Beginners and Beyond

A progress report of your year thus far: How is it shaping up? (Read 84 times)

Antipodean

This year has been a fail, or possibly a C- if feeling generous. I haven't really run since April due to an overuse issue related to weak glutes and a painful hamstring. I am now supposed to be restarting the slow, safe way with walk/run, but it still HURTS. No fair. I have been getting PT every week since the end of April and have my fourth visit to a sports doc scheduled for next week.

Sorry for spilling my misery guts, but the year wasn't exactly great leading up to the pain finally forcing me not to run. Running through the pain in races certainly didn't get me any PRs. The only consolation is that I now have superbly toned glutes  due to an exercise that I love! My husband HAS noticed, but there is NO way there will be any pics, sorry. 

Then there are the races I have DNS'ed and the big one (my second half) I have planned for the start of November that I am hoping I will not lose too.

And, not that anyone asked, last year was an A, making this year particularly hard to swallow. It's my first year doing the 2014 in 2014 and I feel I've let my team down bad. 

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Overall I have to admit the first half of the year has gone moderately well for a B minus. I've been pretty consistent in averaging slightly over 40 mpw and have even managed a couple 20 mile runs other than in races. My first two races, the Clearwater HM in January and the Jackpot 12-Hour in February went well. The next two were disappointments though I managed to have fun despite the DNF at the Ice Age 50K and retiring early after only 15 and a half hours at the Dawn to Dusk to Dawn 24-Hour Run. At D2D2D I developed some small aches and pains. Those particular aches and pains have since disappeared only to be replaced by others, the latest being a mysterious sporadic pain in my left foot that had me missing 3 days straight and still inhibits my running, so the second half of the year is getting off to a less than auspicious start.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

You did that shit like a G, yo! 

lily I am scared to grade myself because you might smack me upside my head.  lol What can I say, some of us are just hard on ourselves.

One, don't be too hard on yourself.  In the movie Inception, Leonardo's character states that the most dangerous thing is an idea, for once it takes hold it is hard to fight.  Even though it was just a movie there is truth to that, you will bounce back. stronger and wiser than ever!

Damaris how do you justify a C and you had major flippin' surgery?  I cannot wait to hear this one, yawn. 

Moon shouldn't there have been an A in front of that O-K?  Or B?  lol at either choice.

cause I suck?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

cause I suck?

So far, the year has been going great.  I am behind on the number of marathons I planned on running but the month before surgery was bad.  I am actually ahead of where I wanted to be mileage wise post surgery so I cannot complain.  Too bad this year has been horrible weatherwise because my asthma is worse than last year.  But very happy to be running without abdominal pain.  You never know how much you were hurting until you hurt no more.

Please re-read, yourself, missy.  This looks far from a C...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

So far, the year has been going great.  I am behind on the number of marathons I planned on running but the month before surgery was bad.  I am actually ahead of where I wanted to be mileage wise post surgery so I cannot complain.  Too bad this year has been horrible weatherwise because my asthma is worse than last year.  But very happy to be running without abdominal pain.  You never know how much you were hurting until you hurt no more.

Please re-read, yourself, missy.  This looks far from a C...

You forgot to read about the asthma being a bitch and my pace going slower by more than 1mm.  C!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

You forgot to read about the asthma being a bitch and my pace going slower by more than 1mm.  C!

Read poor Julie from New Zealand's post. You can run without pain, lady. That's a victory in itself.

Julie, I hope you heal completely very soon. I was wondering where you had been.  I hope you get to do your half in November. Hugs.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

This year has been a fail, or possibly a C- if feeling generous. I haven't really run since April due to an overuse issue related to weak glutes and a painful hamstring. I am now supposed to be restarting the slow, safe way with walk/run, but it still HURTS. No fair. I have been getting PT every week since the end of April and have my fourth visit to a sports doc scheduled for next week.

Sorry for spilling my misery guts, but the year wasn't exactly great leading up to the pain finally forcing me not to run. Running through the pain in races certainly didn't get me any PRs. The only consolation is that I now have superbly toned glutes  due to an exercise that I love! My husband HAS noticed, but there is NO way there will be any pics, sorry. 

Then there are the races I have DNS'ed and the big one (my second half) I have planned for the start of November that I am hoping I will not lose too.

And, not that anyone asked, last year was an A, making this year particularly hard to swallow. It's my first year doing the 2014 in 2014 and I feel I've let my team down bad. 

Hope you feel better soon.  And don't worry about the 2014in2014 teammates.  It happens (more often than you imagined).

Damaris

Fundraising Page

I'm pretty satisfied. I had a great marathon this spring when at one point I was questioning whether I was going to make the starting line due to a hip issue. I ran a half in June that surprised me a bit because I had only done easy runs and a few speed workouts after my full. Even though I couldn't hold on to an admittedly too fast starting pace I still came in 32 seconds off a PR.

I'm in a good spot for this fall. I always think things could be better but I would have been very happy back in January to be where I'm at today. I'll give myself an A- .......always room for improvement Wink

HobbitLegs

elevenses

The Good:

i'm coming up on two years and have not had any running-related injuries.

I PR'd at both the 5k and half-marathon distances this past spring.

The Not as Good:

My dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and needs more care and my husband had minor surgery last week, so I haven't been able to build as much mileage as I would like. I also got very sick early in June and am just now getting back to normal with my running. That said, now that I'm back at it, I'm not struggling nearly as much with the heat as I did last summer. My paces are continuing to drop, so that's encouraging. I signed up for a half in November that isn't nearly as hilly as the last one I did, so it'll be fun to see what I can do with a course that isn't all hills.

I'll give the year a solid B.

Hip Redux

I am auditing this year.

adkkev

I give myself a "meh" for the year so far.  Miles are down compared to the past two years ... but then I have been doing a lot of other things (snowshoeing in winter, canoeing & hiking this summer) instead.  And traveling, exploring places we've haven't experienced yet (like Utah and NM, and hopefully PEI this fall). 

I have only participated in one "race" (a charity mud run) and have nothing else scheduled for this year.  Signing up for a race this year just seems anticlimactic after completing a 50k last summer ... & that was my big running goal.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I just completed my tenth event of the year Friday, and will now take a few days off from running to chill.  There have been highs and lows but all in all I am still chugging along.

Injury-wise I had a back strain in late May and some groin thingy this past month or so but neither of them has affected my running too much.

I credit that to my emphasis on strength and flexibility work this year, which probably saved me from a stint on the bench.  Especially with that back thing, that one scared the shit out of me!

What about you, have you reached your goals thus far or are you just beginning to train for them?

Has injury derailed your goals or do you think you will still attain them despite being hurt?

Give yourself a grade for the first 6 months of the year.

Grade:  B- probably.  Cuz I still have health issues that are incurable (arthritis, etc; you'd think with all the advances in medicine being made, some of these geniuses would come up with an out-and-out cure for the afflictions that have no cure yet, like arthritis, cancer,  parkinsons, etc.  ) and I can't run nonstop and still can't do any distance running and my weekly mileage is way low.

On the upside, though, I've accepted that it is what it is and I'm still out there at least doing some running.  Finished my 41st race of the year this past weekend.  With the running that I AM doing, I am having a blast with it, and thoroughly enjoying myself at the races I do.  I've also improved somewhat on my eating habits and for the first time in about 3 years, I am finally under 200 lbs.  Not by much - I'm at 194 - but at least I'm managing to go in the correct direction now.  And between the weight loss and my being more consistent and self-disciplined in doing my run/walks and the other workout programs my docs and physical therapists have designed for me, my body these days is having a whole lot less discomfort than in past years since all this flared up, so that's good.  I can't really say I'm doing GREAT, and I do miss those days when I could get out there and run 6 days a week and do double digit long runs without a hitch - my limit these days is about 10K distance - but all in all, considering where I am now, I think I'm doing pretty good.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Pinktastic

Running-wise, I would give myself a big ole FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

Exercise-wise, I would give myself a D- maybe.   I've been walking and even walked a few races, but lately I have been told to back off so even that is on the decline.

In life in general, I am growing another human so I would give myself a B on that one (placenta issues keep this from being an A at this point).

So, that's probably like a D average, right?   But, if all goes well, I'll be thrilled with the results sometime in late September or early-to-mid October so all of this first 1/2 of the year won't matter.     :-)

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

LRB

Pink, you get an A.  Period. 

Just B.S.

Running-wise, I would give myself a big ole FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

Exercise-wise, I would give myself a D- maybe.   I've been walking and even walked a few races, but lately I have been told to back off so even that is on the decline.

In life in general, I am growing another human so I would give myself a B on that one (placenta issues keep this from being an A at this point).

So, that's probably like a D average, right?   But, if all goes well, I'll be thrilled with the results sometime in late September or early-to-mid October so all of this first 1/2 of the year won't matter.     :-)

Based on the highlighted I would give you a A+. 

The non running is a non issue in the larger life scheme of things. Many years for that

with baby in jogging stroller. Smile