Beginners and Beyond

Week 33: Penguins are hanging in there!! (08/12-08/18) (Read 13 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Hi! This case is driving me bunkers and I'm too busy for my taste.  LOL.  I ran 5 and lifted last night.  Pilates and either 0 or 7 tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, my barbershop weekend was lovely, although pretty whirlwind.  I managed to sing with all the other participants who weren't my voice part, which was completely crazy.  Some quartets were good, some were great, some were ... a little painful to listen to.  But I had a good time, definitely.

All of my documents for my potential promotion have to be in by tomorrow, so I need to make sure they're uploaded before I leave today.  My narratives are short, definitely ... but every paper I've ever written has been short.  Basically I say what I think needs to be said, and then I have a terrible time expanding on things.  So, that's going to be a big oh well, and hopefully I have actually said what needs to be said, and the supplemental info I have uploaded will help.  Still, I'm a little wigged out.

And my new tech has been ... well ... complicated.  He came late on Friday, forgot his paperwork, and went home sick after an hour.  He was a little late on Monday, worked with the other faculty member for most of the day, and then left early.  And today he went to the doctor and probably won't get here for another half hour or so.  I don't know yet if he realizes he has to account for all this time off ... well, we'll chat about that.  Life is never dull!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

HM - If he's really sick, I feel sorry for him. That's a bad way to start a new job. If not, you may be looking for a new tech.  I'm glad you enjoyed your musical weekend. Good luck with the promotion.

D - I hope your day gets better. Do you want to be running tonight or do you feel like you need a day off.

I took yesterday off, much needed, but felt guilty all day and evening since it was cloudy and would have been a good day to run. Today looks even better though, so hopefully I'll get some good miles in this afternoon. The next few days are supposed to be hot, humid and sunny, so I need to take advantage of cooler weather while I can.

Docket_Rocket

HopesMom, good luck with the promotion!

Ginny, oh, I want to run but remember I share the TM with hubby and I can run these miles on Thursday if needed (my RD).  So, it's not worth it running at the time I should be cooking dinner.  Hoping you enjoy your run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Cute new pic, Docket!!

I took this shot of Dusty in the backyard.  Can't see him?

Look a little closer, at the zoomed picture ...

This is what happens when a 130 lb dog digs himself a hidey-hole!

Docket_Rocket

LOL.  That is awesome.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

I uploaded all my P&T documents.  I'm done with the wigging out.  I'll still have to go through my user list and recommend 4-6 people who could write me letters of support, but it would be my peer committee who solicits those, so as long as I do it fairly soon, it doesn't have to be done by tomorrow.  And then, I'll hear whether or not I was successful around January!!  I figure by then I will have forgotten I started this whole shindig. 

Docket_Rocket

Evening!  I was going to run but I am a bit dizzy and I got home and said FTS, lol.  RD.

HopesMom, good luck!

I got my annual evaluation, which had me a bit nervous because it's a new boss that has been supervising us for like 90 days but it was as good as the ones before, so happy about that.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

D - sorry you're not feeling well. Are you dehydrated or not eating enough?

Docket_Rocket

I am wondering if it was dehydration. My first bottle of water was after lunch.  But also, the BP meds have dizziness and nausea as a side effect, so not sure.  I am also working a lot of hours, so maybe I just need to sleep more.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

I think we all need to sleep more!!  I'm in early for a faculty thing, which runs until 2.  Bleh.  Didn't bike in today because of that.  At least this particular thing is only once a year!

GinnyinPA

D - I hope you feel better today. I know some BP meds make you pee a lot, which will make you more dehydrated, so you probably need to be drinking more, and especially getting electrolytes.

HM - I hope your meetings aren't too boring.

Ben woke us up early again, so I'm only half here today. It's another hot and humid day, so I'll do some miles on the TM this afternoon.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I didn't run yesterday and I feel much better (and not nauseated or dizzy) today.  I have the 8 I missed yesterday and Pilates class.

HopesMom, bleh indeed.  Good luck!

Ginny, fortunately mine do not have the water pill component and I'm happy about that. I get serious bad side effects from those.  Good luck on the TM run.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, I am finally done with my faculty thing.  And yeah, most of it was pretty boring.  I managed not to fall asleep, though it was a near thing a couple of times!  Didn't take a water bottle with me, so of course now I have a headache.  There's always something to complain about!