Beginners and Beyond

Using a race as training for another race of same distance... What pace? (Read 304 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You could always run it as 2 x 12 miles with a 2.2 mile recovery walk. Wink

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

You could always run it as 2 x 12 miles with a 2.2 mile recovery walk. Wink

That sounds just too easy. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I also think it's a totally fine idea--it's not your first rodeo, so you know what pace you should go and all that.  I have no doubt you'll be fine! Smile

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

So, any idea what you'll plan to run it at?

If your PR pace is 8:06/mi, I'm thinkin maybe 8:06.5 or maybe back it way down to like an 8:07 or something?

Randy

BruceD555

I love this thread! First of all you accidentally signed up for a marathon and then you ask a bunch of mental marathoners for advice Big grin

I'd do it for sure ... telling myself to run the January race easy but then get caught up racing it anyway ... Like you said 12 weeks is an eternity!

Train smart ... race smarter.

CrisRuns

I predict you will do it and race it.

Docket_Rocket

I love this thread! First of all you accidentally signed up for a marathon and then you ask a bunch of mental marathoners for advice Big grin

I'd do it for sure ... telling myself to run the January race easy but then get caught up racing it anyway ... Like you said 12 weeks is an eternity!

She got that from me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Coastal

Ok, you're going to wind up racing it but not trying to PR, right?  Big grin

Just monitor yourself.  if all systems are go, then do it.  If not, then scale back accordingly.  As MJ said, this ain't your first rodeo.  You certainly know what you're doing. 

happylily

I see some people have no faith in me... Big grin I'm going to run this thing EXACTLY twenty-four seconds... ok, no... I meant TWENTY seconds slower than April goal pace. I S-W-E-A-R. Watch me. Cool

But going back to the original intend of the thread, my question was more about when is a pace a training pace and when is it close enough to race pace to not be training pace anymore...

Thanks, guys. :-)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

I see some people have no faith in me... Big grin I'm going to run this thing EXACTLY twenty-four seconds... ok, no... I meant TWENTY seconds slower than April goal pace. I S-W-E-A-R. Watch me. Cool

But going back to the original intend of the thread, my question was more about when is a pace a training pace and when is it close enough to race pace to not be training pace anymore...

Maybe we know you more than you think we do.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

CrisRuns

I will watch you. :-) What is the date, again?

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Thanks ila, D. and Adam! I knew someone here would understand me. :-) It will be a good way to test my will-power. Can I run at a set pace without going crazy and then end up like the walking dead? We'll see in January. Stay tuned. :-)

Adam, no, not Paris. I wish... :-) BTW, I found a French running forum which seems very active (people from France, Belgium, Morroco, etc...). I signed up, but then I realized they use all these weird running terms I've never heard of, such as "fractionné court", which is like 800m, I guess? Not sure... I'm too embarrassed to ask someone there...LOL

That's too badJoking. Which site was it? I've got a good excuse for not knowing the wordsBig grin. I noticed as well when talking to people they all talked about VMA (vitesse maximale aérobique)... and they go by speeds not paces (if you think the mins/mile to mins/km is tough, try the mins/mile to km/h calculation on the fly!). 

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them