Beginners and Beyond

Shoes Question (Read 103 times)

I'm about due for a new pair of shoes.  I've been wearing Asics 2150 for most of the duration of my running lifetime.  I think they are great.  I have tried a few others and always had pain.  I have very weird feet.  My feet are flat and overpronate and have so many old injuries from when I was young that I have almost constant foot pain.  My ankles pop with each step.  So I can't get the 2150s locally anymore.  Are there another shoe that you would recommend that is similar?

Also, I know I've read it somewhere but when should you buy new shoes?  Is it 1000 miles?  It seems like I'm having to replace mine a bit more than that.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Definitely sooner than 1,000 miles.  I think the magic mileage # is 400 though I usually go 500 or 600 on mine.

I'm not an overpronator so I can't speak to those shoe types but I would go to a good local running store and find someone you feel comfortable with.  Let them talk with you and do a gate analysis as well as just getting a feel for what you like and how your foot shape might be better suited by a different brand/model of shoe.

I'm sure other will chime in about 2150 equivalents.

Randy

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I am a new runner and no expert, but I am a flatfooted overpronator, and after analysis at the LRS I ended up with Mizuno Wave Inspire 9s. I love them!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I replace my shoes when they start to feel flat and unsupportive. I'm a big fan of the Asics Kayano series myself. A lot of people weren't thrilled with the changes made between the 17 and 18 model, but I actually like it...much less bulky and clunky, but it still gets the job done.
          Buelligan

Since you know what shoe works for you and what size you need, I'd just order them online somewhere.  A quick google search shows ASICS 2150s readily available and at significant discounts at a number of online retail outlets.

nolamama

CQTM

Since you know what shoe works for you and what size you need, I'd just order them online somewhere.  A quick google search shows ASICS 2150s readily available and at significant discounts at a number of online retail outlets.

+1 If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Gray Runner

Running Bear

Man, if you can't get more than 1000 miles on your shoes you are really doing it wrong.  You must be one hell of a heel striker or something.  You should really practice running on only the front part of your feet, like you are on your tip-toes.  That way the shoes won't wear out so fast.

Upcoming races:  
                Mt. Cheaha 50K 2/22
                Georgia Death race 100K 3/15-16
                Sweetwater 50K 4/12
                Cruel Jewel 100 5/16-17
                Make It By Midnight FM 7/XX
                H9 50 mile 8/9
                Georgia Jewel 100 9/27
                Pacing at Pinhoti 100 11/XX
                Dunkin Ridge Trail 50K 11/XX
                Lookout Mtn 50 mile 12/20

GinnyinPA

If you can find the 2150 online, go for it.  I was wearing the 2170, which was discontinued, though the regular sizes can still be found online occasionally, just not in my size.  The 2000's didn't fit the same, of course.  I am now wearing Brooks Adrenaline, which I don't like as well, but they fit my wide feet.

Buelligan

Man, if you can't get more than 1000 miles on your shoes you are really doing it wrong.  You must be one hell of a heel striker or something.  You should really practice running on only the front part of your feet, like you are on your tip-toes.  That way the shoes won't wear out so fast.

Heel strikers need cushioning and foam rubber in shoes will break down and lose its damping qualities eventually.

As to whether heel striking is wrong... that's quite a can of worms.  I do believe humans weren't meant to be heel strikers, but if they can safely do it with modern technology, then so be it.  It's not really a concern of mine, thankfully.  I am a forefoot striker and my shoes are good for well over a 1,000 miles... pretty much until a hole starts forming in the sole.