Beginners and Beyond

I hopped on the pull-up bar for the first time in over a year today..... (Read 74 times)

LRB

happylily

Are you ok? Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

I take it didn't go well?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I was just messing around at work, I did 2 then 4, but they were ugly as hell!

Before I started training for my first marathon, I did sets of 15 like it was nothing, and sometimes as high as 25 and I was 20 lbs heavier.

I'm gonna get back into those, I couldn't even tell you why I stopped.  It really is a great exercise.

Will run for scenery.

Uh, Ric, you do know you're not supposed to hop on it.  Don't you ?

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

LRB

Uh, Ric, you do know you're not supposed to hop on it.  Don't you ?

Is that where I went wrong?  Dang, I knew something wasn't right!

happylily

Our of curiosity, LRB, how many consecutive pushups can you do at the moment?

LRB

Our of curiosity, LRB, how many consecutive pushups can you do at the moment?

I have no idea, I haven't done any strength training in ages.  Hmm, let's try it...

happylily

Get back to me with the result, please.

LRB

32 right off the couch, controlled and fluid.  Not sure what it was at my peak because I was bench press guy.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

He's still working on it.......

happylily

He's still working on it.......

Big grin

Rick, I'll try the pull-up bar tomorrow at the gym. I've never done it, so I probably can't even do one. But I've been working on my pushups, so I'm curious to see how that translates on the pull-up bar.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

LOL!  I tried pullups today too and also failed abysmally.  (I did 3 x 3 chinups, but wide-grip pullups are SO FREAKING HARD).  It's amazing how specific the movement is.

But being lighter will help once you get used to it again!

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

LRB

LOL!  I tried pullups today too and also failed abysmally.  (I did 3 x 3 chinups, but wide-grip pullups are SO FREAKING HARD).  It's amazing how specific the movement is.

I cannot do wide grip pull ups at all, only shoulder width.  I am also stronger doing chin-ups (palms facing inward) than with pull-ups (palms facing away).

Love the Half

Let's be clear about "pull-ups."  I'll bet there aren't 10 people on the planet who can do more than 20 true pull-ups.  A "true" pull-up means legs straight, body straight, and pull straight up with the arms.  You can put boards three inches to the front and back of the person and no part of the body should touch.  Ain't no cross fit kip ups which primarily exercise the momentum muscle.  Good luck finding that one in an anatomy book.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).