Beginners and Beyond

Labor Day Monday Penguins (Read 13 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I wasn't sure if we'd keep posting on the weirdo weekend thread or not =P

Anyway, today I'll either do a streak run or 5 miles easy.  To be determined.  I'm trying hard to get used to waking up without coffee.  I've given in an allowed myself one cup of green tea every morning to help clear out my sinuses (which used to be a big perk of the hot coffee).  Later in the day I'm heading into the city to play boardgames with friends like the super cool kid that I am ;-)

What's everyone else have planned for today?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning and Happy Labor Day, Jill and Pens.

5 planned for this morning with DW when she awakens.  Might be in the rain.

Have fun in the City, Jill.  Our girls, SIL and little pittie are doing the reverse and coming out to the suburbs to visit us for a BBQ.

Enjoy the day off !!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and 6.  Trixie kept waking me up every 15 minutes since 6am so I'll need a nap at some point today.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Went to the track to run while my club was doing their workout - a few other club members were also there just to run and not to do the workout, so I felt less like an outcast. 4.37 miles, felt good.

Coach agrees that my on-and-off shin aches are probably due to tight calves, will likely go see my PT this week to get her opinion, figure out a stretching routine, and maybe get a dry needling treatment. He also thinks I've been coming back very conservatively to this point and can afford to try to bump the mileage up a little more this week, so that was encouraging Smile I'll walk or walk/jog tomorrow depending on my shin/calf situation and maybe shoot for 5 miles Wednesday morning.

PADRunner

Morning, it was supposed to be a RD but I did 4 to stretch out my legs from yesterday.

Need to study for my General Class radio license this afternoon.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jill, that sounds fun.  What are you playing?  My geeky secret is that I play Dominion.  

Damaris, enjoy the run and nap!

Lauren, nice running, I'm glad your recovery is going so well.

PAD, is that the Ham radio operators license?  My dad and son are both radio operators (and my grandpa was, back in the day...).  It was so cute; when my son got licensed at about age 14 he started attending monthly meetings and was the only person there not eligible for AARP.  He figured out the dress code pretty quickly and started wearing a vintage Motorola ball cap from my grandpa to the meetings.   (so now you know the dress code, if you have a club windbreaker that's also appropriate!)

I'm headed out for an easy 5.  Zel, you asked about a taper - I'm only running shorter easy miles this week.  I probably shouldn't have done the 2 longer runs this weekend, but I think I'll be OK.

Zelanie

Hey guys.  Going to go in to work for a bit, then have 7 later.

We play quite a few games here.  DH owns about 34978453454 of them.  We haven't played much Dominion lately because DD has decided that she doesn't like it.  I like train games the best. 

sapf- I still don't feel like I've started my day until I've had a nice big cup of decaf.

Jerry- Enjoy the family day!

D- Hope Trixie is OK!

Lauren- Always good to hear you can push it a little more. Smile  You did such a good job in the pool.

PAD- Hope the class is good.

Brilliant- Glad you're getting to take it easy a bit this week. Smile

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Good morning Penguins!

Jill, that sounds fun.  What are you playing?  My geeky secret is that I play Dominion.  

Hahaha - that's really funny.  My husband is the creator of dominionstrategy.com =P  We don't really play dominion too much in person (too much shuffling) but we play a lot of different eurogames.  I'm not sure what we'll play today.  There are literally hundreds of different games at the google offices (where we play).

Docket_Rocket

Hey guys.  Going to go in to work for a bit, then have 7 later.

We play quite a few games here.  DH owns about 34978453454 of them.  We haven't played much Dominion lately because DD has decided that she doesn't like it.  I like train games the best. 

sapf- I still don't feel like I've started my day until I've had a nice big cup of decaf.

Jerry- Enjoy the family day!

D- Hope Trixie is OK!

Lauren- Always good to hear you can push it a little more. Smile  You did such a good job in the pool.

PAD- Hope the class is good.

Brilliant- Glad you're getting to take it easy a bit this week. Smile

She was just purring wanting some love. Maybe she thought I was late for work?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

PAD, is that the Ham radio operators license?  My dad and son are both radio operators (and my grandpa was, back in the day...).  It was so cute; when my son got licensed at about age 14 he started attending monthly meetings and was the only person there not eligible for AARP.  He figured out the dress code pretty quickly and started wearing a vintage Motorola ball cap from my grandpa to the meetings.   (so now you know the dress code, if you have a club windbreaker that's also appropriate!)

Yes, I've had my Technician Class license for years and I decided to upgrade to General..