Beginners and Beyond


2018 Race Number 50: Winter in July 5K for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Read 5 times)

Barking Mad To Run


    I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”


    And a big thanks to for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more


    I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.


    Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     


    Link to photos only:



    My 50th race of 2018 was Winter In July 5K, an inaugural race held on July 7th in Universal City Veterans Park, located just a few miles from Randolph Air Force Base in San Antonio.  This race benefited St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, a special cause of mine.  Many many  MANY years ago, back in my young Air Force days, I was a volunteer for this hospital. I tell you what, you think you have problems… and then you interact with some of these kids – some of the most courageous people I’ve ever met – who have so much on their plate and you walk out of there thinking “I have absolutely nothing to complain about.”


    Race start time: 8 a.m.  From home to park was about a 20-minute drive for me, arriving with about an hour to go to start time.  Having already picked up my race stuff the day before  I wandered around after I arrived chatting with friends and taking some pre-start photos.



    Race shirt


     photo IMG_4089_zpsxwjfrtlo.jpg


    With friend Terry

     photo IMG_4015_zpsclan9ahi.jpg


    With friends Joe and Yet The Wonder Dog

     photo IMG_4016_zpsnyn4isxk.jpg


    With friend Karen


     photo IMG_4021_zpsp5cqfkg6.jpg


    Bouncy Castle for the kiddies there

     photo IMG_4062_zpstkbpan1r.jpg


    Athlete Guild folks - timing, results, etc.


     photo IMG_4086_zpstfwrraqb.jpg


    Various Participants, etc.




     photo IMG_4014_zpsp2dthtgw.jpg


     photo IMG_4017_zpsbljwtsyh.jpg


     photo IMG_4018_zpsaes0thj5.jpg


     photo IMG_4020_zpszz9fhk3c.jpg


     photo IMG_4023_zpsxs7cvxmi.jpg


     photo IMG_4026_zpsqc8usszg.jpg


     photo IMG_4027_zpsck2g4hmv.jpg

     photo IMG_4028_zpswofpif3i.jpg


     photo IMG_4029_zpsp0gejahw.jpg


     photo IMG_4030_zpskvho9dpv.jpg


     photo IMG_4031_zpshkjbj0ay.jpg


     photo IMG_4032_zpsqbhajweg.jpg


    With friend Don. This was his 58th race of the year.


     photo IMG_4034_zpslbedj1id.jpg



     photo IMG_4035_zpsprpqddy1.jpg




    Temp around 77 degrees, with some dark clouds threatening rain which never happened, and quite humid, but we did have a bit of a breeze blowing.   In the 24 years I have lived in San Antonio, I have never been to this park, so this was a ‘new’ course for me.  We started out on a concrete trail near the entrance of the park, which went downhill.  Since this was an out-and-back course, this meant we would do an uphill right before the finish.  The concrete soon gave way to off-road dirt-and-rock trails, with some patches of concrete at various points, but mostly dirt-and-rock, and some gravelly areas.  The course was what race directors euphemistically like to call “gently rolling.”  Well, some of it was gentle, and some parts were challenging; nothing really super steep, but some pretty darn good uphill  parts along the way; and a pretty long uphill climb – again, not real steep, but fairly long – just before we did the turn-round to go back to the finish.  The turn-round trail was the hardest for my old-man legs, what with several loose rocks, a few roots, etc, along the way up to the turn-round.  I had to slow down a bit here and I think a few others did too.  After making the turn-round I had a walk break and after that ran nonstop back to the finish. Since I train once a week on hills on paved roads, that last uphill part of the course on the concrete hill right before the finish was the easiest part of the course for me, lol.  I pushed it a little on that hill and ended up finishing in 35:36 chip time.


     photo IMG_4036_zpsojhhpxdi.jpg


     photo IMG_4037_zpsawapbvxr.jpg


     photo IMG_4038_zpstsqxmvlo.jpg


     photo IMG_4039_zpsr1xow7hi.jpg


     photo IMG_4040_zpsriglr1p7.jpg


     photo IMG_4041_zpsb0cixjtz.jpg


     photo IMG_4042_zpsr3tfrkud.jpg


     photo IMG_4043_zpsw9tl7dbl.jpg




    Here comes the 1st place guy, heading back to the finish.

