Beginners and Beyond

My busted knee thread aka WOE IS ME, WOE IS ME! (Read 659 times)

Just B.S.

Well crap.

Can you swim with the knee? You could make this a positive for 2013 and hit the pool

hard. You are a great runner and cyclist. You could be a darn good triathlete by 2014!!

BruceD555

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear the bad news on the knee Phil. I'm hoping you a speedy recovery this go around with the ACL surgery.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Chairman

UPDATE.

Knee doc says I re-tore my ACL and meniscus.  I have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow morning to confirm, but he's pretty confident it's an ACL tear based on the tests he performed.  He said surgery isn't absolutely necessary, but recommended if I want to get back to where I was.  I'll opt for the surgery.  I've been through it once and it sucked royally, but at least I know what to expect.  Plus I have the insurance to cover it.

This really puts my entire year up in the air.  I won't hit any of my goals, but really I'll just be happy if I am running pain free for the start of 2014.  I really do wonder how long it'll take to get back to where I was two weeks ago.  Man, I was doing great too.  I can pretty much kiss a 2013 marathon good bye.

In the meantime, they told me to pedal and elliptical as much as I can to get the swelling down.  I have a fair bit of blood piled up in my knee.  Doc said there's no reason I can't run before surgery if the pain is tolerable.

Fun, fun.  Two major surgeries on the same knee and I'm only 40.  

My high school track coach never had surgery on her torn ACL, and she ran fine as long as it was in a straight line. You cold probably run just as well without the ACL reconstruction, but you certainly couldn't ski, which I am assuming is your goal.

Out of curiosity, what kind of graft did they use for the first reconstruction? Will they be doing a hamstring or patellar tendon graft for this one?

Also, you should tweet RG3 so you guys can support each other in your recovery. Good luck.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

delicate flower

Just B.S., the doc said that for now I should do whatever I can, including running.  It's not like I can damage the ACL any more than it already is.  Swimming may be a viable option during recovery though.  DW has already mentioned that.

Bruce, thanks.  I appreciate that.

Scrape., ACL surgery already ended one sport for me (deck hockey).  I won't allow it to end another (skiing).  I want to ski again.  I love doing it.  The risk is worth the reward.  I had a hamstring graft last time.  I had more problems with the hamstring than the knee during rehab. 

<3

So sorry about your knee, Phil.  At least you are covered by insurance and know what lies ahead.

You have a great attitude.  You will be back where you left off before you know it.  But, in the meantime, whine away.  We are here to listen.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

LRB

You are a great runner and cyclist. You could be a darn good triathlete by 2014!!

Great point!  Also known as making lemonade out of the bushel of lemons you received, instead of the peaches you were expecting.

Where's MBC?  She hasn't been around since your injury.  You didn't say anything stupid did you, like "See what you made me do!"  Wink

Just B.S.

Great point!  Also known as making lemonade out of the bushel of lemons you received, instead of the peaches you were expecting.

Where's MBC?  She hasn't been around since your injury.  You didn't say anything stupid did you, like "See what you made me do!"  Wink

I'm big on the making Lemonade stuff. Gotta deal with the crap you are handed and make the best of it!

LOL on that one LRB!  Our man Baboon would never be that stupid!! I think MBC is busy taking care of

Baboon with lots of TLC!!

LRB

-

I'm big on the making Lemonade stuff. Gotta deal with the crap you are handed and make the best of it! 

A glass half full gal 'eh?  Be still my beating heart!

Just B.S.

-

A glass half full gal 'eh?  Be still my beating heart!

It's the only way to go baby!!   No sense spending any part of your life in regret or wishing "what if".

One of the nun's who taught me at my all girls Catholic High School (yes LRB  you read that right Smile)

was a big fan of motivational quotes. Her favorite by Teddy Roosevelt  was imprinted on my memory

and I think I have used it almost every day of my life in one way or another.......

Do what you can

With what you have

Where you are

and she would always add in a loud booming voice.........TODAY!!!

LRB

Do what you can

With what you have

Where you are

.........TODAY!!!

Indeed!

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

Well nerts Phil, I was hoping to get to meet you at teh Colchester Half, and got all excited that maybe you would have to run it slow so we could run together.  Hope you heal up soon and if I brew again so I will drop off smaples as you are close to work for me.

Tick: I'm sure millions of viewers out there are just wondering what it's like to wear the tights of justice. Well, it's tingly and it's uncomfortable, but it gets the job done and, oh, the job of it.

mucknort

Rather than drag down the dailies or create my own thread, I'll just post here that I went to see the surgeon in Boston and discovered that I have not one but 2 hernieas that need repair (left and right inguinal). Surgery is next Wednesday the 23rd.

hog4life

Phil, I haven't posted much towards you as I've been dealing with my own health issues. I just want to say that I'm sorry to hear that you'll need surgery again. One way I look at stuff like this, is that it just a minor setback in the big scheme of things. Hang in there, as both of us will get through our setbacks.

Mitch

delicate flower

Well nerts Phil, I was hoping to get to meet you at teh Colchester Half, and got all excited that maybe you would have to run it slow so we could run together.  Hope you heal up soon and if I brew again so I will drop off smaples as you are close to work for me.

I have not completely closed the door on the Colchester half.  It's a month away.  Doc says I can run, so I'll just have to see if I can handle 13 miles by then.  If I can, it won't be at HM race pace, that's for sure.

mucknort and hoglife, best of luck to you two as well.

<3

Little Blue

The very idea of running a HM on a torn ACL, well that makes me cringe!  Of course I've never had a torn ACL, so maybe I'm ..  nope, it still makes me cringe!  We have a friend who tore hers clear through.  She had a transplant.  I had no idea they could do that, but she has a donor ACL. Cringeworthy and cool at the same time.

Take it easy on that thing!