Beginners and Beyond

To all you runners in the darkness (Read 154 times)

At risk of hijacking my own thread...most dog walkers are pretty courteous, although there's always a few. I remember a woman standing on one side of the path, talking to another woman standing on the other side, with the (rather large) dog sitting right in between. As I approached, I said "excuse me", and they just looked at me. I ran around on the grass.

Also tough when you are coming up behind them. I once approached a woman who was walking on one side of the path, with the dog walking on the other side, leash spanning the path like a trip wire. Which was effective - I tried to avoid it but she tried to get out of the way at the same time, my feet got tangled in the leash, and I came very close to a total face plant. I wanted to say "I've been hit!"

Dave

sheepla

I run at 5 am and don't use any lights. I try to remember to wear light colored clothing but sometimes forget. I'm lucky to run in a neighborhood where there are a LOT of morning runners so the few cars out at that time tend to be careful.

Mmmmm...beer

I wore a Xinglet over the winter, worked great, my neighbors commented on how bright it was when they saw me in their headlights.  But now that I'm running shirtless in this rainforest-like humidity, I haven't been wearing it.  I should probably at least pick up a reflective belt to wear.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LRB

I once kicked a dog by accident.  I was running through one street inside my complex when I heard this tiny dog's bark.  Next thing I knew, I accidentally kicked him.  He left me alone after that but stayed barking from afar.  Of course, the owner had let him out without a leash and was nowhere to be found.

I don't know what is funnier; that you kicked a dog while running or that he kept barking!

I wish I could kick this one little shit on one of my routes.  He waits right until I think he is not outside that morning then races up behind me and lets loose like a flippin' machine gun!

I would boot his ass to the moon if I could!

#artbydmcbride

I bought a headlamp from Home Depot. It is the brightest one in my running group so I see really well, but it has a weird strap that goes on top of my head. Fortunately no one sees that I look like a nerd in the dark.

No, we see you....you have a spotlight on your head!!    Big grin

Runners run

Trail Monster

I use a Black Diamond Spot headlamp to see. I usually don't want to be seen so I don't purposely wear reflective clothes or extra lights.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop