Beginners and Beyond

I Got Scorched By A Pudgy Guy Yesterday (Read 178 times)

Mmmmm...beer

If I have learned anything in my short time as a runner, it's not to judge anyone's ability by their appearance or age! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

don't be so humble,  you're not that great.

Namtor, you're a rude man.

I like the word schmou. Never heard it before. It's cute. Yes, we're all schmous, here. But Buelligan more than the rest of us, because he was passed by a pudgy guy yesterday. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

MrNamtor

Namtor, you're a rude man.

You're right. I thought that was rundog, the guy from L & O who comes on here just to call us attention hoors.

My apologies RONdog.

MrNamtor

I think the point is that whether you are behind Buel and are catching up to him, or ahead of Buel and he's catching up to you, the wisest course of action is to just veer off the path and go in a different direction.

By chance did the pudgy dude remark, "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today".

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Rondog65

Namtor – Apology accepted, but wasn’t needed.

Lily – I do like the reference of everyone is a Schmou to keep everything in perspective, no better no worse than the other Schmous, just getting by one mile at a time (some are quicker than others).

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've heard of shmoos, created by Al Capp in his L'il Abner comic strip, but what's a schmou?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

I've heard of schmoos, created by Al Capp in his L'il Abner comic strip, but what's a schmou?

A nice schmuck?

MrNamtor

Lily – I do like the reference of everyone is a Schmou to keep everything in perspective, no better no worse than the other Schmous, just getting by one mile at a time (some are quicker than others).

I like it. As I heard David Brooks recently say "No better than anyone else, no one better than me".

Or as the Irish say "As bad as I am, and as good as you are, I'm as good as you are."

happylily

+100!

Are schmous gazelles or do they glide?

MrNamtor

Are schmous gazelles or do they glide?

Often they just face-plant

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

ROTFLMAO!!!  Go Julie!  Great line!

A nice schmuck?

alas for the humility factor, I felt that way recently watching a basketball game just before mine Saturday night.  There's a guy who reminds me of this guy........(Anthony Anderson).....

....and who is even heavier than Anthony Anderson in this pic who plays for a team in my same league.  What's crazy is the guy can run forever on the court.  I am amazed at how fast he is and how much endurance he has.  It reminds me of how much genetics have to do with all of this.

The same reason Meb or Hall or Rupp could probably take a year off of running and still kick anyone's ass on this forum while reading a novel and knitting a sweater.

Randy

GC100k

Fat guys can be fast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AVKDvMB79vA#t=11s

(why can't I post a link?)

Approaching the turnaround in my marathon, right after the 3:45 pacer I see a guy coming the other way who has a big beer belly.  Not that big overall, but a genuine big belly sticking way out over his shorts.  

I've done races with weight categories, and there are guys who weigh over 230 lbs (not necessarily fat) and run sub 20 minute 5k and sub 3:30 marathons.

I'm fat and slow, but I aspire to be less fat and less slow.

GC100k

A nice schmuck?

That's what she said.

("schmuck" is a yiddish term for a certain body part).