Beginners and Beyond

Friyayyyyyy (Read 43 times)

delicate flower

Baboon, I'm interested to find out if the swim is a typo or your coach has something against you. 

I would assume it's a 1000 swim or FTS.

It's definitely 10,000 because he's got the workout details listed, which is basically 10 assorted sets of 1000 yards.

Aaaanyway, I got my 4 mile run done.  My legs felt unexpectedly good after trashing them the past three days.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

8 kinda sluggish miles. As an evening runner, I like the time change for running. I hate it in the morning.

Bluerun, nice race! Great placement.

Scottydawg, sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Docket_Rocket

Yesterday, here in San Antonio we lost a great guy in our running commmunity. He was struck from behind while riding his motorcycle and did not make it. So sad.  He went way too soon, he was only in his 30s.  He was not like a best friend of mine, but he was a friend/acquaintance from our local running scene and a fellow veteran;  he and I did a lot of the same races over the last few years and we knew each other well enough to chat at the events, get some race photos together, and so forth.  He was very well known and really good friends with several of our running community members.  We are all pretty much in shock.  He leaves behind his twin brother, his wife, and child.   He was a regular on our local racing circuit, will be so weird and sad not to see him out there any more.  One minute there, the next minute...gone.  Don't take anything for granted.  Hug your loved ones and let them know every day how you feel.  You just never know.

Did get in 3.3 miles yesterday morning at Fort Sam Houston.   Followed by an opthomalogy (sp?) appointment to check for any eye issues I may have had from a floater I had in my right eye.  Everything was okay, eyes in good health - besides the floater - no cornea tear, cataracts, etc.   Altho after the doc dilated my eyes, I did feel like I was living in a "TV dream sequence" for a while, everything was a bit fuzzy.....and for a minute there I thought I saw Mr. Roper from "Three's Company", lol.  My generation people here will get that reference.

Sorry for your loss.

Ugh, so many distracted drivers.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Sorry for your loss.

Ugh, so many distracted drivers.

+1.  

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Oh yeah, this one?  It is the Western Wall.  I feel like I take a picture like that every year and the only thing that changes is my hair color. 

Awesome pic.

Congrats on on the race & placing.

Dave

The only walls I know are the one in Seattle where the used to be chewing gum on, and the one Pink Floyd talks about. But geography and history are not my forte.

For your own benefit, please look up the Western Wall on Wikipedia.

Dave

Cyberic

For your own benefit, please look up the Western Wall on Wikipedia.

Done. I had heard of it by it's other name.

Coastal

Scotty:  Sorry to hear aboiut your friend.

Blue:  Congrats on the placement.  That wind sounds brutal.  I'd love to some day visit those places.

I kind of like DST, but then I run after work, not before.  It would really suck running before.

Ordered some Hoka Cliftons.  The box arrived came.  Opened it up to find one shoe.  Yes, just one.  14EE.  At least they got the size right.

8.2 out on the road.  Couldn't face the TM or the indoor track after two really crappy run days.  Not sure if I posted but yesterday I did three miles on the track and bailed.  Today the weather turned around from stormy rain and was partly sunny so opted for the road.  Took a while but I finally started to get back into a rhythm.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The only walls I know are the one in Seattle where the used to be chewing gum on, and the one Pink Floyd talks about. But geography and history are not my forte.

I also think there's one in China that's supposes to be great.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I also think there's one in China that's supposes to be great.

Not as great as the Big Beautiful one soon to be built on our southern border, that Mexico is going to pay for.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Not as great as the Big Beautiful one soon to be built on our southern border, that Mexico is going to pay for...allegedly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYZKrn7Bbl8

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

There was also a well known wall in Gerrmany until the late 80s.....

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

And Hadrian built one also.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bluerun

Super B****

Thanks, guys ... my knee is really not happy (understatement of the century) but this is totally my favorite race ever so I don't regret it one bit.

Blue, great job on your race!  That is excellent result, especially when factoring in the wind and the knee.  Top 1% female.  That is awesome.

It's easier here -- not many women seem to run in Israel.  Most of my photos from races here are just me in a sea of men.  But don't look a gift horse in the mouth, and all that.  I'll take it!

It's not a wall, it's The Wall.

Well, yeah.  It's not supposed to be "artistic."

Hell yes!  I share your pain.

A few years ago, I ran a 10-miler in California.  Winner got a sweeeeeet 1st prize - big soft cooler, filled with goodies.

And he also took the AGW - an insulated coffee mug.  It dropped me to 2nd - I got a small rubber duck.

To this day, my cold coffee tastes like bitter disappointment.

I'm sorry, but I genuinely giggled at this.  Actually, the same shit happened to me last year -- I only ran the 5K, but I DEFINITELY won an award, an OA award, except that someone walked off with it, and they were supposedly going to mail me one, but I'm sure you can guess that never happened.  Apparently the AG awards are distributed on the 22nd.  I don't live here.  I've appointed someone to be my deputy.  But we shall see.

I just nearly sh*t myself.  I got my training plan for next week and there is a 10,000 yard swim listed for Friday.      I just e-mailed Coach with a "Ummm....what?"  That will take me four hours.  That is a 5.7 mile swim.

...why?  What purpose would that even serve?!

Blue, nice race and nice pic at the Kotel.  When is the diving?  I remember you said you packed all the things.  I did all my open water tests in the Puget Sound, which was a balmy 43 that weekend.  I own a 14mm suit, and it's not enough.  I remember actually trying to use air as fast as I could so I could get out of that damn water.  What temps are you looking at?

IT ISN'T!!  This is the second year in a row that I lugged along my wetsuit (and we're talking my cellular 7mm, which weighs like eight pounds), and since this time I called right before I left to find out if I'd be able to dive and they said I would, I took along a vest, hood, and gloves too.  I could have gone on Wednesday or Thursday, but apparently Mother Nature really hates me.  So now I am never taking my wetsuit again and will have to rent two if I ever do get to dive, because a 5mm in 18 degrees (celsius, obviously) is a big fat joke: I don't even own anything less than 5mm.  I wear that in the Caribbean.  In August.  It's on my to-do list for this summer to finally get dry suit certified.

Yesterday, here in San Antonio we lost a great guy in our running commmunity. He was struck from behind while riding his motorcycle and did not make it. So sad.  He went way too soon, he was only in his 30s.  He was not like a best friend of mine, but he was a friend/acquaintance from our local running scene and a fellow veteran;  he and I did a lot of the same races over the last few years and we knew each other well enough to chat at the events, get some race photos together, and so forth.  He was very well known and really good friends with several of our running community members.  We are all pretty much in shock.  He leaves behind his twin brother, his wife, and child.   He was a regular on our local racing circuit, will be so weird and sad not to see him out there any more.  One minute there, the next minute...gone.  Don't take anything for granted.  Hug your loved ones and let them know every day how you feel.  You just never know.

That's awful.  I'm so sorry. 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog