Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES: Wakey Wakey (Read 33 times)

delicate flower

Can I ask what your job is?  From things I’ve seen you post in the past, I think we might have very similar jobs.

I am a payroll manager for a healthcare organization (five hospitals plus lots of doctor's offices).  Currently trying to juggle payroll year end, the annual bonus cycle, production payroll, and implementing a new payroll/HR system.  My two analysts have been sick the past two weeks so I've had to fill in for them for meetings and project work.  It's been overwhelming.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Have you all gotten the stupid Bird & Lime scooters? The pedestrians & cyclists near my work are crazy enough, now we have scooters everywhere. Some ride on the road with traffic, some against and some on the sidewalk. It's a total free for all.

We had the bikes in my suburb and now they are bringing the fucking scooters.  The bikes are already thrown everywhere improperly, I cannot wait until I trip on a fucking scooter while running.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

Baltimore got rid of the bikes. The scooters keep winding up in the harbor or vacant rowhomes.

onemile

The Bird scooters were here for about a month before the city kicked them out.  My co-worker and I took them for a spin over lunch and it was fun. I don't really get all the hate.

RunningOnSand

The Bird scooters were here for about a month before the city kicked them out.  My co-worker and I took them for a spin over lunch and it was fun. I don't really get all the hate.

So they had those in Indy! THat's actually how my husband and our friend spectated the marathon. The crazy thing is, the scooters go like 18mph. Which doesn't sound super fast, but when you're considering it's you. On a scooter, and most people don't wear helmets.  But he had fun. Smile

sdWhiskers

Amazingly I haven’t seen any of the rental scooters here, just the rental bikes. But I saw some of those when I was in San Diego (Whiskers warned me), and they just looked like people ready to get themselves killed.

The local trauma centers have been compiling the data on the injuries for when the city votes to keep/remove the scooters. Seems like broken femurs are the most common injuries in the news. I'll take my chances with running.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

In Ft. Lauderdale, they are about to take them out.  People have run over them because they are dropped in the middle of the sidewalks, accidents, and some are just thrown in neighborhoods and the sea.  This is why we can't have nice things.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

The crazy thing about helmet use on scooters is that I see people in scrubs/medical attire riding them around near Johns Hopkins Hospital with no helmet!

Of course the bikes are all over the place. When I've seen them lying across the path, I usually stop to pick them up & move them out of the way. I've learned that when you pick them up, it assumes you are trying to steal it, and it triggers a recorded message of something like "Stop! The police are being called!" The other day I saw a couple of the local tent-living guys (not technically homeless I guess, they have a tent) going after one of them with a crowbar, no idea what they were trying to do, I guess get through the lock or something. Good stuff.

Dave

LRB

So they had those in Indy! 

That was the first time I ever saw them. I thought, that would never fly in Detroit (we're the motor city). Then I went downtown about a week after returning and saw them all over the place. 

Half Crazy K 2.0

The scooters are from private companies. They don't ask permission, they just set up and see how it goes.

Baltimore's bike share program was between the city and a private company. I think the company got tired of the bikes getting thrown in the harbor.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Baltimore's bike share program was between the city and a private company. I think the company got tired of the bikes getting thrown in the harbor.

In NYC, if you take out a Citibike and it gets stolen or lost, you're charged $1,200 for the replacement.  I have seen a Citibike in the water... bad day for whomever had taken it out.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The scooters are from private companies. They don't ask permission, they just set up and see how it goes.

In here, they had to ask for permission. They did in my town and have been around since last year. Now they said they are bringing the scooters but FLL and Coral Gables have already started protesting them because they have been a disaster for pedestrians (they have to be ridden on the sidewalks here or die). We will see.

The bikes are done here. Last weekend was their last week.

Damaris

workinprogress11

I am a payroll manager for a healthcare organization (five hospitals plus lots of doctor's offices).  Currently trying to juggle payroll year end, the annual bonus cycle, production payroll, and implementing a new payroll/HR system.  My two analysts have been sick the past two weeks so I've had to fill in for them for meetings and project work.  It's been overwhelming.

Ah, we are close, but not quite the same. I am also with a largish healthcare organization but am a revenue cycle analyst as well as the administrator for the billing side of our EMR/PM software.

I know when people are missing it triples the work for me, so I feel your pain.