Beginners and Beyond

RR: Wallis Sands Half Marathon (Read 75 times)

workinprogress11

Your training translated to a great first HM.  Congratulations!  Next sub 1:45.

On on a side note, I don't know wtf I typed instead of training in the first sentence, but it autocorrected to navel ring. That's why I always proofread.

Loved your race report. Your times are fantastic. And that last mile?? IMPRESSIVE!!

BTW I like the flavorful cuss words. 

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

From the Internet.

Thanks everyone! Big grin

WIP - I literally LOLed at the autocorrect! Sub-1:45 sounds very nice, if I can't get it this fall I'll be attacking it next spring!

Kathleen, glad you also appreciate my flavorful cuss words, LOL. I was mentally swearing for a large portion of those 13.1 miles, so it just felt wrong to leave them out of an accurate report!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Great first half!

Was the Gatorade cold? I find that any cold drink in a race gives me horrendous stomach cramps, sort of like you describe, where you're not sure which end it might be coming out. I wish I could offer you a solution, but so far my only solution has been to avoid drinking anything (including water).

outoftheblue

Those splits are awesome!  Congrats on a great race!

Life is good.

Great job, Lauren!

Way to overcome the Gatorade-Instigated issues.

First full this fall, sweet!

From the Internet.

Thanks guys!!

HCK - I don't think it was particularly cold, no. I think the issue is just that at that effort level for that long, nothing really sits well in my stomach. I think I'll probably go without anything next half I race, maybe swish and spit out some Gatorade if the heavy legs feeling happens again and I can't surge my way through it.

I wasn't super in control of my legs, I had put them on autopilot miles ago, so I just had to not consciously stop and the legs took care of me. Thanks legs! 

THAT'S CALLED TRAINING, BABY!! Seriously, to me the key to racing is your legs have to do what you have trained them to do, and you need to have trained them well enough that they totally ignore your brain, which is screaming at you to stop this nonsense right away.

Tremendous race, you were so much better prepared for your first HM than, ahem, some of us were. And it totally paid off. Sorry about the stomach issues, but I predict your main memory of this race will just be kicking ass to the finish.

Now, when's your marathon? 

Dave

happylily

Lauren, you ran a very impressive first HM. Huge congratulations!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010