Beginners and Beyond

The new list is out; Do not say these words in 2015 (Read 105 times)

Similar to Little Blue, I'd like to add the word "Journey" when used to describe a long and difficult training regimen or in any other non-travel or non-Steve Perry  related context.  I did not have a "Weight Loss Journey" I put the fork down.  Meb did journey to the finish line at Boston last year.  I'm sure it involved an airplane from his home in San Diego, a bus or car to Hopkinton, followed by two hours and eight minutes of really fast running.

I think we got rid of "epic" and "journey" last year.  It didn't stick though. lol

One of the worst sentences I have ever seen on the internet was "I'm rocking a weight loss journey." That might have been the very peak of journey overuse.

This is funny. I posted the following almost exactly one year ago in the 2014 banished words thread. We really need "journey" to make this list next year.

2014 thread link

LRB

I remember that post Fuzzy, and think about it whenever I hear the word journey used in that manner. lol

B-Plus

I remember that post Fuzzy, and think about it whenever I hear the word journey used in that manner. lol

That was an epic post.

LRB

That was an epic post.

I see what you did there.

B-Plus

I see what you did there.

I also thought the great migration of 2012 was quite the journey.

LRB

I also thought the great migration of 2012 was quite the journey.

That was epic.

Buelligan

Onboarding.  Some telemarketer called me at work and asked if I was involved with onboarding in my lab.  I don't even know what that is, so I told him no.

My new thing with telemarketers is to waste as much of their time as possible.  I'll act interested and lead them on and on for as long as I can.  Sometimes it's with a made up accent or I'll keep putting them on hold and start the process over.  I never break character and it's always them that make up an excuse to hang up.

If there isn't a word for that, I'm going to make one up now; tele-punking.  Feel free not to use it in 2015.

My new thing with telemarketers is to waste as much of their time as possible.  I'll act interested and lead them on and on for as long as I can.  Sometimes it's with a made up accent or I'll keep putting them on hold and start the process over.  I never break character and it's always them that make up an excuse to hang up.

If there isn't a word for that, I'm going to make one up now; tele-phreaking.  Feel free not to use it in 2015.

I used to think this sounded like fun, but ended up deciding it was more fun to do pretty much anything other than talk to telemarketers. Disconnecting our landline was a good start. When I do get one on my cell, as soon as I recognize it, I say "no thanks" and hang up.,

I bet you can have some real fun if any Jehovah's witnesses come knocking at your door.

Dave

Buelligan

I bet you can have some real fun if any Jehovah's witnesses come knocking at your door.

I've only done that once and it was Mormons.  I wasn't mean, I was really nice.  Too nice.