000s of random smileys there could be, why do we have the basic emotions.... and the 8 ball.

LRB

God Bless America - the path to knowledge is a two way street.  And while RA definitely has some cool runners (see what I did there?), so do we.

While we absorb and learn the ways of the establishment (RA) during this transition, they too can absorb and learn some things that we do. 

All I ask is to let it play out, and I promise that ultimately they will find, that we are bringing more to the table, than we will ever take.

Where would we all be without the dancing banana? 

BIS

High Horse

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member ~ Groucho Marx.

bhearn

Then you get to the eight ball smiley.  Eight ball   I mean, I get the whole magic eight ball reference, but of all the 1000s of random smileys there could be, why do we have the basic emotions.... and the 8 ball.

Really, you don't know why we have the 8 ball? That's right; you're new in... that place.

And yes. When I look at a forum where smilies are used more... like chrunners... I find it more than a little ridiculous and embarrassing. If those people could only see their posts the way I see them. All a matter of what you're used to, I guess.

LRB

Doing your own thing applies to all phases of your life whether in the real world or the interwebz.

I cannot be overly concerned with what my friends, neighbors or coworkers think of me.  I would like to think they think positively of me, but if they don't, oh well.  I have a life to live, mine.  So you do you, and I'll do me.

At some point, the training wheels are going to come off and dad is going to let go.  Yes, there will be wounds and there may be tears.  But one way or another, I am going to ride that bike.

Don't call me Buttercup!

Doing your own thing applies to all phases of your life whether in the real world or the interwebz.

I cannot be overly concerned with what my friends, neighbors or coworkers think of me.  I would like to think they think positively of me, but if they don't, oh well.  I have a life to live, mine.  So you do you, and I'll do me.

At some point, the training wheels are going to come off and dad is going to let go.  Yes, there will be wounds and there may be tears.  But one way or another, I am going to ride that bike.

Ah, LRB, I have missed you.  =)  

As for smileys and pictures.... Que sera, sera.  I gotta be me, and all that jazz.  Life is too freaking serious 99% of the time - if I need a dancing banana, then I need a dancing banana, dammit.   But I can see not being in love with smileys.  To each their own. 

(and to me...  a dancing banana!) 

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

I feel like I moved to a foreign country and am inadvertently giving the natives the finger every time I smile at them...  sigh...

Though this is all good information, SRL.  Just makes me want to lurk outside of our own little user group for a while, though.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

runfoolery

When you visit Japan, never offer anyone a tip. Unless you want to insult them.

runfoolery

Sometimes I just like to repeat myself

xor

When you visit Japan, never offer anyone a tip. Unless you want to insult them.

Kind of reminds me of Mark Z. Facebook getting married this year, going to Europe for the honeymoon, and getting nailed repeatedly for being a cheap bastard because he wasn't tipping.  This was huge buzz in twitter and various american-centric internet things.

Which... well, he might be a cheap bastard, I dunno.  And facebook sucks.  But nailing someone for tipping etiquette without understanding 1) what he actually did and b) what the etiquette IS in various locales is about as ugly American as actually being ugly American across the various ponds.