Beginners and Beyond

Polar Vortex Weekend Penguins (Read 16 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

Cold as it is, next week is supposed to get even colder.  Currently 31 feels like 23, but it's sunny so walking Ben shouldn't be too bad.  Today is supposed to be a rest day since I didn't take one yesterday so I'm not sure what I'll do. It's the last day of hunting season (rifle), so we can't go for a hike, unfortunately. I'll probably spend the day decorating the tree we got two days ago.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  I have 8 miles on the TM later.  It's raining so maybe the dust outside will settle and I can run outside.

We are opting out of Fall and Winter.  Summer here all year long.  Stay warm.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Ginny, that sounds super miserable.  I hope the cold spell snaps for you soon!

D- Hope the rain does the trick.

I just ran 4 with the dogs, which I'm glad to be able to do.  They hadn't been out with the weather, my marathon, and DH has had a bad knee, so it was time.  It was lovely and 45 when I went out.  We got in just before the rain.

GinnyinPA

I woke to a dusting of snow on the ground, but it was mostly gone by the time we walked Ben. Still gray and cold (31 feels like 28) but with only a very light wind, it was a good afternoon to run. I overdressed, since I wasn't used to the cold and I was able to run with the wind at my back for most of it, but I was able to tie my jacket around my waist so everything but my frozen face was comfortable. I ended up running 15.4 miles.  The hot chocolate afterwards was very welcome.

From the Internet.

I ran 11.1 too fast with my club yesterday (8:11 average and a few miles low-8's, a couple sub-8), went out for what I thought would be an achy sluggish recovery jog today and ended up instead running 10 and feeling phenomenal (nice easy effort, 9:14 pace, last couple dipped below 9). Building a base and then not getting injured in some stupid way is paying off finally! Big grin I believe these were my first back-to-back double-digit runs ever and I can't stop smiling about it.