Beginners and Beyond

Creative Gym Reimbursement anyone? (Read 117 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I recently found out that my healthcare coverage offers a gym reimbursement of $300 every 6 months.  Of course, my immediate thought was how can I get one over on "The Man" and parlay this money into funding my running.  Has anyone used this kind of benefit not in a traditional sense (like actually joining a legitimate gym)?  I'm looking for more of a scheme than a scam...why should I miss out just because I don't go to a gym...I spend money on exercise too.

**Ask me about streaking**

My company's health plan does something very similar. They didn't go for the home workout routine angle because there was no 'proof'. I said, well my BP is down, weight is waaay down, and cholesterol is down, but because some fancy pants gym didn't monitor my coming or going, I don't get a credit. Since there was nothing to actually reimburse, I was out of luck.

Now, what you could do is look for a cheap gym with a good spa/whirlpool/pool and go use that a few times a week. The gym can check off that you were there and you can stick it to the Man by taking a nice soak.  Cool

I recently found out that my healthcare coverage offers a gym reimbursement of $300 every 6 months.  Of course, my immediate thought was how can I get one over on "The Man" and parlay this money into funding my running.  Has anyone used this kind of benefit not in a traditional sense (like actually joining a legitimate gym)?  I'm looking for more of a scheme than a scam...why should I miss out just because I don't go to a gym...I spend money on exercise too.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

RSX

Some plans will reimburse you for equipment and race fees as mine does within limits

thekl0wn

Pigtail Connoisseur

I tried getting the company to pay me for the races I work.  They didn't bite.  Such a shame...  Would've been a nice little sweetener to work the race, get paid by the race, and then the company pay a little extra on top.

Something witty

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

stick it to the Man by taking a nice soak.  Cool

I like it.

Resident Historian

Would they accept:

1. Training program fees for races (at your LRS, for example) - which might include some "equipment" and race entry fee?

2. Similar at a gym? Or a gym membership including "equipment" (which might have procured the equipment from said LRS)?

3. Participation in a running camp?

4. Anything else to do with running that could be billed through a gym?

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I think I need to start a "gym" that comps shoes and race entries

catwhoorg

Labrat

My company reimburses I think its $50/quarter for gym memberships (doesn't fully cover but substantially reduces the cost).

I keep trying to get them to cover the same for a max of one race per quarter, to no avail.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

BenTN

I once worked for a company that paid per mile. It was on the honor system and not a lot of money. The CEO and CFO were runners so...

Resident Historian

I think I need to start a "gym" that comps shoes and race entries

^

This, exactly!  With fees of , say, $50 /month!Big grin

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

According to the handout if my "gym" offered-

group exercise

walking/running group

(+ a big list of things that aren't going to happen)

-then it would be considered eligible (and also not fraud!).

Looks like I need to find some like minded people in my area with gym reimbursements going to waste.  Worth it for $600 a year?  probably not.

BenTN

For $300 per year you can join my on-line gym.

happylily

For $300 per year you can join my on-line gym.

LOL... Ben... Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

cmb4314

Now, what you could do is look for a cheap gym with a good spa/whirlpool/pool and go use that a few times a week. The gym can check off that you were there and you can stick it to the Man by taking a nice soak.  Cool

This is me.  I need 12 visits/month to get my reimbursement of $20/month, and with wanting to run outside, I don't always need 12 gym workouts a month, so I get creative.  I'd have a gym membership regardless of the reimbursement though, since there is nowhere in my house to put a treadmill, and sometimes ice on the roads dictates that I need a treadmill.  I do like having access to the free weights/machines as well.

I often go to the gym, check in, and go for a run outside near the gym.  Or I'll go out and run somewhere away from home, stop at the gym and shower, and then go run errands before I go back home, since that's actually faster than going all the way home.  I've also sat in the hot tub a few times.  And the steam room when I was really congested.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

My company will pay me $25/month if I go to the gym 8 times a month or $50/month if I go 16 times a month.  Family membership at the YMCA is $75/month or so.  All I have to do is provide an attendance log to them.  Right now I am enjoying the indoor track and spring I will hit the weights and run outside to cover my visits.