Beginners and Beyond

How many miles per week do you really need for marathon training (Read 105 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Half Crazy- I guess I technically already run for the time when I run mornings during the week. I don't have any flexibility with the time I get into work, so I have from the time I can get myself off the door to run until 7:00am, 7:10 absolute max, then I need to be home. Because of that I often get some non round numbers. Marathon training will be interesting because I have 4 weeks off during it and several short work weeks so I may end up taking advantage of those with higher miles.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

Kristin - I did the HH Intermediate 2 program for my marathon.  I liked it, but I was already doing 40 mile weeks when I started the plan. My average during training stayed at the same level I was already doing thanks to the recovery weeks.   I cut back a bit for the first few weeks because I was travelling, so I ended up doing about the same mileage as the plan called for, just not on the same schedule. I really didn't want a major cut in mileage, which is why I chose the plan I did.  What I liked about the HH plan, as someone who is also prone to injury, was the lack of speedwork, since I tend to get hurt doing speedwork. (I have had a chronic hamstring problem since October thanks to a speed session gone wrong followed by a 5k that made things worse.)   I also liked the fact that when the mileage built up to 50 mile weeks the following week was a cut back week.  For a serious runner, it isn't ideal, but for my first, it helped.  I got seriously intimidated by the 5 - 10 - 5- 10MP- 20 weeks, but knowing that the following week was going to allow for recovery helped. Doing the runs with MP the day before the long run also helped psychologically because even though I hadn't done race distance in training, I knew what it was like doing a very long run on tired legs.  I still wore out during my marathon, but that was largely because I ran too fast in my early miles and paid the price at the end. I expected that.  I didn't have a death march, but miles 21-25 were painful.  OTOH, I finished right where I expected to finish.  I expected somewhere between 4:20 and 4:30 and finished in 4:21.  That is slower than my McMillan time (4:13), but I expected that since I averaged 40 mpw for the whole of my training, not 70.

Will I do the same plan next time?  I don't know.  I'd rather do more overall miles, if I can.  I'd like to do some LT runs, at least in the early weeks if I ever get my hamstrings healed.  OTOH, the HH plan worked and I felt prepared for the race.  I don't think that would have been the case with a lower mileage plan.

No more marathons

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!