Beginners and Beyond

Unlimited BEER thread. Who's game? (Read 199 times)

Ken WD

I haven't posted in a while in the thread, but may as well post a bragging picture:

Love the Half

Damn.  I have yet to get my hands on a Utopias but I'd love to if I ever get the chance.  Unfortunately, it's not available in West Virginia as beer alcohol is limited to 12% here.  Hell, that's an improvement from the 6% it was a couple of years ago.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Monday night's Kwak (my cousin was visiting so we had to go out).

The binder is the beer listBig grin.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Ken WD

Damn.  I have yet to get my hands on a Utopias but I'd love to if I ever get the chance.  Unfortunately, it's not available in West Virginia as beer alcohol is limited to 12% here.  Hell, that's an improvement from the 6% it was a couple of years ago.

One of the only things I'm lucky to be in Ontario for is the Utopias. They sold it at way below market price because of our liquor control board's weird mark-up formula. I had to spend a morning repeatedly calling and waiting on hold to reserve a bottle though. I have seen it on shelves in Buffalo, NY for well over $200 and I paid $125 I think.

LRS

Chasing Muses

Having an Espresso Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing. Wow! Smooth.Just a hint of Esresso flavor, but more cocoa. The 97 from BA is well deserved. If you like Imperial or Chocolate Stouts, keep an eye out for this one.

ETA: Going to have to get a few more of these to save for next Winter. I guess it's the 11% ABV, but there is definitely a warming effect similar to bourbon.

I have seen it on shelves in Buffalo, NY for well over $200 and I paid $125 I think.

Yeah, I think it was $270 most recently.  A few years ago, roughly a dozen guys from work did a group buy and shared one just to be able to try it.  It was worth the experience, but not a nectar of the gods that I'd want a whole bottle of.

Love the Half

Having an Espresso Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing. Wow! Smooth.Just a hint of Esresso flavor, but more cocoa. The 97 from BA is well deserved. If you like Imperial or Chocolate Stouts, keep an eye out for this one.

ETA: Going to have to get a few more of these to save for next Winter. I guess it's the 11% ABV, but there is definitely a warming effect similar to bourbon.

Stone has some outstanding brews.  Their regular RIS is terrific and I'm wanting to pick up one or two bottles of their Barleywine to age.

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

Yeah, I think it was $270 most recently.  A few years ago, roughly a dozen guys from work did a group buy and shared one just to be able to try it.  It was worth the experience, but not a nectar of the gods that I'd want a whole bottle of.

OK.  Not worth $270.  I might pay half that but that's just plain silly when I can easily pick up things like St. Bernardus abt 12 or Lost Abbey Deliverance Ale for 10 or 12 bucks.  And Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA and Worldwide Stout are nearly to the alcohol level of Utopias but they're $10-12 a bottle as well.  I have a 2004 Worldwide Stout in my wine cellar that I plan to open next year.

LRS

Chasing Muses

Enjoying a Flying Dog Double Dog Double IPA now. Raging Bitch is a staple for me, and this is like Raging Bitch x10. Chewier on the hops. Tasty, but a bit overwhelming on the malt. If I could only have one beer on a given day, this would be a good choice, it really covers the bases.  But given a choice, I stil like my Raging Bitch.

Coastal

I just go to this place and they have something I like.  Usually a LOT of somethings I like.  If you're ever in Eugene, check it out.

Dang.  I was in Eugene several times this year and only ended up at the Steelhead.

This is def. on the list for next time.

Love the Half

Trying an Alpha Dog DIPA for the first time tonight.  I'm not normally a fan of IPA's because too many are nothing but hop bombs.  However a well crafted IPA is indeed a wonderful thing.

After pouring, the nose on this beer is not what you are normally expecting.  It smells like a sweet flower.  Honest to goodness but that is the primary smell.  On the first sip, you get the hops but it's far from overly bitter.  Unlike a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA where the malt is well forward, I get little malt in this beer yet it isn't overly bitter.  There is a peppery and mint note in the background that is really off-putting at first but then kind of grows on you.  It is not at all what you expect from a DIPA.  I had a beer the other night called "Sweet Baby Jesus" that was a chocolate and peanut butter infused porter.  Think of adding Nutella to a porter.  Anywho, my comment about that brew was that I wouldn't want a six pack of it but it was certainly worth picking up a single.  I wouldn't want a 6 pack or 4 pack of this brew but I'm glad I got a 22 ounce bomber.  Really interesting beer.

One Half So Far

Steelhead's not bad, although they've been making the same old things for a long time now.

Dang.  I was in Eugene several times this year and only ended up at the Steelhead.

This is def. on the list for next time.

PR: 5K 26:34 (Would have been faster if I hadn't had to tie my shoe), 5M: 43:10, 10K: 54:51. First HM 4/14/13 2:03:23

6/1: Moonlight 5M, Springfield 43:10

7/4 Butte to Butte 10K, Eugene

7/21 Run in the Country HM, Coburg

Another HM sometime in October or November.  Several to choose from.

Chasing the bus

Picked out an Alaskan Brewing Co. Tropplebock tonight. Lighter than my usual choices, but the oak aging wins my heart as usual. It's sweet, but has some acidity, and enough alcohol to cut through it. I recommend it whole heartedly.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                            Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Love the Half

Wow.  Just wow.  Unreal complexity going on in this beer.  Sweet, spicy, malty, Belgian goodness.  I let it warm to 53 degrees before I poured and it is so worth the wait.  The 10.5% a.b.v. is barely detectable.  This is one beautiful beer.

Will run for scenery.

Sweet, spicy, malty, Belgian goodness.

Why does anyone else bother ?  For all the hoopla about this beer or that beer, I've never had anything close to the dark Trappist-style Belgian ales.

I spent some time in grad school working in France but right on the Belgian border.  One day a shipment came in and we (pencil-necked geeks) had to unload a shipping container filled w/ 55 gallon drums.  By hand.  We finished up in time for lunch and headed into town.  One of the French dudes ordered a beer that caused everyone's eyebrows to go up 2.54 cm or so.  I ordered the same.  It was a St. Bernardus Sixtus 12.  That was twenty years ago, and I still remember that first sip gulp.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!