Beginners and Beyond

Lovely Morning ThursDailies (Read 22 times)

GinnyinPA

I ran 9.3 with 4 at HMP, since today seems to be the day for that.

Onemile - good luck with the job interviews.

We don't have a fence either, so we always took the dog out on his long (25') leash or on walks through the neighborhood. Since we are looking for a new house and intend to get a dog once we're settled again, I'm hoping for a fenced yard. I never minded the walks twice a day, but since my husband has slowed down so much due to Parkinson's, I can't see trying to do long walks with a young dog at our current pace.

onemile

1st interview went great!  The second one, not as great.  The one guy was grilling me with a bunch of technical questions and 2-3 of them I did not have answer for.  Apparently they are interviewing a couple others and will let me know in 2-3 weeks 

sdWhiskers

About an hour ago, we got an email to all US sites saying masks no longer needed for vaxxed people! Everyone around me immediately took it off, lol

Then 30 min later...Oh wait, just kidding. CA is more restrictive so mask still required here. A big sigh as everyone put them back on.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

No run for me as I decided to rest the pain in the butt another day but did some rowing and had PT. Amazing how sitting on a sort of hard chair too long on Saturday can f up a week.

I read this as each of you taking care of their SHITS.

^ too funny but so true...

OneMile - you never know what they really expected for answers and maybe what you did answer was what really mattered. Hope it works out!

Michigan removing all mask requirements starting tomorrow, I think, a little earlier than the prior Jul 1 target. Mask wearing has been steadily fading in recent weeks based on my unscientific sample.

Cyberic

1st interview went great!  The second one, not as great.  The one guy was grilling me with a bunch of technical questions and 2-3 of them I did not have answer for.  Apparently they are interviewing a couple others and will let me know in 2-3 weeks 

I hate that process. Just something you have to go through, I guess. Fingers crossed.

Cyberic

About an hour ago, we got an email to all US sites saying masks no longer needed for vaxxed people! Everyone around me immediately took it off, lol

Then 30 min later...Oh wait, just kidding. CA is more restrictive so mask still required here. A big sigh as everyone put them back on.

Hahaha! I can picture it!

Well, you never know, that might not mean anything. And of course 2-3 weeks is nothing on the hiring time scale, although will feel like an eternity to you.   

Dave

sdWhiskers

This could mean anything so it's probably best not to torture yourself mentally and put the whole thing out of mind for a few weeks (easier said than done!).

I ask multiple technical questions in interviews but missing some isn't necessarily bad. I'd rather hear how you'd figure it out or if it's not something you have experience with instead of making crap up on the spot. Unless it's really something you should know. But you also have no idea how important that is to the role, or if everyone gets it wrong or if you answered everything else AWESOME. And hiring decisions always take longer than expected. We never give a quick date to hear from us unless you have another offer already on the table.

onemile

This could mean anything so it's probably best not to torture yourself mentally and put the whole thing out of mind for a few weeks (easier said than done!).

I ask multiple technical questions in interviews but missing some isn't necessarily bad. I'd rather hear how you'd figure it out or if it's not something you have experience with instead of making crap up on the spot. Unless it's really something you should know. But you also have no idea how important that is to the role, or if everyone gets it wrong or if you answered everything else AWESOME. And hiring decisions always take longer than expected. We never give a quick date to hear from us unless you have another offer already on the table.

We'll see. He did say it was okay he was just trying to find out how much I knew.  And the truth is I am underqualified in terms of experience in this area and the software involved.  BUT I think I am qualified enough overall and can learn the rest.  I suppose it depends on who else applies and if they have actual experience in this role (which I don't)

We'll see. He did say it was okay he was just trying to find out how much I knew.  And the truth is I am underqualified in terms of experience in this area and the software involved.  BUT I think I am qualified enough overall and can learn the rest.  I suppose it depends on who else applies and if they have actual experience in this role (which I don't)

Just like a race—you can only compete against who shows up! Companies can be pretty closed-minded and usually want to hire someone who’s already doing the exact same job. So it may be tough for you if they find that, but if not, it’s anybody’s ballgame.

Dave

Cyberic

HHiring/Interviews  .  The couple of times I was asked to participate in the process, and even when I'm not in the process but my bosses are going to hire someone to work with me I tell them to please consider that computer skills can be learned, but people skills are not so easy to change. I'd much rather have an under qualified coworker with a good attitude, who wants to learn, who wants to do his/her part in a team than someone who is technically qualified but has a shitty personality.

onemile

Just like a race—you can only compete against who shows up! Companies can be pretty closed-minded and usually want to hire someone who’s already doing the exact same job. So it may be tough for you if they find that, but if not, it’s anybody’s ballgame.

well they knew all of this when they scheduled the interview and I didn't even customize my resume to gear it toward this area, which I probably should have.  I have worked on projects relating to this area but not as a 100% focus  so they definitely knew from the beginning that I am *not* already doing this exact same job.  And they did say that this was not really a technical, hands on role but more of a relationship building / working with people thing and having a basic understand of technology is important but you aren't actually doing the technical work.  I probably do more technical stuff in my current role, it's a slightly different area that has a lot of jargon that I am not familiar with ( I did study up to prep for the interview which helped a lot with many of the questions)

Half Crazy K 2.0

This depends. When I've had to hire, there are some programs we use that the likelihood of someone knowing them is pretty slim. I look for someone not freaked out about having to learn something new on the computer. The positions I've hired for aren;t high level, but I do look for some level of problem solving, which can be really lacking these days.

onemile

This depends. When I've had to hire, there are some programs we use that the likelihood of someone knowing them is pretty slim. I look for someone not freaked out about having to learn something new on the computer. The positions I've hired for aren;t high level, but I do look for some level of problem solving, which can be really lacking these days.

I think that most companies probably don't have this exact same role - it is something that in a smaller or even medium sized company, there is probably not one person dedicated to, much less a whole department) but there are definitely jobs that more similarly align than mine on the technical side. I think in terms of the non-technical side my job aligns pretty well in terms of job function.