     photo IMG_4044_zpsva2yuglc.jpg


     photo IMG_4045_zpse92mp79l.jpg




    Near the turn-round point.  Bernadette heading to the finish.


     photo IMG_4046_zps7kgll9zo.jpg


     photo IMG_4047_zpsuobu2qp6.jpg


     photo IMG_4048_zpsbxe2iiyz.jpg


     photo IMG_4049_zpszhgsgwit.jpg

     photo IMG_4050_zpszmxcyfih.jpg


     photo IMG_4051_zpswak9pk4x.jpg


     photo IMG_4052_zps2rvre5h2.jpg


     photo IMG_4053_zps1s4ipari.jpg




    Got some water, got one of the iced-down towels handed out at the finish line, then sat down in some shade with the iced towel on my head and sipped some water slowly and just relaxed for about 10 minutes.  Ahhh…so much better!  After that, went wandering around getting some after photos of the happy finishers, volunteers, supporters, and a few people coming into the finish line.


     photo IMG_4054_zpsayc028ra.jpg


     photo IMG_4055_zpsmqt5va4v.jpg


     photo IMG_4056_zpsja9hi3f4.jpg


     photo IMG_4057_zpsfebc4q95.jpg


    My friend, Albert, 75 and still going strong

     photo IMG_4058_zpsqzacerxu.jpg


     photo IMG_4059_zpsttmmfyxb.jpg


     photo IMG_4060_zpsj7no1sqf.jpg


     photo IMG_4072_zps1zj3yz4v.jpg


    Friend Ernie coming into the finish.  He was last one to finish...but is first in many hearts.   All around great guy.


     photo IMG_4084_zpsbspfopwr.jpg


     photo IMG_4061_zpsoy9qiucz.jpg


     photo IMG_4063_zpsatswnpvk.jpg


     photo IMG_4064_zpsjctdluwx.jpg


    This guy pushed that stroller along that off-road course

     photo IMG_4065_zpsuuywcech.jpg


    With Bernadette

     photo IMG_4068_zpsadelb67g.jpg


    My favoritist runner and longest-known running friend 

     photo IMG_4069_zpssdogbofa.jpg



     photo IMG_4070_zps0hwiyux8.jpg


    At San Antonio Rock n Roll Half last year, Stephanie was my partner in the half-marathon relay

     photo IMG_4071_zps1ekepl3f.jpg


     photo IMG_4074_zpshjkntbfp.jpg


     photo IMG_4075_zpslfog4uaf.jpg


     photo IMG_4077_zps684zsdts.jpg


     photo IMG_4079_zpswckfp1da.jpg


     photo IMG_4080_zpsd6cqwitx.jpg


     photo IMG_4083_zpsptpntbnv.jpg




     photo IMG_4081_zpsc1wyiiqy.jpg


    With friend Carolyn, who took advantage of post-race free massage

     photo IMG_4082_zpsc6usjrql.jpg


     photo IMG_4085_zps2hjisopy.jpg


    With our lovely Race Director.  Great job on this inaugural event.


     photo IMG_4087_zpstehre4xb.jpg





    For an inaugural event, this was organized very well and seemed to go off without a hitch.  A nice venue for the race, and a very nice course that is somewhat challenging - at least for me anyway, lol; the guy that came in first did it in 18 minutes and something…can’t imagine doing that on a rocky course like this. Really nice quality tech-tee race shirts and finisher medals at the end.  I think they had some last-minute race day registrations which shot the participation numbers up, so I passed on getting a medal – as many races as I do, I have plenty of medals – so someone else would be able to get one.  Post-race goodies included various fruits, water, watermelon slices, and some other stuff.   Very nicely done and an event I will certainly do again and would recommend to others.


    Mucho thanks to all who made this one happen for we participants:  Our race director, Rebecca; all the volunteers and sponsors; Athlete Guild for doing the timing, results, course setup, etc.; friend Erik for doing an excellent job with the MC duties and everything else he did out there; and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you for all you did so we participants could have this event.

    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt