Beginners and Beyond

SaturDAILIES; There's a first time for everything (Read 33 times)

LRB

Really?  I've worn shorts at least a half dozen times including yesterday

The temperature for the vast majority of my morning runs this year have been in the 30s, or lower. The one or few times I've had temps in the 40s the wind was either being a blowhard, or it was raining. It was 45 and sunny when I took off this morning, I haven't had that in ages.

Docket_Rocket

The temperature for the vast majority of my morning runs this year have been in the 30s, or lower. The one or few times I've had temps in the 40s the wind was either being a blowhard, or it was raining. It was 45 and sunny when I took off this morning, I haven't had that in ages.

So, shorts weather...

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Coastal

That was an initial attraction for me; I was going to shoot for BQ there last year, but was dealing with some injuries so ended up running Newport in June instead. I am currently not in any kind of shape, I plan to just go with whatever I've got (as if I could do anything else). The finish in Hayward Field should still be cool (assuming I, you know, finish). Just yesterday I stopped at the LRS to pick up some socks, and talked to the guy there who's also running it (and has before). He mentioned that this is the last year doing that (for a while), since it will be undergoing a major renovation.

Yeah, the finish at Hayward was really cool.  The photographers also took pictures as we ran by the big O which made for a pretty good photo.  Overall I thought it was well run and would do it again.  One thing that caught me unprepared was the first couple aide stations were a little crazy with people cutting each other off and some stopping to drink right in the running traffic instead of pulling over to the side.  One guy almost got run over (by me).  Hopefully they'll have that sorted out for you.

GinnyinPA

Next weekend. Start is a 1 mile walk from the hotel. Maybe I'm being a big wuss, but it's a bit longer than I'd want to walk before one of these things. There are shuttle buses but the nearest stop is 0.6 miles (in the opposite direction). Wondering if it's worth the bother vs. just walking the whole thing. Although I will be with the family so maybe I can get DW to drop me off somewhere closer to the start (depending on where they will let cars go). I am probably overthinking this.

Look at it as practice for Boston. I had a half mile walk from my hotel to the T, then another half mile or so from the T to the bus, then a long walk from the bus to the Athletes Village, then 3/4 of a mile from AV to the start line.

I tried my first post-race run today. I didn't get very far. I've been okay walking the dog, but the impact of running set my hamstrings on fire. I struggled for about 1/2 mile, then dropped to a walk. I tried again a couple of times, but within a few yards I knew there was too much pain to continue. Frustrating.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Look at it as practice for Boston. I had a half mile walk from my hotel to the T, then another half mile or so from the T to the bus, then a long walk from the bus to the Athletes Village, then 3/4 of a mile from AV to the start line.

I tried my first post-race run today. I didn't get very far. I've been okay walking the dog, but the impact of running set my hamstrings on fire. I struggled for about 1/2 mile, then dropped to a walk. I tried again a couple of times, but within a few yards I knew there was too much pain to continue. Frustrating.

Ginny - you got a PR, and at Boston.  I can understand that you're frustrated.  A lot of people do go right back to running, but then there are training plans like Hansons' that say no running for two weeks after a marathon.  Perhaps you can take some solace from that.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That may be an actual injury. I would treat it as such, take appropriate action with massage, icing, rolling, stretching, whatever seems suitable and not force the running. If walking doesn't hurt, now's the time to get back out for some spring hiking. It's looks like were finally getting some weather for it.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.